[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME TWELVE # 4

[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME TWELVE # 4

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------P O BOX 3103, ONEKAWA, NAPIER. NEW ZEALAND.-------

EDITOR: Graham J Barclay.
Phone: 0064-6-835-9106.
Fax:     0064-6-835-9186.
Email:  kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
WWW site 1: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9885
WWW site 2: http://www.lls.se/jal/fr/kiwi.html

This page is sponsored by: SRS-News - Sweden.
	           http://www.lls.se/jal/links.html
and                 http://www.lls.se/jal/index.html

				       # 50
		VOLUME TWELVE - NUMBER FOUR

December 28th 1997

Hello and welcome to another edition of the K.R.W.

			***************************
AUSTRALIAN PIRATE: - RADIO G'DAY

**Newsflash from Claude Crowe**

Radio G'day International will make it's return to air on December 31
( New Years Eve.)

Frequency will be 11401 kHz between 0600-0900 UTC

Address is :  	RADIO G'DAY
		C/- P O Box 3103
		Onekawa
		Napier
		New Zealand

(via Claude Crowe - Radio G'day )
			********************

SOUTH AMERICAN PIRATES:

Radio Cochiguaz, one of the S.American  pirate station, will be on SW on
the next week on 6950 and 6980 KHz LSB via its own transmitter with a
b/cast power of more than 100W, according to the following sked, and
making use of a antenna double dipole 1/2 wave, relaying also other Free
Stations.

UTC times:

Friday 26 December 1997, on 6950 khz:

0130-0230 Radio Cochiguaz

On 6980 khz

2130-2215 Laser Hot Hits
2300-0000 Radio Cochiguaz

Saturday 27 December 1997, on 6950 khz

0100-0200 Radio Blandengue
0230-0330 Radio Natalie (Estonia)
0400-0500 tent. Radio Bubenfunk (Germany)

On 6980 khz

1900-2000 Radio Cochiguaz
2030-2115 Laser Hot Hits
2200-2300 Radio Blandengue
2315-0000 Jolly Roger Radio International (Ireland - Eire)

Sunday 28 December 1997, on 6950 khz:

0100-0200 Radio Cochiguaz
0230-0330 Radio Blandengue
0400-0445 Jolly Roger Radio International (Ireland - Eire)
0500-0600 Radio Natalie (Estonia)

Contact address to the stations:

*Radio Cochiguaz: via RC, Casilla 2571, 1000-Buenos Aires, Argentina.
 or via Radio Cochiguaz, Box 109, Blue Ridge Summit, PA 17214, USA.
 Contact via E-mail (only for to receive messages): rc@xxxxxxxxx

*Radio Blandengue: via RB, Casilla 2571, 1000-Buenos Aires, Argentina.
 or contact directly via E-mail: radio.blandengue@xxxxxxx

*Jolly Roger Radio International, Box 39, Waterford, Ireland.

*Laser Hot Hits, Box 293, Merlin, Ontario N0P 1W0, Canada.

*Radio Natalie, P.O. Box 3260, EE-0090 Tallinn, Estonia.
 (This station request 2 US$ dollars for QSL, NO IRC's PLEASE.)

*Radio Bubenfunk, Postfach 220342, D-42373 Wuppertal, Germany.
 (This station is tentative if RC receive the tape programme on
 this days)

Only snail mail reports will be verified with QSL, and please include
2 IRC for to cover the postal fees.

Sources:   Cachito Mamani of Radio Cochiguaz
                Raul Gonzalez of Radio Blandengue
                Placing: somewhere in South America
                December 20th, 1997.-
			**************************

U. S PIRATE:  RADIO USA

Radio USA has battled the violent swells of the icy north Atlantic to
bring our pathetic brand of Pirate Radio to Europe. After 15 years of
broadcasting and several relays in Europe, we decided to take the plunge
and sail our trademark leaky bathtub to your part of the world. Despite
bouts of diarhhea, scurvy, and gout, we made it to a secret location in
Western Europe.

