[HCDX] Re: Korea-Making Radio Waves

Enjoyed Mike Terry's post on N. Korean broadcasts!  I'm sure the N. Koreans would be happy to know that their signal, with varying strength and clarity, reaches my Grundig 400PE nearly every AM here in Southern New Mexico, USA.   The broadcasts are a real throwback to the Cold War kind of stuff you used to hear. By contrast, when I tune to Radio China Int'l. I hear modern, well-produced programming on a variety of subjects.   China certainly has left N. Korea in the dust these days!

***

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:37:07 -0000
From: "Mike Terry" <miketerry73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [HCDX] Korea -  Making Radio Waves
To: "DXLD" <dxld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,	"HCDX CONTRIBUTIONS - LATEST"
	<hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,	"CUMBREDX list"
	<cumbredx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,	"BDXC News" <bdxc-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

By Andrei Lankov
12-22-2004

If you, our reader, fiddle about with the tuning of your radio set, sooner
or later a militant march-like music will fill your room. This indicates
that you have come across a North Korean radio broadcast _ they can be
easily received in the Seoul area.
The history of North Korean broadcasting began in October 1945, with what
was from 1946 called Radio Pyongyang. In 1948 it was renamed the Korean
Central Broadcasting Station or KCBS. Up to this day the station remains a
mainstay of the North Korean domestic broadcasting media.

(snip)