[HCDX] First mornings loggings 21 July 2005 from the Charlottes

[HCDX] First mornings loggings 21 July 2005 from the Charlottes

Fellas, the first morning of the round the world virtual dxpedition is under my belt. Results were rather mediocre, in my opinion for MW, and more interesting on the Tropical bands. I did hear a few new Alaskans. I don't think there was anything new for me for Trans Pacific. I'll be looking forward to reading how the others fared, and I'm hoping that tomorrow will yield more interesting DX. Here's my catch. Incidently, I used 3 antenna (well really only 2 for MW: 2 mini-Beverages measuring 350 and 400' respectively, aimed 170/350 and 30/210 degrees. Still using 12 volts, although the power should be hooked up very soon. The electrician was installing the panel in the power house. I hear that the telephone workers are striking, so no internet access that way for a while, I'm afraid. I'll be leaving early Sunday morning in any case back to Victoria. After DXing, I had a nice time clamming. There was a zero tide this morning, so I harvested some 20 pounds or so of Razor clams. These little creatures are fun to catch. You use a specialized short little shovel. Somewhat like a spade and walk along the flat sandy beach. You see small depressions which give away their location. By walking near them, they withdraw their siphons, occasionally squirting water upwards, but more usually just enlarging the depression. With one hand, the spade-like shovel is inserted about 6" from the depression and then angled toward the clam. The wedge of sand is quickly removed, and if you're lucky you can grab the siphon and pull the clam out. If not, you have to go down after them, sometimes almost to your armpit! They can measure up to a foot (30 cm) long, although most are about 8". The shells are very sharp if broken, hence the name. They make fabulous clam chowder, but also things like Clam Fritters....after cleaning them, the meat is pounded and then fried. Something like calamari as I recall, but it's been a while. Tomorrow, there's a negative tide, so after dxing, I'll go back out for Dungeness crab and razor clams again. Life is tough in paradise! .......Walt Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands), BC.
PS: I'm listening to an unid station on 840. Never IDs except "840 Gold". I'm assuming a Canadian, since they don't legally ID. Confirmation anyone?

180 RUSSIA Radio Rossii, Jul 21 12:18 - Poor to fair reception of this LW station. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

639 FIJI Radio Fiji 1, Jul 21 10:16 - Poor/fair reception with islands music. No // noted, but seems to be a regular hear. The morning did not shed much of interest in the early going, but did improve somewhat towards the morning. Overall, though, a relatively mediocre morning, and so I spent more time on the tropical bands. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

670 ALASKA KDLG, Dillingham, Jul 21 14:00 - Local ID, as well as for other low power NPR stations. Normally KBOI dominates this channel. Unfortunately, I had just fallen asleep 'at the wheel' and didn't notice the MD had run out. I'll try again tomorrow. The distant Alaskans seem to have a window in the morning after the TP stations have faded away, and before the lower 48 stations again dominate the airwaves. Interesting. I assume with the high sun and very long days of summer, the ionosphere does not favour a northerly propagation path to Alaska for long during the day. I'm assuming this will be the opposite in the winter. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

702 AUSTRALIA 2BL, ABC Sydney, Jul 21 12:25 - Fair reception with Australian accented dj. Mentions of Australia. One of the few Aussie station on this mediocre morning. The Tropical bands were much more interesting. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

747 JAPAN JOIB, Sapporo, Jul 21 12:26 - NHK2 English lesson. Fair reception, only. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

756 AUSTRALIA 3RN, Wangaratta, Jul 21 12:28 - 'Pilot program in Brisbane' mentioned, so presumed Aussie. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

765 UNIDENTIFIED ?, Jul 21 765 - Weak audio with non-stop talk that sounded Filipino to me. ?Possible Filipino station?. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

774 AUSTRALIA 3LO, ABC Melbourne, Jul 21 12:35 - Presumed, with 'Nice to see you', and Aussie accented talk. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

