[HCDX]: G Hauser's Shortwave/DX Report 99--83

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-83, Dec 30, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only providing full credit be maintained at all stages. If
excerpting, this means appending the line above}

** ANTARCTICA. I was trying for North Pole. I caught South Pole on 20
meters. Dec 22, Neil, KC4AAA was on 14283.1 a 0130 UT. Nice 5 x 7. He
is 62, has been working 14 years on-site. This is where the YL
scientist suffering with breast cancer was airlifted out for
treatment. So, hams and SWLs should keep an ear out for Neil. QSL
manager is K1IED (Bob Thomas, CT)

** BOLIVIA. 4802v, Radio Mamore, Guayaramerin, 0034 UT Dec 26,
"Estan en sintonia de CP 147, Radiodifusora Mamoré, transmitiendo en
los 4815 kilociclos, en la banda de 60 metros, desde Guayaramerin, en
la Republica de Bolivia" (Rogildo Fontenelle A., Cochabamba)

** BOLIVIA. 4766.5, Radio Constelacion, Guanay, 1050 UT Dec 25,
"Desde Guanay, capital de la 2ª sección de la provincia Larecaja, del
Departamento de La Paz, Radio Constelacion Guanay en Sintonia",
"Esperamos en la Calle Boston de Guanay, Nr. 123, y atendemos
llamadas al telefono 0811-6296 con Casilla de Correo en La Paz 15012"
(An employee of the station gave me something completely different on
the phone) (Rogildo Fontenelle A., Cochabamba)

** BOLIVIA. According to a telephone contact with R. Juan XXIII, I
was informed by the secretary that there is still no definite date
for changing frequency. Let us be patient and stay alert (Rogildo
Fontenelle A., Cochabamba, Dec 27)

** ETHIOPIA [non]. Clandestine from Germany: Confirmed the Ethiopia
for Democracy broadcast is on 11670 Wednesdays 1600-1700.
Announcements in undetermined language over Horn of Africa music at
sign on, slight echo effect made copy difficult but many mentions of
Demokrati. Mostly music broadcast but announcements in between again
mentioning Demokrati several times. Fair at start with some fading,
steady signal by end of broadcast (Mike Barraclough, England, Dec 29)

** ETHIOPIA. 5500, Voice of Tigre Revolution.  As reported in
Paniview now on longer schedule, 1720 tune in, mostly Horn of Africa
music with lady announcer, news at 1855, did a quick check on 4800
1859:30 and off one sesquiminute later when I returned. No sign of
7515. Fair signal on clear channel (Mike Barraclough, England, Dec
28)

** PERU. 6520.6, Radio Paucartambo, Paucartambo, 0230 UT Dec 29,
"Radio Paucartambo, emisora municipal", program in Quechua, s/off
0300, good signal (Rogildo Fontenelle A., Cochabamba, Bolivia)

** PORTUGAL [and 30+ MHz propagation]. A second harmonic, first one
for me on this band: Rdif. Portuguesa in PT with futebol game, 1530
Dec 12, also Dec 13, 14 on 31080 = 2 x 15540, with good signals, and
again Dec 25. But faded quickly. Sometimes audible past 1600.

Also throughout the day, a lot of Mexican traffic. Some sounded like
simplex with the same on two [illegible] different frequencies on VHF
low along with California Highway Patrol and California county fire
departments coming in. Also cordless, I believe, phone calls from a
doctor in Jamaica on 46.30 MHz and lots of military traffic, both
English and French. A band well worth watching in the coming months
(Ron Trotto, IL)

** RUSSIA. Call of Hope via IBRA Radio, a Christian station in Arabic
I noted 2000-2100 on 5935, also scheduled 7420 7425 1170 from
transmitters in Krasnodar, Samara and Moscow. Addresses: Call of
Hope, P.O.Box 100827, 70007 Stuttgart, Germany, also P.O.Box 57420,
Limassol 3315, Cyprus. e-mail info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Internet
http://www.call-of-hope.com (Mike Barraclough, World DX Club Contact
Jan)

** SEYCHELLES. UNKNOWN SITE. Voice of Forgiveness, another Christian
station in Arabic. I heard broadcasts 0345-0430 on 15530 and 1100-
1300 on 15535. On the last frequency they have a programme in special
English at 1245 on Saturdays only. I noted this station after 1300
too. VoF announce address in Beirut, Lebanon. Fax in Lebanon:
00961453021; e-mail: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ;
http://www.arabicradio.org  (Robert Petraitis, Lithuania, World DX
Club via Barraclough)

