[HCDX] LPAM Carillon Radio

Here is an excerpt from the reply concerning my R.R. to Carillon Radio
(Loughborough, UK) that I received last Sunday evening.  They will be on the
air again at the end of the week.

-------------------

We are a hospital station here in the UK and are based in Loughborough,
which is North of Leicester in central
England. Although Carillon Radio is some 30yrs old it has only recently been
awarded a licence to operate on Medium Wave.
Our service is to two hospitals in Loughborough, one in the centre of the
town on a loudspeaker system and an FM transmitter (home built) which takes
us to the other large hospital across the town where we feed the output into
a AM tx on 1386 kHz. We have two studios located in the hopital each
equipted
with CD, Minidisk and turntables as we have a very large record
collection.We
have been testing now for a week but after you heard us last night I turned
of the transmitters for adjustment. The truth is one of our presenters is
doing some woodwork in studio B (the one on test) and we did not want to
risk
the chance of any problems.

The transmitter power output is 32w into the aerial which is a vertical made
from a fibreglass pole and a top section od aluminium forming a capacitance
hat ( a design that I have used many time as a radio Ham G4DCE) The atu is
also home brew and forms a Pi match which is not so common in broadcast but
it works well and is efficient. The transmitter uses a valve in the final
type 807 (old reliable and cheap).

Jon
Carillon Radio Technical