NEWS: Emerald Radio, Ireland

Helo friends,
I´ve just received a message from Emerald Radio concerning the problem
with their P.O. Box in Dublin. I hope it is interesting for all.
Greetings from
            Klaus Köhler
            Ortsstr. 38
            D-07330 Oberloquitz
--- Begin Message ---
Dear Emerald Radio Listener

Many apologies over the delay in replying, I believe our postal
difficulties have been finally sorted out, though you may be interested to
read a report of what happened which we have prepared. Our apologies to
you, I hope you may care to read the report below to see the problems we
were having.

Bernard

REPORT
Dublin is broken up into about 24 postal districts Dublin 1, Dublin 2, and
so on for the purposes of a PO Box number, the postal district is
relatively unimportant, as there can only be one number eg PO Box 200 in
use in Dublin, its assigned postal district is merely for convenience, eg
as I live in Dublin 12 I could choose that Emerald Radio was PO Box 200,
Dublin 12,  for collection at my local office. But all post is first sent
to to PO Box headquarters before being sent on to the postal district.

When I got the P.O Box I asked would there be a problem if some post did
not have a postal code/district on it. I explained that like "Radio
Luxembourg" (something they could relate to) we would suffer a lot of
interference. I was verbally told that would not be a problem.

Importantly some post did come through without the postal district "1" on
it. However most were returned. So the goal posts shift according to the
inner workings of "An Post" the Irish postal service.

Some post was sent on by "An Post" to postal districts that where not
mentioned at all,
it appears they were sent there by "An Post" at random

I used to work in "Radio Dublin" and post got to me with just Bernard
Evans, Radio Dublin, Ireland. or to Radio Dublin, PO Box (correct No)
Dublin Ireland.  No postal district needed.

The Post Office will make great efforts in most places to get post sent to
the correct places, if they have been incorrectly addressed, by either the
number or street. There are about 24 postal districts in Dublin, obviously
I can pick one available number EG 200 and have all my post delivered to
one of those Dublin postal districts, obviously there can only be one 200
or any other number.

What we have subsequently found out about "An Post" was that if you pick
your Dublin postal district of e.g. 01, none of the other districts are
made aware of it's existence, and amazingly in my opinion the place that
all the so call "Dead Letters" for PO boxes, does not have a list of the
active PO boxes in Dublin. So if for example you sent something to xx
Radio, Dublin 18, instead of Dublin 17, Dublin 18 will send it back to the
PO Box main department who "according to them" do not get informed of new
activation?s numbers. They can look a name if it "does" match the name of
the owner of the box, eg if something is posted to "Evans" they could see I
paid for PO Box 200 but in the case of it being posted to Emerald Radio
they apparently can not tell that PO Box 200 is active, because according
to the they are not informed, (saying again these are the people who deal
with this problem) so they just post all the letters back again to the
return address.
They were asked why the could not (as indeed the other districts for that
matter) be informed via a proper list of something as simple as this, in
our case we had spent the equivalent of about $400 US for 18 months
service. No explanation was offered, as to why such a simple task, and in
my opinion a necessary commercial function was not in place

 We also asked as to why after the post office PO Box department had
returned the first 10, 20 , 30 , letters sent to PO Box 200, nobody in
there thought to check. They returns were being stamped  "Not Listed"
Stating that PO Box 200 was "Not Listed" totally sent out the wrong message
about our existence.  PO Box 200 is listed, they don?t have the list,
that?s literally their problem, at best/worst they should have stated
"insufficient data" or similar. Instead of adding the insult of stating we
were "Not Listed" to the injury of not receiving our post.

No other explanation could be offered as to how we received some letters in
a way we supposedly could not have, or why random postal districts were
sent our letters, and would lay there for ever, as we would be totally
unaware of this.

We have being testing the box ourselves now and it "appears" to be working,
though we are not encouraging people as such to send again, for fear our
name is further blackened. It will also be huge disappointment return to
college after the holidays explain to the students the story, who will be
bitterly disappointed for themselves and their portfolio at having
virtually no reaction response to two years of hard work. If the college
allows me I intend to initiate legal proceedings against the post office

SUMMED UP, WE FAIL TO SEE WHY THE POST OFFICE COULD NOT SIMPLY LOOK UP PO
BOX 200 TO SEE WAS IT AN ACTIVE POST OFFICE BOX BEFORE THEY RETURNED SO
MUCH POST BACK TO PEOPLE ALL AROUND THE WORLD. THE PEOPLE SPENT A LOT OF
MONEY AND THE STUDENTS HAVE BEEN LEFT WITHOUT REACTION TO SUCH A HUGE
PROJECT .
IT IS COMPARABLE WITH PROFESSIONAL INCOMPETENCE.

Thanks for your patience and I hope understanding

Bernard

Listen In Streaming Audio To International Radio From Ireland.

http://www.emeraldradio.com

eMail global@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx