[HCDX] Bandscan SW 51 from Quito by Björn Malm

[HCDX] Bandscan SW 51 from Quito by Björn Malm

Bandscan SW no. 51 from Quito, Ecuador by Björn Malm.

>From July 15 I and my wife "Susanita" will be on Swedish territory for a few months.
It shall be nice to change temporarily the messy Quito to well-organized Sweden. For me it is a dream to have a little "cabin" here in Ecuador to rest, for example on the peninsula Santa Elena not far from Guayaquil. My mother-in-law has some land there close to the holiday cottage of the president.
Just imagine how nice it will be to leave this crazy capital for a DX-pedition to the Pacific Ocean for a week or so. There it is possible to erect a long beverage as it is an uninhabited area.
After a night with tough DXing I will take a 15 - minutes walk on the several mile long beach falling to sleep to the roaring waves ......
You can't understand how tough life is nowadays here in Quito - when I was here for the first time 5-6 years ago it was a pure idyllic spot. Now I has dramatically changed to the worse due to poverty is spreading down even to the middle class. Although I have lots of examples I will not bore you with this sad facts. It is better to go for the positive instead. It is nice to walk around in central Quito with all the old houses and churches  - one more beautiful than the other.
Central Quito suffers from heavy traffic but is built like a small town with narrow streets and even more Otherwise you get narrow pavements and I can´t figure out how people reach their work - you have to have ice in your stomach and walk in ultra rapid.  Otherwise you get pushed away out below one of the big and quiet, electrically driven "Trole"-busses coming like an express train.
>From the beginning I learned from different Quito-people "not to push anybody ....." otherwise you usually can be beaten up. It is also quite depressing to walk around when poor people are sitting very quiet on every 10 meter, begging for some coins to survive another day. I think of among others an old Indian woman sitting very still and quiet every day looking down and with her right hand stretched out as a cup.
I have seen lots of tourists from Europe standing with big eyes and open mouth looking at this enormous crowd of people with Indians, Mestizos, beautiful "morenas" from the coast, the huge amount of sales people on the streets walking around trying to sell everything you can think of, all those small boys cleaning shoes who never are satisfied with a "no, thank you" but continue and continue saying your shoes that "your shoes ore dirty and need cleaning" - once I gave without thinking some centavos to a shoe-cleaner with needing to clean my shoes - I just wanted him to stop harassing me. I shouldn't have done that! 5 minutes later all of the shoe-cleaners from Plaza Grande market standing in a ring around me - a crazy "gringo" giving money without the need to do a thing .............  /BM

2399.85H  Radio Super, Cali (Colombia). June 2002 - 1010 UTC. Harmonic from 1200 kHz (2x 1199.93).

2413.39v  Radio Paraíso, unknown QTH (Peru). Clear "Radio Paraíso"-IDs and lovely Peruvian folk music with super audio quality in the prgramme "Amanecer campesino". "Comunicados" can be a good way to find out the "departamento" of the station location. In this case a "comunicado" to a person living in "Santa Rosa". "Cajamarca" has also been mentioned. Varies some kHz up/down.

3599.77H  Radio Super, Cali (Colombia). June 2002 - 1025 UTC. Seems to be more common on it´s 4:th harmonic 4799.70H kHz. Harmonic from 1200 kHz (3x 1199.92).

4899.80  La Voz de Saquisilí y Libertador, Saquisilí (Ecuador). June 2002 - 1445 UTC. I have had no contact with Saquisilí y Libertador diuring the last years. If that depends on the fact that the station has been off air or that I seldom listen after 1200 UTC, I don´t know.

5499.25  Radio San Miguel, la provincia de San Miguel, el departamento de Cajamarca (Perú). June 15 2002 - 2330 UTC. On April 26 all of you in SWB in a special preview got an alarm about an Unid LA on this frequency - obviously a test transmission with nonstop, mostly Ecuadorian, music without talk. Came back on May 4 again with nonstop music without talk, but this time witn Peruvian music. On May 15 came the solution for this "problem" when "Radio San Miguel" was reactivated on this new frequency. Seems to broadcast regularly - yesterday evening, Monday, they were a little higher up in frequency: 5500.58 - announcing 5500 kHz, 1450 and 101.1. This date a lot of talk about election of a new mayor/"alcalde" - mentioning several "distritos" among others "Llapa" and "Calquis". I logged "Radio San Miguel" the last time in May last year on 6339.67 kHz (see SWB 1458). At that time they gave ID as "San Miguel Arcángel Radio". . Now I only hear "Radio San Miguel"-IDs and sometimes "San Miguel super radio". When you get this little "preview" San Miguel has bben on air for a few days so maybe someone has got an ID.
The above log was sent out as a "preview" to all in SWB June 18. Can still be heard and seems to have two frequencies: 5499.25 and 5500.58 kHz.

Info from "Ventanaperú": Provincia de San Miguel, cuya capital es San Miguel de Pallaques. Sus distritos son: Calquis, El Prado, La Florida, Llapa, Nanchoc, Niepos, San Gregorio, San Miguel, San Silvestre de Cochán, Unión Agua Blanca; con una población total de 59,641 hab.

5879.19H  Radio Imperio, Chiclayo, la provincia de Chiclayo, el departamento de Lambayeque (Perú). Has been a big mystery for a long time - until now when I checked the MW frequency of the station and started to count - Radio Imperio on  SW 4388.96 kHz plus Radio Imperio on MW 1490.23 kHz  = 5879.19 kHz! A mixing product between SW/MW is probably a rare form of harmonic. They are not announcing co-transmission with Radio Uno, Chiclayo but instead with the FM-transmitter Radio Tropicana (Chiclayo?).

Info from "Ventanaperú": Provincia de Chiclayo, cuya capital es Chiclayo. Sus distritos son: Chiclayo, Chongoyape, Eten, Puerto de Eten, José Leonardo Ortíz, Lagunas, La Victoria, Monsefú, Nueva Arica, Oyotún, Picsi, Pimentel, Reque, Santa Rosa, Saña; con una población total de 625,183 hab.

5900 /5905 USB  Radio Cosmopolita, Quito (Ecuador) can still be heard but at the moment more sporadic. Mails are beginning to drop in, among others from our members Tore B. Vik/TBV and Johan Berglund/JB, mentioning that their reports are returned. I called up the station and heard that they have a new address: "Radio Cosmopolita, Morales 1224 y Garcia Moreno, Quito". Telephone: (+593 2) 228 30 96. Address your report to Sr. Alejandro Yautibug, who is in charge for the technical transmissions for the Indian programmes. Otherwise the letters will be lying without being taken care of on the Spanish department. The Indians only hire programme time. I asked if there is an email address but the answer was negative.
73 from BM (Björn Malm) i Quito!
bjornmalm@xxxxxxxx

(Please give credit to both SWB and BM when quoting information above!)

Keep in mind EDXC Conference 2002 in mid-August - the biggest DX and SWL
meeting in Europe! See http://www.sdxl.org/edxc/edxc2002.html, come to
Pori, Finland and enjoy!