Re: [HCDX]: STANAG

Without going into too much detail, I did hear some bursting and sweeping that
covered about 15kHz worth of spectrum.  In AM mode, it sounded like a phaser.
In SSB it sounded like a water-dripper.  The sweeping sounded like the buzz at
the end of a weather fax.  I looked at a spectrum analyzer and noticed the
quick bursts (pulses actually) were about 800Hz in width.

This could possibly be a fast frequency-hopping or spread-spectrum HF radio.
The occasional sweeping noise I heard would most likely be either the
synchronization, or a secondary transmission trying to jam it.  I really doubt
the latter, since I didn't hear them both (bursts and sweeping) at the same
time.

Now if this is what we're all buzzing about, the term we should be using is
STAJ - not STANAG (although I'm sure there is a STANAG for it).  I forget what
the whole acronym stands for, but rest assured AJ stands for Anti-Jam.
Another term is IHFR for Improved HF Radio (seriously).

Who is using it?  From the time I observed it, it was probably someone in
Europe and one who most likely someone under the NATO umbrella.  Why?  Could
be a test (hence the slim possibility of a secondary jammer), could be a real
comms link.  Lord knows.

Keep in mind that everything I've said so far is pure speculation.  I know a
little about STAJ/IHFR technology, but have never really seen or heard one
yet.

But, there's one thing I do know...

There's a penguin on your telly, and he's going to blow up.

<just kidding>

73,

[*     Mark J. Fine * FineWare * 11252 Cardinal Drive     *]
[*  Remington, Virginia  22734-2032 * USA * 3834N 07751W  *]
[*   fineware@xxxxxxxxx * http://www.erols.com/fineware/  *]
[* Smart R8 Control * SWBC Schedule Subscription Service  *]
[*  Smart Lowe Ctrl * Smart Kenwood Ctrl * Smart NRD Ctrl *]
[*SWBC Interval Signals * Smart Audio Control * TTY Reader*]