EQUIPMENT: JRC NRD-525

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, OFF-TOPIC, PIRATE, POLITICS, PUBLICATION,
SCHEDULE, QSL, QUESTION. For more information, please check
http://www.iki.fi/rko/hard-core-dx/ or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx

You wrote ...
> Subject: QUESTION/EQUIPMENT: NRD-525
>
> Hello everyone, And I thought the WWW was the infinite library
> where you could find anything! Well, not really. I've been looking
> for some on-line info (specs, photo, mods) on the NRD-525, but
> absolutely nothing. Radio Netherlands only has a few reviews from
> older receivers and other searches resulted in nothing.  Any of
> you know where? I'm particularly interested in how well the noise
> blanker works against man-made noise.
>
> Hans
> Hans van den Boogert - DSWCI 3029
> Tucheng, Taiwan

Regarding articles about the NRD-525 receiver, besides Magne's
reviews, the definitive work is on pages R12.1 to R12.9 of Fine
Tuning's "Proceedings 1989".  The article is by John Bryant and
bears the title of "Wastegunner on a 525" with the subtitle
"A Dirty Elbows DXer's View of Japan's Current Best DX Machine".

John probably wouldn't mind E-mailing you a copy of the article.
I'm not sure what graphics format the two illustrations are
(JPG, GIF, BMP, or ??).  John could probably "zip" the text
and drawings down to a single file that could be sent out as
an E-mail attachment.  Contact him at "bjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
and "bjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx": one (or both) of the
addresses should work.  He tends to split his time between
residences in Oklahoma and Washington state.

The Proceedings books were a tour-de-force in DX writing with
many superb articles by the "brain trust" of the radio hobby.
There are extensive bibliographies to point you out to many
further resources.  I think that John may still have these
available for sale.  I know of six volumes: 1988, 1989, 1990,
1991, 1992-3, and 1994-5.  Whether there will or won't be a
1996-7 version remains to be seen.  Many DXers are eagerly
awaiting a reappearance of Proceedings.  Perhaps the next one
will be published on CD-ROM with hypertext links.

73 & best of DX to all ... Mark Connelly, WA1ION