[HCDX] BBC Bengali audience increases

BBC Bengali audience increases:
The BBC's weekly audience in Bangladesh has increased by 2.6 million in the
past year, giving BBC Bengali 13 million, according to a survey conducted
by an independent market research agency in Bangladesh. The growth is
mostly driven by the increase in rural listening, and represents a strong
recovery from the audience drop in 2003 following the Iraq war. This latest
survey reveals that the vast majority of those who have ever listened to
the BBC more than 80 per cent - consider it to be trustworthy. Sabir
Mustafa, Acting Executive Editor of Asia and Pacific Region, BBC World
Service, said: "I am delighted that the hard work and expertise of our
programme makers has paid off. "There is a greater emphasis on making
livelier, more interactive programmes, while maintaining the BBC's high
editorial standards. "We dedicated ourselves to winning our listeners back,
and it's great to see this result." Alan Booth, Controller of BBC World
Service Marketing Communications and Audiences, added: "The BBC is by far
the strongest international media brand in Bangladesh. It is a major market
for us. "What we have learnt since 2003 is how quickly we can be affected
by global events. What is reassuring is how rapidly we have recovered
ground and won back our listeners. "These results are even more impressive
against the backdrop of the general decline in radio audiences across urban
areas in Bangladesh, as more people turn to TV." Performance of BBC Dhaka
FM has also improved in the past year, with over half of the BBC's 700,000
strong audience in Dhaka City being delivered by FM, up from 31 per cent in
2003. The research was commissioned by MORI and was conducted between
December 2004 and January 2005 by an independent research agency in
Bangladesh. 2,010 interviews were conducted, using random probability
sampling among the general public aged 15 and over. (Source: BBC Press
Release, 20 April, 2005)

Best Regards,

MD. AZIZUL ALAM AL-AMIN
BANGLADESH