NEWS: Re: Radio Comercial Lisboa ON

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, PIRATE, PUBLICATION, SCHEDULE, QSL, QUESTION.
or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx

Form: Reply
Text: (14 lines follow)
Re the reports about Guinea Bissau being unheard on mediumwave, I am not at
all surprised; the station is almost certainly still broadcasting, but only
on FM.

Over the past few years several African countries have stopped using
mediumwave altogether in favour of using much cheaper and reliable FM
transmitters. For example mediumwave has long been dropped in both
Congo-Brazzaville and Congo-Kinshasa in favour of FM (although shortwave is
used to reach remote areas).

You wrote:

>This is a message from Beppe Gornati <bgornati@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>I have no idea if the situation has now changed, but in the first days of
>this January (= 8 months ago) I was in Southern Senegal, practically 30 Kms
>far from the border with Guinea Bissau. With a Kenwood R-5000, I  have
>tried every possible official/unofficial/declared frequency of Guinea
>Bissau; results: nil,
>not even the ghost of a carrier. Then I met two police officers of Guinea
>Bissau; having asked about their radio, they started laughing...
>Apparently, they/nobody was able (since long) to hear the G. B. radio even
>in the capital city.
>>From the above, I came to the conclusion that the radio was totally
>inactive or worse. I repeat, this was last january, I do'nt know if now
>anything can have changed.
>
>Best regards.
>Beppe  Gornati
>Italy

Hello Beppe.  Did you make extensive loggings of medium wave DX heard in
Africa
?  Please E-mail that to me if you have it.  Also, if you know of any good
E-mail or Web access to information about MW DX loggings made in Africa,
please
let me know.  I understand that my local WNRB-1510 is heard in South Africa.

That makes sense since their main lobe is headed between 60 and 120 degrees
east of north.  Both trans-oceanic and regional loggings made by African
DXers
are of great interest and usefulness to me.  I see many "hard-core" listings

made from Europe and North America, and some from Australia and New Zealand,

but what's being heard in Africa is largely unknown to me.  On this end,
Lesotho-1197 and Sao Tome-1530 are the most commonly heard Africans
(excluding
the easily heard Moroccans, Algerians, Libyans, and Egyptians).  Data about
off-channel signals (such as various Angolans) is always of value.

Mark Connelly - WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA
WA1ION@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Previous From: owner-hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxx
Previous To: hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxx
Original to: hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxx