[HCDX] Newfoundland MW Check

I just spent a week in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia, Canada, about 80 miles northwest of Halifax, visiting the family.  When I do this, I always bring my YB400PE for some MW DX.  II could only use the whip and couldn't string a longwire but I was able to check on a few Newfoundland MW stations, which is a favorite DX target of mine.  These were heard between December 23-30, 2004.

Of course, one sure way to ID a Newfoundland station is to remember that Newfoundland is 30 minutes ahead of Atlantic Time and 1:30 ahead of Eastern Time, so we'll often hear "top-of-the-hour" news at the bottom of our hours.

540 CBT Grand Falls NF- CBC station, 10kw

590 VOCM St. John's NF, 20kw. VOCM runs something of a network of stations across Newfoundland.  In the evenings they have a call-in show from across Newfoundland and Labrador which is interesting to listen to.  They also provide news and weather to other stations that may partially relay their programming.  CHCM-740 in Marystown NF will run VOCM news and weather but will run their own programming, at least during the day.

640 CBN St. John's, NF, 10kw.  CBC station.

740 CHCM Marystown NF 10 kw.  ID as "CHCM Country".  Part of the VOCM network, so don't be surprised to hear VOCM IDs here, especially during newscasts and in the evening.

790  CFNW Port au Choix NF, 1 kw.  Weak but confirmed ID.

990  CBY Corner Brook NF, 10 kw.  CBC station.

1400 CBG Gander NF, 4 kw.  Weak but definite.  A CBC station.

In Nova Scotia, there is a network of stations in the Annapolis Valley, from Kentville to Digby, called "AVR" or "Annapolis Valley Radio".  They run 4 MW and 1 FM stations with a country format.  Their stations:
1350 CKAD Middleton NS- 1kw
1420 CKDY Digby NS- 1kw
1450 CFAB Windsor NS- 1kw
1490 CKEN Kentville NS- 1kw (wasn't able to confirm this one)
Their FM station is on 97.7 from Kentville, which is where their studios are.  IDs are "AVR".

Hoping against hope, I tried for Iceland and Greenland MW stations but to no avail.  There was a constant het on 189 khz, maybe Iceland, no no audio ever heard.  207 khz was also quiet.

---John Cereghin
Smyrna DE
FRG7 DX150B YB400PE

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.