[HCDX] SW Radio Africa Switches Frequency

[HCDX] SW Radio Africa Switches Frequency

SW Radio Africa Switches Frequency
-------------------------------------
Media Institute of Southern Africa (Windhoek)
PRESS RELEASE
June 2, 2005
Posted to the web June 2, 2005
On May 31 2005, SW Radio Africa which broadcasts from London, beamed its
last shortwave evening broadcast saying this was due to repeated jamming of
its transmission signal by the Zimbabwean government.
"The jamming of our transmission signal by the Zimbabwe government has
required that we broadcast on multiple frequencies," SW Radio Africa said in
a statement.
"This has been very successful and our listeners have been able to clearly
receive us. But it is financially unsustainable, adding a huge amount to our
normal running costs."
The station which is manned by Zimbabweans exiled in the UK, is now
broadcasting on medium wave for two hours in the morning (05h00 - 07h00
local time) and 24 hours a day on its website, www.swradioafrica.com.
The medium wave signal does not, however, cover the whole of Zimbabwe and
many of its listeners will not be able to tune into their broadcasts.
SW Radio Africa, however, said it was doing everything possible to maintain
its financial viability.
"Our medium wave signal is clearly received throughout the whole of South
Africa so we do know that the two to three million Zimbabwean exiles there
will be able to clearly receive our programming.
"A free media is the cornerstone of any democracy and we will do our very
best to ensure that we continue to provide a voice for Zimbabweans, as we
struggle along this difficult road to freedom together," said the statement.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200506020056.html

Alokesh Gupta
New Delhi