[hard-core-dx]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME NINE - NUMBER THREE

[hard-core-dx]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME NINE - NUMBER THREE

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------P O BOX 3103, ONEKAWA, NAPIER. NEW ZEALAND.-------

EDITOR: Graham J Barclay.
Phone: 0064-6-835-9186.
Fax:     0064-6-835-9186.
Email:  kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
WWW site 1: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9885
WWW site 2: http://www.lls.se/jal/fr/kiwi.html

This page is sponsored by: SRS-News - Sweden.
	           http://www.lls.se/jal/links.html
and                 http://www.lls.se/jal/index.html

			NUMBER NINE - VOLUME THREE

September 21st 1997

Hello and welcome

There was a successfull broadcast on Sunday September 14th on 7475 KHz
USB from Radio RJK, MEGA SHORTWAVE and of course KIWI Radio. We ended up
losing 30 minutes of Radio RJK programming due to a "tight" time frame
in which to broadcast in, which resulted in the
programme line-up being:  06.30-06.45 Radio RJK
			      06.45-07.45 KIWI Radio
		                  07.45-08.15 MEGA Shortwave
			      08.15-08.30 Radio RJK
We hope that those that heard the programmes enjoyed them.
The contact addresses are: Radio RJK / MEGA Shortwave
				P O Box 16-002, Tamatea, Napier
				New Zealand
			       KIWI Radio:
				P O Box 3103, Onekawa, Napier,
				New Zealand
RETURN POSTAGE IS APPRECIATTED - THANKS !!.

We here at the WEEKLY are also about to introduce the world of
"MICRO-BROADCASTING" as it is known in the USA. Here in
New Zealand and other countries it is known simply as "LOW POWERED FM".
In New Zealand this form of Broadcasting is permitted under the New
Zealand Department of Commerce, Radio Frequency Service Regulations.
"Low Powered FM" broadcasting is covered in the Section of the
regulations known as RFS29 of the Broadcasting Act.
This section allows for the use of FM transmitting devices up to the max
allowable output of 300 mw EIRP. No Licences are needed, and the Radio
Frequency Service does Not have to be informed, although we believe they
should be told by the operators, so that they - the Radio Frequency
Service Know what is happening, and who is on what frequency, Just a
small point of politness that can prevent possible major problems later
on.
The Frequencies here in New Zealand for this type of broadcast are:
88.20 - 88.80 MHz and 100.20 - 100.80 MHz range.
The comment from the Radio Frequency Service is: They are Not allowed to
cause interferance to any "Licensed Service", and must tolerate
interferance caused to them.
Already there are a number of stations operating  this way to broadcast,
using relays that pick the original signal and repeat it on a different
frequency, therefore increasing their range.
Included in this, is Hawke's Bay where there is already a station
operating in this way ( Not connected with us ).
The Station operated by KIWI Radio, and Radio Sue will also be operating
in this frequency range competing with the existing operation, on the
same frequencies of 88.60 MHz and 100.60 MHz.
The name for our NEW station is SOUNDWAVE FM - Hawke's Bay, and we are
due to start 24 hour broadcasting on October 1st 1997.

In the USA "Microbroadcasting has been around for many a year with
famous stations like Free Radio Berkley, and Black Liberation Radio
being a couple of fore-runners in Micro-Broadcasting.
For those who would like to learn more about a couple of these stations
here are some WWW sites for you to go to:

FREE RADIO BERKLEY
		http://www.freeradio.org
BLACK LIBERATION RADIO:
		http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~p-riism/rfc.html
THE FREE RADIO PRESS:
		http://www.rootsworld.com/rw/feature.rrb.html
BEAT RADIO 97.7
		http://www.beatworld.com
THE RADIO MUTINY COLLECTIVE
		Email ONLY:  wppr@xxxxxxxxx

Happy Surfing. If you want to contribute to this section, or any other
Radio Item, please just Email us at:    kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
and we will do the rest.

