[HCDX] Boston on 1600+ kHz medium-wave

 Today, courtesy of a traffic jam on the expressway through Boston
Massachusetts going north from Braintree at around 5pm, I scanned the
1600+ kHz band for stations while near and in Boston. I heard two new
stations on 1620 and 1690 kHz and a possible ID on my mystery station on
1670 kHz.

1620 kHz was booming in on the car radio around Morrissey(sp?) Boulevard
in Dorchester (part of Boston). Had Carribean-type music and definite
French-related language by DJ (French-Haitian-Creole?). My wife and I both
heard an ID that sounded something like "Radio Energie" (Energy?") by male
at 5:10pm local EDT (2110 UTC).

1690 kHz was also heard in Dorchester. Heard at 5:20pm local with unknown
artist doing an EE cover of Stevie Wonder's song "This Time Could Mean
Goodbye". Couldn't ID announcer's language due to noise. Faded rapidly as
I went north of Boston.

Heard presumed Allston-Brighton Free Radio (ABFR) in EE on 1670 kHz coming
in near the Fleet Center (still in Boston). Was playing an English taped
speech.

But as I drove farther north on Route 93, ABFR faded out and a mystery
station on 1670 kHz with music faded in. (Sounded like French-Creole.) At
5:35pm, I heard the woman announcer say something like "Rah-dee-oh
Pah-chey" (Radio Pace meaning Radio Peace?). Then went into unknown
artist's cover of Cyndi Lauper's "All Through the Night" in UNID language.

Who knew you could have a mini-DXpedition in your car in Boston?

So next time you're in a traffic jam, check the 1600 kHz band. I heard 5
stations (1620 R. Energy?, 1640 R. Nouveaute(p), 1670 Allston-Brighton
Free Radio(p) and R. Pace(?), and 1690 UNID). I used to hate traffic jams.
:-)

enjoy,
paul