[HCDX] Log of a new Venezuelan catche

910 VENEZUELA, YVRQ, RQ910, Caracas, DF JAN 03 2244 - plaintive love ballad. Poor to very weak, but all alone. + 2341 - a tune by Bacilos, followed by "Errey Coo nueve cientos diez A ehMeh Center..." and phone numbers ID announcement then a salsa tune. Very good. New ! (Chiochiu-QC)

Bogdan speaks: I was extremely excited to finally get this one. I had Spanish on 910 on several occasions, on the Sanyo radio wich is poor beetwen 800 and 1000 kHz (the signal may have been even stronger than at 2341 UTC), but without getting an ID. This is Venezuela number 13, I believe (haven't checked my logbook yet). Curiously (and unfortunately), I could only got this one on the car-radio; at home nothing on both the Sangean 818 and the Sanyo receivers. I tried to install the Justice AM antenna, but the results were poorer reception than without the antenna. As some of you know, my Sanyo is less sensitive beetwen 800 and 1000 kHz, I don't know why. However, later this evening I got Cuba-600 well for a few minutes on the Sanyo before it got covered by WICC Bridgeport. I should try to use once again the Realistic DX 150A receiver I have from an Alberta DX'er to see if using the random wire (the Justice AM antenna isn't good at all) I can pick up RQ910 at home. I'll try it soon. Also, what is happening with RCN Barranquilia (HJAJ-760) ? Even though I wasn't too active in DX recently, I haven't identified them at all. Only once I though I heard them, but they were very poor and buried slightly under weak remains of nulled WJR. Are they running lower power or what ? They did run lower power during the fall of 2002. Are they doing this again ?

That's it for now !
73 and good DX,
Bogdan
Btw.: I'll be interesed to have some recordings of Radio Aeropuerto, the format of YVRQ before 1986 when it changed to RQ910. I heard a 10 seconds ID clip on the Mark Connelly web-site and read some documentation on it (I wasn't born at that time). I'm very interesed in recordings of Latin American stations from the 50's, 60's, 70's and early 80's. I love the salsa, cumbia and tropical music records of that time. I have songs by Los Melodicos, La Sonora Dinamita, El Gran Combo de Puerto Rico, Ismael Rivera, and others burned on CD from Kazaa.