Re: [HCDX] [dxld] First report of Wantok Radio Light (?)

At 07:58 AM 5/23/2005, you wrote:
>** PAPUA NEW GUINEA. 7120, 0830-1200 May 23, Wantok Radio Light, Port Moresby.
>Tentative reception of this new PNG Christian outlet first noted with
>religious-sounding music fading in at 0830. Four musical tones noted at
>0900:20, followed by possible ID by woman. Signal improved very slightly past
>0900, with continuous Christian contemporary and possibly PNG church
>music. The
>language sounded Pidgin at times, but was much too weak for positive language
>identification. At 1101:38, I heard a distinctive 'Bird of Paradise' call
>(national bird of PNG, I believe). An MP3 recording of this can be heard at:
><http://www.guyatkins.com/files/tentative_WRL_7120khz.mp3>http://www.guyatkins.com/files/tentative_WRL_7120khz.mp3
>(Guy Atkins, Puyallup,
>WA USA, mod. ICOM IC-756Pro & mod. ICOM R-75, Kiwa MAP / ERGO, 450 & 700 ft.
>Beverage Antennas, HCDX via DXLD)

Thanks, Guy for the heads up on Wantok Radio.  Well I set my 7030+ timed
for 0830 to 10:30 this morning, 24/5/05 and the Recall-Pro.  Nothing
definite, although there is a signal there.  Like a 1-4-1 S-I-O.  It peaked
here in Victoria, BC at around 0900 at almost threshold levels.  The first
30 min seemed all talk, but there was some music and mostly female
announcer around 0900.  Within about 15 min, the signal faded into the mud
and did not reappear with any strength.  Could not be sure whether they
were still on at 10:00 or not.  I'll keep trying.  My experience with PNG
over the years suggests that on some days reception can be quite good, and
on others nil.  Don't know what kind of morning we had today.  The NVI
transmitter doesn't matter to us, as it will still propagate across the
globe.  If you don't believe it, try any of the Australian 120m
frequencies..........Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC.