Re[2]: [HCDX]: Country List Debate

Risto,

You brought up a very important point of DX-ing in Finland.  You said that it is
not sensible to compare with someone who travels everywhere and reports locally
or nearly locally.  That is exactly what you are doing over there.  The distance
between Hanko and Utsjoki is about 1100 kilometers.  About the same distance
than from my location 3 kilometers west of Geneva (Switzerland) airport in
France to Manchester, England or Budapest, Hungary or Hamburg, Germany or
Madrid, Spain or Palermo, Italy.  You really cannot compare your achievements
with DX-ers from other countries, when you do not do your DX-ing from a single
location as most of us in Central Europe do (Fellow DX-ers please correct me if
I am wrong).  If we travel the distances you do in Finland, we are very soon
outside the borders of the country where we live.

What about people living in USA?  They can travel quite a bit further than you
can travel within Finnish borders, but still their travelling cannot be called
"travelling everywhere", because USA is considered as one country.

It is not only the newcomers which should continue in the hobby.  It is also
with us "old-timers" for whom it is not always so evident, why we should stay
with the hobby.

I think, I am a "special case".  I started DX-ing back in 1959 in Finland.  I
went through the "Finnish Competition" at the time.  My best rankings among
Finnish speaking DX-ers were at one time 10th on short waves, 2nd on medium
waves, 2nd on utilities and 1st on TV.  However I did not stay long on that
level for several reasons (DX-ing from a single location, using my iron bed as
my best antenna, my studies, my work, etc.).

I left Finland in 1969 to work first in USA for a year and half.  After that I
moved to Switzerland and in 1987 to France.  As the "Finnish rules" for counting
stations and countries limits listening only inside Finland's borders, my
achievements could not be listed in the Finnish DX publication to compare the
results with listeners in Finland.  Therefore, I have been like an orphan for
the last 30 years.

As stubborn as I am, I am still a member of the same Finnish DX-club I started
with in 1959.

Fortunately there are other DX-clubs where competing with other members is not
the most important part of the hobby and your achievements from different
countries can be published without you feeling guilty on imposing your ideas.

Best regards and good DX to everybody,
Esko

Esko Ahlroth
243 Route des Marlis