We will be broadcasting on December 28, 1997 for about 24 hours near
6275 KHz. We aren't sure what time we'll start, or when we'll sign off.
The programme will include some old segments from the last quarter of
1997 and some new segments. We'll have punk rock, the RUDX DX programme,
UK travel tips, stupid jokes, Mailbag 1RU, and more with Moglie, Ginger
Aile, R.F.Watts, Joe King, Gary Indiana, and Mr. Blue Sky. We will not
have any live programmes because we would all rather put down some
kippers and tea than freeze or get electrocuted in the leaky bathtub.

We QSL accurate, detailed reception reports 100%. We have many QSLs
available and a two-sided infosheet. Please send two IRCs or 1 U.S.
dollar (send two U.S. dollars if you like the idea of us broadcasting
from Europe again).

Our web page is:
http://www.frn.net/stations/radiousa/index.html
( via SRS News - Sweden)
			********************

MEDI DX Homepage Updated:

This is to inform you that the MEDITERRANEAN DX GROUP Homepage has been
updated.
Now with an interactive map where you click on the country you are
interested on. New countries to be activated soon.
You will find a complete MW Spanish Stations List with local/Regional
programmes schedule.

We would like to receive your comments about our homepage.

( via  Jorge Garzon - Email:<jgarzon@xxxxxxxxxx>)
			*********************

RADIO SPARKS via WRMI:

Radio Sparks can be heard again on Sunday the 28th of December via WRMI
on 9955 khz from 05.30 - 06.30 UTC.

You can send me your reports via email for FREE!! Well, it is Christmas
isn't it?!
I don't think anybody will be writing for a few days to come, unless you
are all on a diet!! So why not throw yourself at your computer and write
a few lines.

My new QSL card is called 'Feed the World' and is in colour.It's free
and waiting for you.Just send me about 15 minutes of what you heard.
Don't forget to write your address as well.All mail will be sent via
cheap post to save on the costs.

(via DJ Stevie - Radio 510 - Email < scarlett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>)

HTTP://home.pi.net/~freak55/home.htm
for details.

on behalf of the editor, Peter Verbruggen;

Joop ter Zee
"senior spammer"
FRSH
			*********************

--PIRATE RADIO: It was the year of the pirates -- and the year of the
pirate busts.  Emboldened by what looked like an indifferent FCC,
unlicensed broadcasters sprouted all over the region during the spring
and summer.  Steve Provizer's Radio Free Allston was among the most
visible of the pack, along with expanded-band AM operations in Lowell,
Worcester, Bridgeport, and Westerly RI (the latter claiming to be
running legally).  Quieter, but still part of the movement, were
stations like Rebel Music Radio in Boston, "WDOA" in Worcester, and
several religious pirates in Hartford. Syracuse became a center of the
pirate movement upstate, with several unlicensed broadcasters in full
swing.  In New York City, the band beneath 92 MHz teemed with
micro-radio stations in many neighborhoods.  A few stations, most
notably on 87.9 in Westford, played nothing but music -- albeit still
without a license.  Even the tiniest of communities found unlicensed
radio
voices during 1997 -- witness "CRAMP FM" up in Houlton, Maine, and the
long-running "EB 101" in a few blocks of East Boston.
And as soon as it all began, it all came crashing to an end with the
Halloween-week busts at Radio Free Allston, "WDOA," and a college pirate
in New Hampshire.
Most of the region's other microbroadcasters got the
message and shut down their transmitters and web pages, while the few
that remained carried on their business much more quietly than
before.  This is one story that's bound to carry over into 1998, as
Provizer and others launch a court challenge to the rules that silenced
them in 1997.  Meantime, the onslaught of religious satellite
translators continued without end; a list would take up the next
several issues...

(via Scott Fybush - NERW 12/25/96)
		***************************
ALLAN WEINER  LEGAL !!!