Checked the website for the last one and is mostly in Arabic but one
of the links shows up as Schedule: Moscow. (Barraclough, Dec 29)

It is FEBA, exactly matching Arabic daily scheduling in BBCM issue of
Dec 22. Altho in the past some broadcasts on the FEBA schedule have
been from other sites, there is nothing in this listing to indicate
anything other than Seychelles. See also http://www.feba.org.uk
(Hauser)

** SOUTH AFRICA. Hi, The normal South African Radio League
transmissions on Sundays will be extended for an hour on this Sunday
the 2 Jan 2000. At the usual time 08:00 UTC to 09:00 the normal
program will be on. From 09:00 to 10:00 will be a phone in program
for all to wish their friends a happy new year. The frequencies are
9750 and 21530. The telephone no. for the SARL special will be passed
on as soon as it is available.

BBC [via South Africa only here, presumably -gh] also has special
transmissions 0n the 31 Dec 99. From 12:00 to 12:45 on 21640 and from
18:00 to 22:00 on 17590. On the 1 Jan 2000 BBC will be on 9515 from
03:00 to 04:00. All times in UTC. 73, (André du Toit, RSA, Dec 29,
hard-core-dx)

** SUDAN [non]. Netherlands/Sudan: Dutch SW broadcast to Sudan on New
Year's Day -- Text of "Media Network" report by Radio Netherlands on
30th December

On Saturday 1st January, Radio Netherlands is working together with
the domestic radio broadcaster NCRV [Nederlandse Christelijke Radio
Vereniging] in what's best described as local Arabic - it's the
language spoken in war-torn southern Sudan. As part of its 75th
anniversary celebrations, NCRV Radio is working with us to improve
the information flow in that part of Africa. Programmes are being put
together in East Africa and broadcast into Sudan on shortwave from
our transmitter site in Madagascar. In the course of 2000, more
regular broadcasts will commence once a programme to distribute
windup radios has been implemented.

So at 0427 UTC on 1st January 2000 you will hear this on 15320 and
12070 kHz: [Recording of announcement saying "This is the Voice of
Salam, the Voice of Hope. This is the Voice of Salam."] That music is
being used as the interval signal for indeed the Voice of Hope. The
test transmission lasts for an hour, so until 0530 UTC, the channels
again 15320 and 12070 kHz. By the way there is no connection with the
Voice of Hope of the Seventh Day Adventist Church.

Reception reports, especially from Eastern Africa, would be
appreciated. You can send them c/o the Media Network office, for this
test transmission this coming Saturday only. The address is Sudan
Radio Project, c/o Media Network, Radio Netherlands, PO Box 222,
1200JG Hilversum, the Netherlands, and the e-mail to remember is
media@xxxxxx Source: Radio Netherlands external service, Hilversum,
in English 1150 gmt 30 Dec 99 (BBC Monitoring, excerpted by Hauser)

** U S A. For the last two weeks of December, I've been hearing a
pirate identifying as "Berkeley Liberation Radio" on 104.1 MHz FM.
Programming is a very strange mixed bag, including rap, classic 1960s
rock, Appalachian folk music, James Brown, and techno music
interspersed with often hilarious (unintentionally, I must assume)
political rants sounding like something from 1967. I've noted this
station as early as 6:00 am PST on weekdays and as late as 1:00 am
PST on weekends, but no schedule has been announced. Technical
quality is uneven, with announcer audio often low and muddy but good,
clear audio on music. Announcers typically sound like amateur night
in Dixie; they frequently have trouble working the equipment, mumble,
and use "you know" too often. Signal is best south of University
Avenue in Berkeley down to the Jack London Square area of Oakland,
although signal is audible on Alameda. Signal peaks near the
intersection of Ashby and Seven in Berkeley and I suspect the
transmitter is within a few hundred yards of that area. (Harry Helms,
Alameda, CA, Dec 29)

** U S A. I am demented to report that Dr Demento did appear on KSPI
93.7 Stillwater OK Sunday evening Dec 26 as scheduled at 8-10 pm CT,
since there was no silly ball game (wrestling) to pre-empt it (Glenn
Hauser, Enid)

** VIETNAM [non]. As of January 1, 2000, Que Huong Radio will expand
its transmissions on shortwave as follows: - Monday to Thursday from
1300 to 1359 UTC on 9930 kHz - Monday to Saturday from 2300 to 2359
UTC on 17510 kHz Programmes are in Vietnamese and broadcast from
[KWHR] Hawaii towards Vietnam. If you are looking for air-time on
shortwave, be sure to check <http://www.air-time.org>. (Ludo Maes,
Transmitter Documentation Project, Dec 30)

