[HCDX] Latest logs from Coorong, SA

Craig Edwards, Adelaide, South Australia

Well it's been an incredibly busy month. Our relocation from Townsville to Adelaide is now complete as my wife and I finally obtained the keys to our house so we could get the two moving trucks full of our junk unloaded. For those who have done an interstate relocation know of the logistical nightmare and endless boxes and boxes or stuff to deal with. Needless to say I haven't had time to write up the loggings from the Townsville to Adelaide via the Northern Territory travelling DXpedition. I'm working at Murray Bridge in their health service, on the down side, I have to drive 90km each way between there and our home in Mawson Lakes (Adelaide) - that's starting to lose it's novelty. The up side is that Murray Bridge is only 70km away from the start of the Coorong - the Mecca of Mediumwave for SA DXers. So on a couple of the Friday afternoons after work I've stayed overnight at a caravan park cabin in Meningie. I've set up a very very basic EWE without coax or a balun as they are all packed away. Electrically the caravan park in very noisy, despite this on both mornings there were some very promising catches, particularly Djibouti 1539. This park wasn't used as a potential DX site but was rather a nice comfortable cabin with an ensuite to use as a home base. On both Saturdays I went exploring around the Coorong for possible overnight and more isolated DXpedition sites. My wife has given approval for me to stay at the Coorong on some Friday nights so on Saturday mornings I could go for Europe and then drive home and be back to my wife and regular society by lunchtime. Oh well, better go and start typing up those NT DXpedition logs.

CE: Craig Edwards, Coorong, South Australia.

Dxing from a caravan park cabin in Meningie (150km south of Adelaide).

Using Icom R75 (off 12V DC), pre-amp and EWE facing Asia/Europe on April 16th and April 30th

630      2116    RRI Makassar, Sulawesi. Poor under 4QN as the band was just about dead after sunrise, noted with male talks in Indo // 4750 (CE)

666      2045    DZRH Metro Manila, Philippines. Fair over the mush with Tagalog news & weather then canned DZRH IDs (CE)

765      2035    CNR Fujian, China. Fair for only a couple of minutes with typical CNR musical show, noted during a period of dead air after the news on 5CC (CE)

774      2030    RRI Fak Fak, Irian Jaya. Nice signal here with ID and then into music program, easy catch despite big 50kW 3LO powerhouse also on 774 (CE)

909      1141    RRI Sorong, Irian Jaya. Good here in the clear with fairly subdued Indo talks and easy listening music show (CE)

909      2017    VOA, Sebele Pikwe, Botswana. Poor with VOA Africa pgm in EE with surprising no sign of RRI Sorong (CE)

954      1132    DZEM Bulacan, Philippines. Fair at times but only noticed during talkback bits on 2UE, usual Tagalog religious program (CE)

1035    2003    CNR1, China. Fair and in the clear with Chinese musical // 6030 (CE)

1169    1933    IRIB Sarasary, Iran. This one still here off-channel with male talks in presumed Farsi (CE)

1170    2013    DXMR Zamboanga, Philippines. Good here with news items and dramatic music between each piece (CE)

1215    1110    DYRF Cebu City, Philippines. Poor here with religious programming in Tagalog under 4HI (CE)

1233    1948    TWR Cape Greco, Cyprus. Nice signal here in Arabic well over 2NC. Noted at 2125 with possible Radio Canada International ID (but didn't have tape running) in Arabic then into male commentary  (CE)

1260    1100    DZEL Lucena City, Philippines. Poor under 3SR with Eagle Broadcasting Corporation ID & DZEL canned IDs (CE)

1260    2043    DXRF Davao City, Philippines. Fair here on a nice peak over mush of 3SR, 6KA and Sawa. News items and DZRH canned IDs so obviously relaying DZRH 666 overnight (CE)

1260    2001    Radio Sawa, Dodecanese Islands. Good strength but big interference from 3SR, noted with news service in Arabic (CE)

1287    2040    DXRC Zamboanga City, Philippines. Fair with series of Super Radyo IDs (CE)

1296    1040    DXAB Davao City, Philippines. Good heard with program from the Vatican about Pope John Paul II in Tagalog (CE)

1323    1858    BBC Zyyi, Cyprus. Poor here with interval signal & BBC World Service news, heard under SEN Adelaide. Fortunately SEN was a wobbly signal and wouldn't surprise me if they are operating well under 2kW.  (CE)

1359    1033    Family Radio, Taiwan. Good hear in Indo with sermon over 4WK (CE)

1359    2050    CNR, China. Fair in Chinese // 1035 mixing with Family Radio Taiwan in English  (CE).

1386    1358    NHK2 Network, Japan. Fair here over another unid Asian, maybe HLAM. English language lessons then into NHK ID and English news (CE)

1413    2005    BBC Masirah Island, Oman. Poor here with BBC World Service news noted in a slight delay to 2EA also covering BBC WS. (CE)

1449    1924    IRIB Bandar-e-Torkamen, Iran. Poor signal with presumed Farsi chants under 2MG (CE)

1512    2055    DYAB Cebu City, Philippines. Good signal with IDs every few seconds, more IDs than program content - wish more stations did this!!! (CE)

1530    1911    VOA, Pinheira, Sao Tome & Principe. Poor in French here mixing with 2VM (CE)

1539    1845    Radiodiffusion Vision Djibouti, Djibouti. Great surprise to hear this in presumed Afar language with sensational exotic music. Took a wild guess and checked 4780 to find this in // but 1539 was stronger - amazing!!! Heard well throughout the morning,  including commentaries at 1915, thank goodness 5TAB 1539 is not 24 hours yet (CE)

1566    2112    AIR Nagpur, India. Good here with typical Indian music show // 9425 (CE)

1575    1830    Radio Farda, Al-Dhabbaya, United Arab Emirates. Nice signal in presumed Farsi with IDs and then into funky music well over 2RF. (CE)

1593    1957    CNR1 China. Big signal here with interval signal then into ID & male talks in Chinese (CE)