Just thought you'd like to know that former American pirate Allan H.
Weiner now has a construction permit to build a LEGAL 50,000 watt
shortwave station at his farm in Maine!  He got the news just a few
days before Christmas.

( via Anita L.McCormick)
[ ed Note - GOOD LUCK ALLAN from us here in New Zealand)
			********************

TRANSATLANTIC RADIO

For those of you, spending your New Years Eve at home, enter the new
year with TRANSATLANTIC RADIO. Starts of at 2230 CET with the best dance
music of 1997 and a new years party on 76 mb.

(via Transatlantic Radio)
			*******************

DATES AND SITE ANNOUNCED FOR 1998 MEXICAN NATIONAL DX MEETING:

The Fourth National Meeting of Mexican DXer's will take place
July 31-August 2, 1998 in the city of Tehuacan, in Puebla State
-- about three hours southeast of Mexico City by car or bus.

Tehuacan is well-known throughout Mexico for its hot springs and
sparkling mineral water.  It also produces wines, and houses a number of
colonial churches and temples. Tehuacan is only 90 minutes from Puebla,
Mexico's third largest city, which is surrounded by breathtaking
volcanos and ruins of ancient pyramids.  Puebla is famous for its
cathedral and other colonial buildings, a large central plaza, colorful
Talavera tiles and great leather shoe and handicraft shopping.

A tentative program for the DX meeting has been announced by organizer
Erika Guerrero Buendia, including seminars on "Radio in Cyberspace,"
"DXing in Mexico and the New Millenium," "Perspectives on the University
Station", "Youth and DXing", "Tourism Promotion through Shortwave
Radio," and "Culture on Shortwave Radio."

Other convention sessions will deal with how to choose a receiver, how
to make a reception report, how to form a DX club and how to make an
external antenna.  "Stamp Collecting and Shortwave," clandestine
stations and environmental programs on shortwave radio are the topics of
other seminars.
 There will also be a welcome dinner, a tour of Tehuacan and the
surrounding area, and roundtable discussions with DX club leaders and
radio station representatives.

All shortwave listeners and broadcasters throughout Mexico and around
the world are invited to take part in the Mexican National DX Meeting in
Tehuacan.  A basic knowledge of Spanish will be helpful, as most
convention activities will be conducted in Spanish.  If there is
sufficient interest, there may be activities in English as well.  The
meeting site is accessible by very comfortable deluxe buses from Mexico
City's international airport.
Hotel and conference costs will be minimal in order to permit the
maximum number of people to attend.

For more information on the Fourth National Meeting of Mexican DXers,
contact Jeff White, coordinator of international attendees.

Mailing Address:  Mexican National DX Meeting
                     c/o Radio Miami International
                     P.O. Box 526852
                     Miami, Florida 33152 USA
Telephone:  +1-305-267-1728
Fax:  +1-305-267-9253
E-mail:  wrmi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

			**************************

RADIO SAN MARINO INTERNATIONAL:

RSMI likes to thank for all received e-mail reports, specially for those
received from North America. Unfortunately the propagation were very
strange this weekend.
In addition, due to a thunderstorm during night nearby our location in
San Marino, we had been forced to stop our broadcast for several hours
and to change a little the Sunday morning schedule.
*** The beginning ***
We heard again that the discussions about our transmitting site are very
active.
Just a few definitive words: Our programmes ARE coming from a mobile
site IN the Republic of  San Marino; in any case, if you do not believe
that the signal of RSMI is originated from San Marino, do not worry
about this and please just listen to our broadcast like any other
unofficial station from anywhere in the world, if you consider our
programmes interesting for you, independently from the country of origin
!  However we are very happy for the activation of a new country (any
connection with HAM), for all BCL and DX-er that belives in RSMI !
*** The end ***
Till the next transmission (probably on Sunday morning only, January
19th, 1998) all the best from the RSMI staff.
Have a  Happy New Year!
----------------------------
http://www.exactweb.com/RSMI
RSMI@xxxxxxxxxxxx
			***********************

