[HCDX] DX Listening Digest 00-95 July 24

[HCDX] DX Listening Digest 00-95 July 24

DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-95, July 24, 2000 edited by Glenn Hauser, wghauser@xxxxxxxxxxx

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages, and we are provided exchange
copies. DXLD may not be reposted in its entirety without permission}

{NOTE! Because of its refusal to exchange info, NU is explicitly
prohibited from quoting or using DXLD in any way. Nor may
individual NU members read or use DXLD with a clear conscience
unless they also contribute without reservation directly to
DXLD. We are happy to share our work with everyone, EXCEPT those
who refuse to reciprocate. This situation is entirely the fault
of NU. Those who spot any more quotations from DXLD in NU,
properly attributed or not, are requested to inform us,
confidentially. Those NU members who see the injustice of this
situation might also encourage the policy to change.}

GRUNDIG SATELLIT 800 REVIEWS, UPDATED

You are not at the mercy of one reviewer of this receiver; we have
had for some weeks, and now updated, John Norfolk's review, as well
as a summary of other opinions, at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/rxtips.txt

** ANGOLA. Hi Glenn, Re comments about Radio Ecclésia: You are right
to note that the shortwave transmissions are not (always) in parallel
with the Web Audio. I was given to understand by my colleagues in
continuity that some of the shortwave programmes are fed live, some
are repeats of earlier broadcasts. I'll investigate further to see if
a fixed pattern has now been established. As for the transmissions
reported by Mike Ford, anything heard outside the published times
cannot be from Radio Netherlands transmitters. Perhaps another
broadcaster is also working with Radio Ecclésia. They do have a close
relationship with Radio Renascença in Portugal, who have a 100 kW SW
transmitter that might have been reactivated. 73, (Andy Sennitt, RN,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Cumbre was not explicit but the unscheduled broadcast was apparently
heard on 15195, carried over from the previous item not published
here (gh)

** ANGOLA. Glenn, you will like to check this letter and also the
Angola country report for 1999 where there is more on R Ecclésia.
http://www.cpj.org/protests/00ltrs/Angola13jan00pl.html
(Henrik Klemetz, Sweden, DX LISTENINGN DIGEST) That?s a letter from
the Committee to Protect Journalists to the His Excellency, the
Dictator of Angola, mentioning R. Ecclésia, VOA and others (gh)

** ANGOLA [non]. We've already had requests for QSLs for the Radio
Ecclésia transmissions via Radio Netherlands. Unfortunately, Radio
Netherlands is not in a position to QSL any of the transmissions of
other broadcasters who hire airtime from us. Quite simply, a proper
QSL should include verification of programme details. As we only
provide technical facilities for the other broadcasters, Radio
Netherlands does not have those details. Reports should always be
sent direct to the broadcasters concerned: they produce the
programmes, not us. On the other hand, we are happy to verify reports
of Radio Netherlands' own programmes over any of the shortwave sites
we use. 73, (Andy Sennitt, RN, hard-core-dx) This led to a thread,
which provoked further comments:

I would tend not to burden Radio Ecclésia with requests for QSLs at
this time. The station's staff are being harrassed by the
authorities, and the sole reason for being on shortwave is to reach
the rest of Angola. They are not interested in knowing that they can
be heard in Europe or North America. I understand the desire for a
QSL card that will be a collector's item in the years to come, but
there's a risk that if they are swamped by unwanted mail from
overseas they might decide being on shortwave is not worth the
hassle. And, given that they are the only domestic source of
uncensored news in rural Angola, that would be a tragedy.

Because if I was in a country in the middle of a civil war and my
life was in danger, I wouldn't give especially high priority to
receiving unsolicited mail from someone thousands of miles away :-)
Perhaps I'm wrong. But it's only an opinion. I don't expect everyone
to agree with me.

I think it is a dangerous attitude concluding, you cannot send
letters to stations, it is the same as saying "excuse me for being a
dx-er". Most stations appreciate response from their listeners.

It's not an attitude I hold generally, but I prefer to take each case
on its merits. A small commercial station in Latin America will be
thrilled to get a letter from someone in Sweden. I just can't equate
that with the very different circumstances under which Radio Ecclésia
is operating. The Angolan government want an excuse to get Ecclésia
off the air. I'm quite certain that mail to the station will be
intercepted. They could argue that by becoming a de facto
international broadcaster, the station is in breach of its licence.

They could use foreign DXers' reception reports as evidence of this.
If, after considering these facts, you still want to go ahead and
send a report to Radio Ecclesia, by all means do so. Each of us has
to make our own decisions.

