[HCDX] Re: Wellbrook ALA1530 Performance

[HCDX] Re: Wellbrook ALA1530 Performance

Guido,

I found that the ALA1530 is impressive for a small, 1-meter loop but it
cannot compare to the K9AY. The K9AY always outperformed the small loop and
gave better signal-to-noise ratios and higher signal strengths on MW DX and
tropical band DX. Evidently the small "capture" area of the ALA1530 loop
just cannot compete when the K9AY, even when there is no competing station
on the frequency. There were many times when I had audio on a trans-Pacific
MW DX frequency with the K9AY, but only a het with the ALA1530.

I didn't really expect the little loop to keep up with the K9AY or
Beverages, because it is a compromise antenna designed for limited space
situations. However, when you consider that it is only 1-meter, it accounts
for itself very well, with even and consistent reception from longwave up
through 30 MHz. It would be an excellent choice for someone who has no space
to erect another antenna design, and it's probably the best value (price vs.
performance) in an active antenna today.

I should note that the ALA1530 often outperformed the K9AY from the 25
meterband on up.

73, Guy