Now onto other news:

			************************

	FAREWELL TO A GREAT DXer:

ARTHUR  CUSHEN

I regret to advise you that Arthur Cushen died this morning (Saturday )
at
0030 NZST                        (Friday 1230 UTC)

Messages of condolence can be sent to

Ralda Cushen
212 Earn St
Invercargill
New Zealand

Funeral arrangements will be notified to once known

Regards

( Mark Nicholls <nicholls@xxxxxxxxxx> - Greyliners )

Further to my previous message on Arthur Cushen I have been advised that
-

The funeral is at 11.00am Tuesday.
			-----------------------

Arthur will sincerely be missed by all in the Radio World - DXer's and
Broadcasters alike.
Our Deepest sympathies and Condolences go to Ralda , his family
and friends.
		"MAY GOD BE WITH YOU - and thanks
		  for the many many years of dedication
		  to the hobby of DXing -
		 REST IN PEACE ARTHUR ".
73's
>From KIWI RADIO, Radio Sue and SOUNDWAVE FM.
			------------------

Subject: Arthur T. Cushen  1920 - 1997

New Zealand's best known shortwave and DX radio enthusiast
 Arthur Cushen passed away at 12.30am NZ Time this morning,
 Saturday 20 September in Invercargill Hospital.
His wife Ralda was with him at the end.
Funeral arrangements have yet to be finalised but may be on Tuesday
 morning 23 September - I plan to attend the funeral representing the
 present administration committee of the NZ Radio DX League and will
be happy to pass on any messages to Ralda.

Bryan Clark
for NZ Radio DX League
			---------------------
Alo Dxistas,

Eh com muita tristeza que eu retransmito esta noticia encontrada ha
 pouco em minha caixa postal  Para que nao o conhece, Arthur Cushen
era um simbolo no DXismo Neo-Zelandes.
Com sua morte fica um exemplo de que ainda fazemos pouco pelo hobby.
O Clube DX-ista do Para tambem se solidariza com outras entidades
 mundiais a familia deste que foi, memso sem o termos conhecido um
 exemplo para nos.

Djaci Franklin Silva
Presidente do CDXPA
			---------------------------

Hello, everyone.  I found this sad message from Bryan Clark in New
Zealand in my e-mail, and when I did not see it on the newsgroup,
I thought that I had better pass it on.  Sad to say, one of the
legends of shortwave and mediumwave DXing, Arthur Cushen, M.B.E.,
is gone after fighting bone cancer for many years.

If you would like to get in touch with Arthur's wife by snail mail
with a card, her address is:
Ralda Cushen
212 Earn Street
Invercargill
New Zealand

E-mail messages may be passed on to Bryan Clark, who will give them
to Ralda.

73--
Marie Lamb

		-----------------------------
For those of you who may not have heard, a legend in the shortwave
 listening field passed away on Friday at 8:30 a.m. EDT. I grew up
 reading Arthur Cushin's articles and intercepts and I can truly say
that
it had a profound influence on my early years in the radio hobby.
 We have truly lost a great and caring man who devoted his life to the
 radio hobby. Rest in peace my friend.

73 de N5FPW SK

Larry Van Horn
Assistant Editor
Monitoring Times magazine
			-----------------------------

Sep 20, 1997

It is with great sadness to report the following passing of our
SWL brother:

Mr. Arthur T. Cushen  1920 - 1997

New Zealand's best known shortwave and DX radio enthusiast Arthur
Cushen passed away at 12.30am NZ Time this morning, Saturday 20
September in Invercargill Hospital. His wife Ralda was with him at the
end.  The funeral service is on Tuesday. In the funeral notice she has
requested no flowers, but a donation to the N.Z. Foundation for the
Blind.

Messages of condolence may be sent to:

Mrs. Ralda Cushen
212 Earn St
Invercargill
New Zealand

Dawn Beckingsale (Arthur's secretary) beckings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bryan Clark (clarkb@xxxxxxxxxxxx) plans to attend the funeral
representing the NZ Radio DX League and will be happy to pass on any
messages to Mrs. Cushen

This report was compiled from various reports.  Thank you to: Mark
Nicholls, Bob Colyard, Bryan Clark, Dawn Beckingsale, Marie Lamb and
Rob Ross.
 73's
Ulis R. Fleming<>Radio Amateur: K3LU (ex:WB3LUI) TI5NW<>Shortwave
Listener
 Maryland, U.S.A.                 <>          Internet:
ulis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
         Club Babalu  http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/4819/
           Cumbre DX Home Page:  http://www.grove.net/~cumbre
    Cumbre DX Página en Español: http://www.netcom.com/~ulis/cumbre.html
		***************************

RADIO WAVES INTERNATIONAL:

Our WWW page has been recently updated
Go to:		http://www.imaginet.fr/~rwaves/index.htm

Future broadcast are plan on October, and a special broadcast to
celebrate RWI's 14th birthday on November 1997.
11401 KHz and possibly 7484 KHz too.