Although I work for Radio Netherlands, I am participating here on an
individual basis. Opinions expressed are my own, and do not
necessarily reflect the official position of Radio Netherlands (Andy
Sennitt, hard-core-dx via DXLD)

** AUSTRALIA. RA announces its Olympic coverage plans: The Asian
service does not have the resources for full coverage, but will have
updates daily at 0030, 0330, 0530, 0730, 1130.

The Pacific service will have full coverage relayed from ABC 702
Sydney, for 16 days starting Sept. 16 from 2100 UT Friday, after
about 30 minutes of news:
2100-2400 17715
0000-0200 17580
0200-0800 13605
0800-end  11650
(RA Feedback July 21 via gh, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRALIA. Special event station AX3OLY has been allocated to the
WIA Victoria by the Australian Communications Authority to
commemorate the Olympic Games being held in Sydney, Australia. WIA
Victoria members will be sporadically operating the station on DX
bands over the next three weeks. The band of operation being chosen
to coincide with the best propagation at the time. AX3OLY is being
activated for the first time this week to mark the arrival of the
Olympic flame in VK3 which is half way through its 100 day torch
relay around Australia. The special event station will later
highlight the holding of Olympic soccer games in the VK3 capital city
of Melbourne, Australia, which also hosted the 1956 Olympic Games. A
commemorative QSL card will be available. QSL is to VK3WI  via the
Bureau or the Callbook address. (KB8NW/OPDX July 24/BARF-80 via John
Norfolk, OKCOK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BRAZIL. This eve a very strong Brazilian on 4915 from 0245 to 0305
UT - hitting S9 + 30, but I could not get an ID. Usually hear Radio
CBN Anhanguera here - weak but occasional ID's. This one mentioned
"Nacional" frequently & aired "Programma telefono..." or similar -
discourse about phone service in Brazil ? So was it Radio Nacional,
Macapá or Anhanguera? Magnetic storm enhancement? Regards from (Bill
Flynn, OR, July 23, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

I would bet on Radio Nacional, Macapá. It usually signs off just
after 0305 UT. From my QTH in NY State (near Albany), I can hear this
one nearly every night. 73 (John Figliozzi, July 23, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** CHINA [non]. Regarding the site for Falun Dafa Radio, now on 9370
at 1400-1500, while this is not conclusive, 9370 is also used by R.
Free Asia from Tajikistan, in Uighur at 1600-1630, according to
previously published schedule in DXLD 00-87, //7460 (Glenn Hauser, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** COLOMBIA. 9635, R Difusora Nacional de Colombia, Bogotá, July 21,
0155-0210 Spanish talks and orchestral music very much covered by VOA
in English on 9635. At 0455* sign off was heard much better without
VOA. SINPO 23333 (Anker Petersen, Denmark, EDXP via DXLD)

** COSTA RICA. The new frequency for RFPI of 21815 usb is an
excellent choice and a vast improvement on the old 25930. World of
Radio from Glenn Hauser was crystal clear on Saturday 0330-0400 when
that frequency closed down. 15049/15050 was audible at the same time
as well but a weaker signal. I understand that RFPI will not be using
6970 for a few days to permit repairs and maintenance. (Morrison
Hoyle, Foster, Victoria, EDXP via DXLD)

** EUROPE. PIRATE. 15810, R Sunflower, 0035 July 23, europop music,
Willie Nelson, Russian vocal song, "Cotton Eyed Joe" by Rednex,
announcer in English with ID 0041. Announced as test xmsn to USA.
Nice signal. R Skyline even better at the same time on 15050.07 with
techno mx, Dutch language announcer with many IDs (Jay Novello, Wake
Forest, NC, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. Voice of Indonesia on 11785 July 21 2000-2059 in
English with fair to poor reception here in south central Wisconsin.
Heard nothing on the 15149.82 frequency (David Zantow, Janesville,
Wisconsin, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INTERNATIONAL WATERS. VE0NWP STATION. The ship "Simon Fraser" is
recreating the voyage of the ship "St. Roch" through the North West
Passage. It was heard on Saturday at 0521z (band was not mentioned)
from the Aleutians Islands. Check out the Web page:
http://www.stroch.org (KB8NW/OPDX July 24/BARF-80 via John Norfolk,
OKCOK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ISRAËL. UNID: an UNKNOWN Arabic speaking station on 15430.00,
playing a lot of Ar mx, but has very distorted overmodulated audio,
like R Pakistan always has. Mention always Israel, and also Pakistan
few times. It's NOT in // Baghdad 11787.00, it's NOT ISR in Ar on //
5915 and 9815. Also NOT in // to Libya 17725. Heard from about 1500 -
till at about 2130 UTC Sat July 22 (Wolfgang Büschel, Germany, DXLD)