Art Bauers new book- A review by William L. Howard

        I recently received a copy of Art Bauers new book, titled,
 " FUNKPEILUNG ALS  ALLIIERT WAFFE GEGEN DEUTSCH U - BOOTE 1939 - 1945"

It is a very high quality book and contains 323 pages, 49  line drawings
and 30  black and white photographs, Most of which are 8" x 10"
pictures.
The text, however, is in German so unless you can read German it doesn't
make a great deal of sense. The book explains the propagation of radio
waves, the  Enigma Coding system and the Enigma machines as well as the
method of communication to the submarine fleet.  A detailed description
of the German U-boat radio organizations is included.
The most important chapter  describes the operation of the HUFF-DUFF
(HF/DF) [High Frequency Radio Direction Finding] and the details of how
it worked. The antenna system, which was the backbone of the system, is
explained in great detail.
The author has also integrated into the story  the eye witness reports
of
three British Huff-Duff operators,  but they  have been translated into
German!

The explanations of the Enigma messages which were sent for different
purposes, and then were decoded at the Governments Code and Cipher
Center at Bletchely Park, were based on original Public Record Office
(PRO London) documents. In the appendix is a copy of the entire Enigma
(general) manual M. Dv. Nr. 32/1, as well as several copies of other
original coding material. Metox history with never before published
details; "Kurier" the top secret super fast U-boat's transmission
system. This enabled messages to be transmitted within 454 msec!!!!
Included is a picture of the inside of this apparatus, which has never
been printed
before in un - classified documents. This section was based on an
article
that was originally written by a British colleague and the author has
extended the description of the technology in this chapter.  He has also
included an extract from a British film strip recording made during
their
trial testing of the system in 1945/46. All the important technical
principles of the system are described. Also included was a contribution
from a German co-author  describing the technical  details of the
"Goliath
Sender"  which was considered the world's most powerful tube VLF
transmitter (up to 1000 kW output). It was able to send signals to
submarines while these were submerged, even in the Indian Ocean!

I went through the book in great detail and found the pictures to be
excellent, there were numerous schematics and many excellent photographs
of the German sets and the British equipment. The section on the Enigma
has been covered in other books, in English, but this is a necessary
element in understanding the subject of the book. This book will make an
excellent addition to the history of both radio development and in the
history of submarnie warfare as it was conducted in WW II.

I can only hope that the author will find the time to prepare at least a
supplament to the book with an English translation.  With such a
supplement, I would recommend the book to everyone with an interest in
radios and or submarines.

William L. Howard
LTC Armor USAR(Retd)

THE WILLIAM L. HOWARD ORDNANCE TECHNICAL INTELLIGENCE MUSEUM
e-mail wlhoward@xxxxxxx Telephone AC 813 585-7756

			***********************

Basic Collection of Japanese Radios. Part 7

By: LTC William L.Howard
[ The following was originaly published in:
		"The Military Collector Post"
an Email Daily Magazine devoted to the preservation
of History & The Radio's that made it.]

WW II JAPANESE TYPE 94 - 3 A WIRELESS STATION
By: LTC William L. Howard

A reasonably rare Japanese Wireless set is the Type 94 - 3 A
Wireless Station.  There are three known examples in the
United States and one in England.  While there may be others,
they have not surfaced.  I was fortunate to obtain a complete set,
in the transport case as well as an accessory chest.
Of the known sets, mine is probably the most complete.
Several of the WW II Japanese sets became the subject of
Technical Bulletins designed to show the American troops how
to use the set if captured.  Unfortunately the Type 94-3 A set was
not one of them so there is very little known about this set.