73's  F.F.F.R !!!
Peter Hills  ( 13/Sept/97 )
Radio Waves Int , BP 130 92504 RUEIL cedex ( France )
Email:  rwaves@xxxxxxxxxxx
			************************

COMO CONVERSAR ON LINE:

Prezados Amigos:

Conversei com um amigo meu,  dono do provedor local e consegui uma
"sala" para podermos conversar....

        Isso é para facilitar para quem nao tem MIRC ou ICQ ou ainda
IPHONE. BAsta acessar a Home Page do provedor e selecionar "conference
room". Depois escolha o canal radioescutas....

        Mais perto do fim de semana vamos marcar um horario para
conversarmos....

O endereço da HP é:

       			 http://www.netview.com.br/

Aguardo seus comentarios e tambem os melhores dias e horarios para
conversarmos:

        Evandro Stanger ( 14/Sept/97 )
        cabixi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
			************************

DX SITES SOBRE:

  Alô !
   Quero tornar publicos alguns sites sobre o tema do radio. Alguns
sairam na revista Conexion, do Gabriel I. Barrera (Informacoes, e' so'
mandar mail p/ ele). Outras, procurei nos Yahoos geral, da Inglaterra e
da Franca.
http://aloha.nmsu.edu:80/w5gb/swl  (uma porcaria, existem melhores)
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/1847   em frances
http://troyadii.fi-p.unam.mx/radio  pagina do Mexico
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/1214/ars.htm
Amigos Radioescutas de Santiago
http://www.net-link.net/~dalev/swl.htm  A melhor! (sabia que a Voz do
Vietnam esta' na net ?)
   Se quiserem enviar mais algum, e' so' clicar

   73s cariocas,
   APD ( 14/Sept/97 )
ad1020@xxxxxxxxxxx
aldoria@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
			**********************

DXing WITH CUMBRE:

Hello, everyone--

This is the latest schedule for DXing with Cumbre.
It's direct from Joe Brashier of World Harvest Radio.
You'll note a  change in the KWHR schedule; the 1130  Saturday time has
been dropped.  The 2200 Sunday  transmission from WHRI is apparently
gone for now as well. Presumably, there will be more changes in the
fall,  and also when the new KWHR transmitter (now being tested)
goes on the air full time.

 DXING WITH CUMBRE SCHEDULE AS OF SEPTEMBER 11, 1997

WHRI Angel 1 (To: South America/Caribbean)
    0500 - 0530 Saturday        7315 kHz
    1730 - 1800 Saturday        9495 kHz
    2230 - 2300 Saturday        9495 kHz

WHRI Angel 2 (To: Europe/Middle East/Africa)
    0500 - 0530 Saturday        5745 kHz
    1430 - 1500 Saturday        6040 kHz

KWHR Angel 3 (To: Asia/Pacific)
    0230 - 0300 Saturday        17510 kHz
    1630 - 1700 Sunday    9930 kHz
    1830 - 1900 Sunday  13625 kHz

Address for written and taped reception reports:
 World Harvest Radio
 P.O. Box 12
 South Bend IN 46624
 USA

URLs for World Harvest Audio Web site, which includes
real-time RealAudio transmissions of "DXing with Cumbre" and other
World  Harvest programs:
http://www.whri.com         or           http://www.kwhr.com
World Harvest Radio also QSLs reception reports for
RealAudio transmissions; you can report them through the Web site.
Schedules  and frequencies are also available there. Thanks for
listening and contributing to DXing with Cumbre!

73--
Marie Lamb (15/Sept/97)
			***************************
NOW FM - AUSTRALIA:
Heres the latest from Bundaberg for inclusion in the weekly. NOW FM was
heard during the week  on 106.8 and announced it was closing last
Wednesday
to re-open on Feb 1st 1998 as POWER FM on 107.5 as a legal local station
as
his period for testing was finished. Returned today (Saturday) on 105.9
(Stereo) with continuous mix.Pirate or not? There is also a strong
unmodulated FM (mono) carrier on 104.8 on the band. I await further
developments!
( Anon - Australia  - 20/Sept/97 )

Please note that RADIO ZODIAC is going to test
to the world on September 21st, 00.00-07.00 UTC
on +/- 6290 kHz. Please check that dial for any
report to them.

73's

Graham J Barclay
KIWI RADIO - NEW ZEALAND