No, 15430 doesn`t "ring any bells" here, but will try the channel
tonight. Pakistan should be off air completely by 2000 UT. The
distortion could mean it might be another Baghdad service or maybe a
clandestine (Noël Green, UK, to WB)

ISRAEL 2nd Arabic program? Now, I heard the Ar language stn on Sat
and Sun, at about 1500 til 2100, when I went to bed. Heard mention
often about ISRAEL items. On 1600 UT there was continous Ar mx, no
ID, no nx at all on the hour.00. Heard yesterday night ISR on 5915
and 9815, but on both latter was a different program in progress.
Audio is very distorted, and looks technicalwise like more of R PAK
and R Baghdad 11787 type. ?? Bcasts have something to do with the
Camp David negotiations?? Or is just a BLACK BC station copying ISR
Arabic sce, and is aimed at Palestine target from another NE/ME
country. 15430 Arabic still puzzles me up. regards and 73 de
(Wolfgang Büschel, Germany, July 23, DXLD)

ISRAEL: Kol Israel Reshet Dalet in Arabic heard regulary here: 1400-
2115 on NF 15430, instead of registered 15480, //5915 and 9815 in USB
mode (Ivo and Anguel, Observer, Bulgaria, July 23 via DXLD)

** KOREA SOUTH. RKI webcast is at extremely high level and distorted,
but listenable if you turn the volume almost down to zero. Exactly
the same situation this Sunday July 23 as last week July 16 when
tuning in for Multiwave Feedback at 1937. Still the easiest way to
find it is at the top of the Korean language homepage
http://kbs.co.kr  Why must there be such wide variation in audio
levels among different webcasters? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** NEWFOUNDLAND. Subject:  Vikings on CBC... from
http://cbc.ca/onair/jhtml/newsitem.jhtml?ID=1326

CBC RADIO ONE CELEBRATES THE THOUSAND YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE VIKING
LANDING IN NEWFOUNDLAND FRIDAY, JULY 28 BEGINNING AT 2 P.M.

CBC Radio Newfoundland and Labrador celebrate the anniversary of the
Viking landing at L'Anse Aux Meadows with THE VIKING MILLENNIUM
SPECIAL, airing Friday, July 28 from 2 to 4 p.m. (2:30 p.m. NT) on
CBC Radio One.

"The early Vikings may have first settled in what's now the province
of Newfoundland," says producer Gerry Amey. "But the significance of
their presence is now being appreciated all over the world."

Five hundred years before Christopher Columbus made his famous voyage
across the Atlantic Ocean, Viking explorers had established a small
settlement at what's now known as L'Anse Aux Meadows, on
Newfoundland's Great Northern Peninsula. The Norsemen came from
Iceland in search of timber and other resources. What they found was
a land already inhabited by the ancestors of today's Innu, Inuit and
Mi'kmaq people.

This summer, Newfoundland and Labrador pay tribute to this milestone
through the "Viking Millennium Celebrations." On Friday, July 28 from
2 to 4 p.m. (2:30 p.m. NT) CBC Radio One participates in the
celebration through THE VIKING MILLENNIUM SPECIAL, co-hosted by Jim
Brown and Chris Norman, broadcasting live from L'Anse Aux Meadows.

Thousands of people are expected to witness the arrival of the
authentic Viking long ship replica Islendingur, following its
retracing of the original voyage of Leif the Lucky. THE VIKING
MILLENNIUM SPECIAL will also present the story of the Vikings, how
they came to settle at L'Anse Aux Meadows and how this discovery has
changed our understanding of world history. (via Ricky Leong, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

If this is only in Nfld, 2-4 pm ADT, 2:30-4:30 pm NDT equals 1700-
1900 UT; try the webcast from St. John`s. If on the entire CBC Radio
One network it would repeat hourly and not really be live, at 1800 UT
in EDT zone, 1900 UT in CDT, 2000 UT in MDT, 2100 UT in PDT (gh)

** NIGERIA. Voice of Nigeria now using NF 7265.5, instead of 7255.0
as follows:
0500-0700, 1000-1100, 1500-1700 and 1900-2100 in English
0700-0800, 1100-1200 and 1800-1900 in French
0800-0900, 1200-1300 and 2200-2300 in Hausa
0900-1000, 1300-1400 and 2100-2200 in Fulfulde
1400-1500 and 1700-1800 in Arabic.
Co-channel and QRM on nominal 7265.0: 0000-2400 Sudwestfunk in
German; 0530-0630 VOA in French to Af Mon to Fri (Observer, Bulgaria,
July 23 via DXLD)

** PERÚ. 6673.12, Radio Andina, Huancabamba; was first heard in Tokyo
thanks to a tip from Rafael Rodríguez who first noted this new
station being on the air on the measured frequency of 6672.9 kHz on
July 8, 2000. It was heard at 1051-1146 on 22/JUL/2000 and also 1011-
1058 on 23/JUL/2000. Signal was fair to poor, however the propagation
from Perú was totally terrible. So the station is seemingly well
equipped with about 1 kW output. The station broadcasts with the
following morning programs: 1000-1100 "Amanecer Andino", 1100-
"Pueblo Despierta" On 22/JUL/2000, I got two IDs: "Señoras y señores,
amables oyentes, son las 5 de la mañana 52 minutos en Radio Andina
desde Huancabamba. Ustedes están disfrutando con [sic] su programa
AMANECER ANDINO de Radio Andina ...." & "En los 6672 kHz onda corta
banda internacional de los 49 metros, Radio Andina onda corta
transmite desde Huancabamba, la ciudad que camina, en el Departamento
de Piura ...." On 23/JUL/2000, ID was confirmed as "Las 5 de la
mañana con 15 minutos en Radio Andina que transmite desde
Huancabamba" (Takayuki Inoue Nózaki, Japan, Relámpago DX Logging via
DXLD)

** PERU. 6673.06, R Andina, 0115 July 23, chicha mx, male anncr ID'ed
as "R Andina de Huancabamba". Pretty strong signal atop persistent
thunderstorm QRN. Noted off at 0201 (Jay Novello, Wake Forest, NC, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. I just became aware of an "Observer" item from July 16th
regarding Radio Rossii missed on 9845, 11735, 13705 and 17660. These
frequencies were until now used from 2 x 250 kW transmitters at
Taldom. An immediate check indeed confirmed both daytime frequencies
13705 and 17660 as silent. Obviously these transmitters were silenced
on July 11th together with the co-located 2.5 megawatts longwave
transmitter on 261. Seemingly the remaining shortwave outlets from
the Kurovskaya, Tbilisskaya and Samara sites are not affected by
these axings, as 9720, 11655 and 12005 are still on air.

Some nostalgia: The now silenced Radio Rossii outlets from Taldom
were until a few years ago using USB on OOB frequencies like 8005 and
12195, officially declared as feeders, actually aiming at Russian
ships on the Atlantic. And the 261 frequency of the now also
abandoned longwave giant is also in use by the German Burg
transmitter, until 1994 carrying the Russian forces Radio Volga. Late
at night Radio Volga was taking Radio Rossii by picking up the
Gorizont satellite outlet, resulting in the tinny and distorted Burg
audio (result of a bad feed circuit from the Radio Volga studio) not
simply interfered but instead accompanied by a punchy pre-echo.
Regards, (Kai Ludwig, Germany, July 22, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH COOK ISLAND. Andy, ZK1AND, is active from Rarotonga (OC-013)
for the next month. His activity has been mainly on 20 meters SSB
around 14260 kHz between 0300 and 0500z, and again around 1030z. QSL
via AB7FS. (KB8NW/OPDX July 24/BARF-80 via John Norfolk, OKCOK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** TUNISIA: New schedule of Radio Tunis in Arabic, effective July 17:
7225 1700-2300 to Eu - back on air
7275 0400-0700 to Eu - back on air
9720 0200-0500 to ME
9720 1700-2100 to ME
11730 1400-1700 to Eu - back on air
17735 1200-1700 to ME

DELETED FREQS (for week July 17-23):
7110 0400-0700 Sfax 500 kw/265 degr. to NoAf
7110 1900-2300 Sfax 500 kw/265 degr. to NoAf
11655 1400-1900 Sfax 500 kw/265 degr. to NoAf
(Observer, July 23 via DXLD)

** U K. Ken Morrison in San Antonio, Texas, used to be a shipboard
radio officer. He writes "now I do all my listening on the Web
instead of shortwave." Ken read the script of the July 8th show, in
which Glenn Hauser reported that the BBC World Service feed to the
Americas is one of two regional World Service feeds available as a
Webcast. He can only find the European stream at the World Service
Web site. Ken would prefer the Americas stream, because the music
programs are at a more convenient time. It is hard to find the
Americas stream at the World Service Web site. I suggest you go to
http://www.broadcast.com/bbc. There you can hear the World Service
Americas stream, and the 24-hour all-news service, in either
RealAudio or Windows Media formats (VOA Communications World July 23
via John Norfolk)

The website http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice has a quite illogical
setup near the top to click on live streams. The LIVE NOW current
program shown always refers to the Europe (UT + 2 in BBC On Air)
stream, as does the NEXT program. Immediately below that it says ALSO
AVAILABLE AT YAHOO! BROADCAST. You would think ``also`` refers to the
programs immediately above it. This only applies at certain times of
the day, such as early evening North American time, when the two
streams are parallel (usually). Elsewhen, when you go to Yahoo (which
is the same as http://www.broadcast.com) you will instead find two
links in three formats each to the Americas stream. The bottom one,
Information and Entertainment is the one I always bring up, and which
does include entertainment programs, (UT -4 listings in BBC On Air)
while the top ones are supposedly all-news and sport 24 hours a day.
For some months, these were mislabeled in reverse on the yahoo page.
There is also a continuous BBC Spanish service there (Glenn Hauser,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. July 28th will be the last days for the present schedule of
VOA broadcasts in Polish, Hungarian, Czech, Slovene, Lithuanian and
Latvian services. These services were slated for reduction as a
result of a language review by the U.S. Broadcasting Board of
Governors. Most of these broadcasts are satellite feeds, but included
is the VOA Polish broadcast at 20 to 21 Universal time on 1197
kilohertz medium wave [via Munich]. European listener might want to
tune in that last broadcast Friday. Even if you don't understand
Polish, you can listen for the inflections.

As a result of a redistribution of budget brought about by the
language review, fifty-one VOA employees will receive official
notices on August 7th that their positions will be terminated. Unless
they can find jobs elsewhere within the Voice of America or its
parent entity, the International Broadcasting Bureau, they will be
off the payroll as of October 13th.

Tim Shamble, president of the labor union that represents VOA
broadcasters, wrote in an e-mail to the 51 affected employees: "All
of you have persevered and shown an extraordinary concern for the
programming, the listeners, and the Agency even during the most
difficult period of the RIF [reduction in force] conducted by the
Management."

Three broadcasters will remain in the VOA Polish, Czech, and
Hungarian services, and they will produce 15 minutes of feed
programming Monday through Friday. Two each will remain in Slovene,
Latvian, and Lithuanian, with ten minutes of output per weekday.
Multimedia services in these languages are slated for the future.
(VOA Communications World July 22 via John Norfolk, DXLD)

** U S A. soon to test WGTG # 3 9.580 mhz planned operation freq 7
days week : 6:00 am to 4:00pm eastern [1000-2000 UT]. 50 kw /100 kw
test beaming northwest tones / music/ digital data am / usb / isb
night test : 3.270 mhz  (Dave Frantz, WGTG, July 21, DXLD)

9580? Please don`t use that frequency, at least not before 1600. It`s
the main R. Australia channel, beamed 70 degrees from 1100 to 2100;
at least in central and western North America, will give you co-
channel and even more enemies among SWLs (gh to WGTG)

** VIETNAM [non]. Que Hong Radio observed on new 12150 *2300-2359* on
July 20 and July 21, with Vietnamese programming, intended for
Vietnam. Transmitter site deduced to be in Central Asia, possibly
from former CIS facilities. Excellent signals here in Melbourne.
Regards From: (Bob Padula, Surrey Hills, Victoria 3127, Australia,
Electronic DX Press via DXLD)

** WESTERN SAHARA [non]. July 22 at 1930 on 7450.00 RASD to WeSahara,
Ar mx; at 1945 v7470.72 RTM Sebaa-Aioun, Morocco, Ar mx, //15345
(Wolfgang Büschel, Germany, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** YEMEN. Radio Aden in Arabic (not Radio Cairo/Voice of Arabs) again
noted on July 23: 0900-1100 on 9900.0 (SINPO 34543). No parallel
freq. 73 from (Ivo and Anguel, Observer, Bulgaria via DXLD) [Cf DXLD
00-94]

** UNIDENTIFIED. I had just finished transferring the tape I made of
the strange CW being broadcast on 9725 kHz at about 0210 UTC Monday
morning July 24, when serendipity did its usual magic trick: the
sound editing software I used to record the sound allowed me to "see"
the dots and dashes. So whaddaya know, it was... a number station,
smack in the middle of a broadcast frequency in AM mode. That
probably explains why it disappeared suddenly at about 0218 UTC. The
tape recorder muffled up the spoken words of some preacher that the
CW was already interfering with (Ricky Leong, Quebec, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

Yes, numbers, at a pretty fast clip, but that does not necessarily
mean it`s a spy station, which often substitute shorter-character
letters when using CW. Tsk, tsk, the preacher is Dr Gene Scott via
Costa Rica (gh)                                          ###