The set was first written about in the WW II TM 11-227 A on
Japanese Radios. This was a cursory description, designed
more as an identification guide than a technical study.
It is officially designated as the Type 94 - 3 A Wireless set,
Mark 36 Transmitter, Mark 36 Receiver and another set is
identified as having a Mark 36 Type D Transmitter and a Mark
36 Type D Receiver.  The Data Plate also has the designation
SP 3 in English and the set is sometimes called the SP 3.
The Type 94-3 A set with the Mark 36 Transmitter and Receiver
is listed as CW only.  The set with the  Mark 36 D Transmitter
and receiver is listed as Voice and CW.

The set is transportable by pack animal, being loaded on two
pack horses or on a Class C transport wagon.  The set, at wars
end came in three transport chests, although the Army TM
indicates two chests..  Chest No2, which I have never actually
seen, must be the chest shown in TM -E-30-480" Handbook
on Japanese Military Forces and  contained the Model 29 E
hand cranked generator, power cables, a pull out drawer
which contained the transmitter coils, a compartment with
spare tubes and a compartment which probably contained
headsets and keys as well as antenna wires.

Chest No 1, which is shown in the photograph housed the
transmitter, the receiver and the receiver battery box on the
left side.  On the right side was a drawer which when pulled out
revealed three compartments. Four of the receiver coils were
stored in two green felt padded spaces. The center compartment
contained other accessories.  Above the drawer was a small area
which was probably used to store the technical manual and
possibly message pads. Above this space was a compartment
with a removable front panel. The set shown in the book,
A Pearl Harbour and the War in the Pacific shows spare tubes
in this compartment. The inventory chart inside the chest cover
was for the No. 2 chest so it was of no help in identifying what
was supposed to be in there. The compartment was probably
designed to hold the key, and the headset. It may have housed
the remote control unit for remote keying.

The Army TM on Japanese Communication Equipment shows a
small chest housing the four transmitter coils, with an empty
centre compartment.  This small chest was the drawer from
Chest No. 2. The contents list for Chest No 2
indicates four  coils which were the transmitter coils.

Chest number 3 which is designated as the Accessory Chest,
It  has an open space at the top and three drawers which pull out.
The bottom right drawer was designed to hold spare batteries
for the receiver and for the flashlight.  The center drawer was
for a variety of small parts such as resistors, capacitors and
screws as well as oil can, cleaning cloths ,spare bulbs and neon
indicator bulbs. The drawer on the left was to hold solder, wire,
friction tape and hemp yarn.  The open upper compartment was
to hold a No 7 repair kit, more batteries, a Type 92 flashlight,
although this is not confirmed and more receiver filament
batteries.  It also held an item that was translated by
Mr. Takashi Doi as ACANDOL which I originally  assumed was
a holder for a candle or perhaps an alcohol burner used to heat
the soldering iron in the tool kit. Later information was that
a blow torch was used to heat the soldering iron. The candle
container was most probably the leather case that contained a
candle lamp that was collapsible.

The tool kit held a soldering iron, a screwdriver, a pair of
tweezers, a pair of pliers  and a combination wrench set of three
wrenches joined at the centre. I was able to come up with this
repair kit but it  was missing the screwdriver The soldering iron
cleaned up nicely but the other tools were so badly pitted that I
had them re-chromed.

In addition to the items in the chest, the inventory list also had
a note that the antenna pole sections were to be in a canvas
case fastened to the chest.  The antenna was a flexible, single
strand wire, 66 feet long, light yellow in color suspended between
two jointed poles of alloy pipe that were 23 feet high.
There must have been 16 of these poles.  In addition, there
were also two ground wires, a black one 33 feet long and a
brown one 66 feet long.

The radio proper is housed in a metal case inside the No 1
transport chest.
The front cover has three catches which must be released to
allow removal of the cover.  Inside the cover are the schematic
diagrams protected by an isenglass cover.  There are also two
calibration charts which can be removed, from the metal frame
holder.