PROPAGATION OUTLOOK: I did not have time for this on WOR 1018 so here
is the info from SESC in Boulder. Note that disturbed conditions are
forecast around Jahrwechsel, as a result of normal solar rotation, so
Y2K maniacs should not jump to conclusions about some other cause!
Note: the original is all-caps, no offence

FORECAST OF SOLAR AND GEOMAGNETIC ACTIVITY
29 DECEMBER 1999 - 24 JANUARY 2000

SOLAR ACTIVITY IS EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM LOW TO MODERATE LEVELS.
OCCASIONAL TO FREQUENT C-CLASS FLARES AND ISOLATED M-CLASS FLARES
ARE LIKELY THROUGHOUT THE PERIOD. REGION 8806 MAY PROVIDE A CHANCE
FOR AN ISOLATED MAJOR FLARE SOMETIME DURING THE FIRST PART OF THE
PERIOD UNTIL THE REGION ROTATES OFF THE DISK ON 31 DECEMBER.

THERE IS A CHANCE FOR A PROTON EVENT AT GEOSYNCHRONOUS ORBIT FROM
REGION 8806.

THE GREATER THAN 2 MEV ELECTRON FLUX AT GEOSYNCHRONOUS ALTITUDE IS
EXPECTED TO BE AT MODERATE TO HIGH LEVELS DURING 01 - 05 JANUARY.
OTHERWISE, NORMAL TO MODERATE LEVELS ARE EXPECTED.

THE GEOMAGNETIC FIELD IS EXPECTED TO BE AT UNSETTLED TO MINOR STORM
LEVELS DURING 31 DECEMBER - 03 JANUARY DUE TO RECURRENT CORONAL HOLE
EFFECTS. QUIET TO UNSETTLED LEVELS ARE EXPECTED FOR THE REST OF THE
PERIOD, BARRING ANY EARTH-DIRECTED CMES.

:Product: 27-day Outlook outlook.txt
:Issued: 1999 Dec 29 2111 UT
# Prepared by the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, Space Environment
Center
# For a descriptive text, write to SEC or refer to our Web page.
# Web page URL:   http://www.sec.noaa.gov/wwire.html
#
# Twenty-seven Day Space Weather Outlook Table
#          Issued 1999 Dec 28
#
#   UT       Radio Flux   Planetary   Largest
#  Date       10.7 cm      A Index    Kp Index
1999 Dec 29     150           5          2
1999 Dec 30     145          10          3
1999 Dec 31     140          12          3
2000 Jan 01     135          20          4
2000 Jan 02     130          20          4
2000 Jan 03     130          15          3
2000 Jan 04     130          15          3
2000 Jan 05     135          10          3
2000 Jan 06     140           8          3
2000 Jan 07     145           8          3
2000 Jan 08     150           8          3
2000 Jan 09     160           5          2
2000 Jan 10     170           5          2
2000 Jan 11     180           5          2
2000 Jan 12     190           5          2
2000 Jan 13     200           5          2
2000 Jan 14     210           5          2
2000 Jan 15     210           5          2
2000 Jan 16     200           5          2
2000 Jan 17     195           5          2
2000 Jan 18     180           5          2
2000 Jan 19     175           5          2
2000 Jan 20     170          10          3
2000 Jan 21     165          10          3
2000 Jan 22     160           5          2
2000 Jan 23     155           5          2
2000 Jan 24     150           8          3

NEW YEARS EVE MONITORING

Courtesy of William Westenhaver of Montreal, here is a great website
for those of you who might be looking to follow the arrival of the
New Year in different countries via web radio monitoring.
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/features/html/newyearseve.html This
article, appearing on the Radio Nederlands webpage, is entitled New
Year's Eve Monitoring on the Web". It is compiled and edited by Mr.
Lou Josephs. It provides URLs for various radios stations around the
world, hour by hour, as the New Year arrives in each time zone. This
is an excellent resource, and will complement the similar listing of
off-air shortwave broadcast services which was distributed to you
earlier. Thanks to William Westenhaver for sending along the details
on this URL, and thanks to Mr. Lou Josephs and Radio Nederland for
making this available.

A reminder that you can find the list "New Year's Eve and Y2K
Shortwave Radio Monitoring" on the CIDX webpage:
http://www.anarc.org/cidx/SF6Y2K.html (Sheldon Harvey President,
CIDX, Dec 29)                                                  ###