Re: [HCDX]: Re: [HCDX]: UNID ¿USA or PTR?

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, john sgrulletta wrote:

> Jorge-
>
> Sounds like you were listening to WTOP in Washington, DC on 1500 khz (50
> kW). Address is 3400 Idaho Ave NW. Washington, DC 20016, USA.
>
> Why you heard them in Spanish or why on 1590 khz is a mystery to me. No
> stations, either English or Spanish, are on 1590 khz from Washington, DC
> according to my 1997 NRC Log.
>
> 73s-
> John Sgrulletta
> Mahopac, NY

Well, my boyfriend lives just down the street from the WTOP transmitter
just outside of Washington, DC.  He often gets interference on his phone
and computer from WTOP, and also from another AM station in the
neighborhood that carries Latin American music and announcements in
Spanish.  I know that I have sometimes heard both stations at once when
talking to him on the phone!  I forget the callsign and frequency of the
Spanish station. However, I wonder if this could be some sort of odd
mixing product of the two stations or something, since I guess their
transmitters are pretty close to each other. Any ideas out there?

Marie Lamb