The radio set with the Mark 36 Transmitter and receiver is
a 15 watt transmitter capable of CW  used for medium range
communication. The Army TM states that it is ideally suited for
guerilla warfare, since it can be used for months without
replacements or battery charging. Chromium plated surfaces
make it suitable for use in the tropics.  It was used between
divisions and regiments. The No 3 platoon of the Division signal
company was issued ten of these sets.  Each section consisted
of one NCO and 6 men.
These sections were then dispatched to the various regiments
and division troops as needed. In the same fashion, the
regimental signal company sent sections down to the battalions
and to regimental gun battalions.

It uses a UZ 510 B tube in the transmitter which can be
replaced by a US 807. The transmitter requires 500 volts for
the plate supply and 7 volts for the filament supply .
This is provided by a hand cranked generator.
The army TM shows a power cable with a solid plug that plugs
into a socket.
The actual power connection strip is capable of accepting both
a plug and a cable with  spade lugs. This may have been done
so the set could be powered by both the hand cranked generator
and a power supply run from an AC line. One would assume
that a division headquarters would have a large generator
producing AC to operate all the devices that would have been
there.

The transmitter covers 0.4 MC to 5.7 MC. There are  5 transmitter
coils, 1 through 4 are simple plug in coils.  Number 5 coil has a
switch marked 1 or 2. Four coils stored in a chest and the fifth
was plugged in to the set.
The transmitter has a built in key and provision for connecting
an external key, as well as connecting to a remote control.
Keying is in the negative high voltage lead, which with 500 volts
can lead to a nasty shock if using the front panel key.
The transmitter is crystal controlled and by removing the crystal,
the master oscillator is connected and tuning is accomplished
manually.

To the best of my knowledge, no examples of the remote control
box exist.
The schematic diagram shows a patch cord with plugs on both
ends.  I have the patch cord but not the remote control.
Maybe some day a sample of this device will surface.

The receiver is a five tube six stage superheterodyne.
Rf circuits are trimmed by adjusting  circuit inductances and
capacitance.  Inductances can be reached from the top when
the set is removed from the case.  The detector has a Rheinartz
type  regeneration controlled from the front panel.
The receiver covers 0.35 MC to 6.0 MC and is capable of voice
and CW reception. The receiver is powered by four Mark 18 B
dry cells, 22.5 volts each and One Mark 3 square model dry
cell for the filaments and a Mark 129 C cell for bias supply.
The batteries are kept in a drawer at the bottom of the set and
wired to a socket that mates with a plug on the back wall of the
case. The battery compartment has a cover, probably fibre
board with a wiring diagram for the batteries, which was missing
from the set which I obtained.

In this article I have given only superficial coverage to the
transmitter and receiver because Ken Lakin has one of these sets,
has it operational and is writing a more detailed article on the
set, its circuitry and its performance.  Since he is better qualified
to discuss the electronics than I am, I leave the readers to await
his article.

As a collectors item this set is very desirable and scarce.
This set had serial number 3524 The date of manufacture in
Japanese is shown as 2 1 and 6 1, which means the set was
made in December 1941.  Ken Lakin has the set with the
transmitter serial number 3984 which was made in October of
1937. so it can be inferred that there must have been at least
3984 sets made prior to 1938.  This however is doubtful as
these sets were issued on the basis of 10 per Division Signal
company. I suspect that it is more likely that serial number blocks
were assigned to an assembly point and they used them as they
put these sets together.

In the No. 1 transport chest and with the No 2 Chest and the
No 3 Accessory Chest this is a very rare set.  I have hopes that
some day the No 2 chest will turn up, maybe even with a
generator! And maybe I will find the correct front cover for the
NO. 1 Chest!  In the meantime, I am looking for a Number 3
receiver coil and the Number 3 and 4 transmitter coils.
If anyone has additional information on the set and would like
to share it,
contact me by mail or e-mail at wlhoward@xxxxxxx .

( via William Howard)

See you all next week - Good DX