780 ALASKA KNOM, Nome, Jul 21 14:06 - Another new Alaskan for me, with ID, weather for Western Alaska. Fair. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

790 ALASKA KCAM,Glenallen, Jul 21 04:10 - Local ads and a local softball game, play by play. At 04:13, heard: 'Proud sponsor of Glenallen softball'. Good reception. At 04:59 Focus on the family program finished. No ID at the TOH, but did include a quick 'KCAM, Glenallen' at 05:01:30, and into USA network news. I tuned in again at 14:36 to hear Glenallen and Copper River Valley weather forecast (45 degrees and mostly sunny), and then onto weather for Anchorage, Valdez, 40 Mile Country, and Fairbanks. Time check for 6:39. No ID then. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

828 AUSTRALIA ?, Jul 21 12:39 - No ID, with English 'Eye witness reports'. Lots of splatter from 830. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

909 NEW ZEALAND Southern Star, Napier, Jul 21 12:41 - Poor to fair with a presumed logging with Gospel music. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1008 AUSTRALIA 4TAB, Brisbane, Jul 21 10:27 - Presumed station with only weak audio. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1008 NEW ZEALAND 1ZD, Jul 21 12:42 - Call in programming, but not nearly as clear as the other day's logging. Could also be possibly 4TAB, Brisbane as well. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1053 KOREA (SOUTH) Jammer, Jul 21 12:48 - Machine type jamming heard without any other station. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1143 NEW ZEALAND 1YW, National Radio Hamilton, Jul 21 12:52 - Fair and steady. Heard 'a whole range of recommendations', and 'Citizens of New Zealand'. Health care was the topic. Faded out just before the TOH. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1170 ALASKA KJNP, North Pole, Jul 21 14:29:30 - Another new one for me, with the weather for North Pole: 'Here in North Pole, 47 degrees'. No call sign heard, though. Fair. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1242 JAPAN JOLF, NBS, Tokyo, Jul 21 13:03 - Fair reception with usual Japanese programming. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1260 USA KLYC, McMinnville, OR, Jul 21 10:35 - Local ID for KLYC. Not bad for a 1 kw station. Local programming too. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1287 JAPAN JOHR, Sapporo, Jul 21 13:04 - Strong signal with usual sing-song YL/OM discussion. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1566 KOREA (SOUTH) HLAZ, Jul 21 13:10 - Strong signal with Japanese Christian broadcast. Still fair at 13:21, well after local sunrise. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1737 PAPUA NEW GUINEA KUT (Beacon), Jul 21 10:42 - weakly heard at this time. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

2310 AUSTRALIA VL8A, Alice Springs, Jul 21 10:44 - Very good reception with cricket play by play. Parallel to weaker 2325 VL8T, and 2485 VL8K (with it's characteristic humm). (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

2850 KOREA (NORTH) KCBS, Pyongyang, Jul 21 10:47 - Good to very good reception with a Korean play. Not the usual martial style for a change. Parallels heard include: 3220 (with cochannel), 3350 (loud buzz), 3959.73 (fair), and 9665.50 (buzz). (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3235 PAPUA NEW GUINEA Radio West New Britain, Jul 21 10:52 - Not many PNGs on the air this morning. Good reception with local choir. Note that the 2 Christian stations are only poorly propagating..ie 4960 and 7120, with the later only being present as a het. Did they move frequencies already, as they had planned? Possibly Wantok Radio Light adjusted their NVIS antenna to reduce propagation further afield. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3255 SOUTH AFRICA BBCWS, Jul 21 04:18 - BBCWS in English with a radio play. Fair reception via Meyerton. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3279.54 ECUADOR La Voz del Napo, Jul 21 10:55 - Good reception with Spanish programming. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3290 PAPUA NEW GUINEA Radio Central, Boroko, Jul 21 10:56 - Good signal level, but mostly used USB to avoid an intermittent ute on LSB. Local vocals, and Pidgin talk. S7 signal. No TOH ID, but switched to the National news at 11:02. At 11:54, there was a time check for 6 minutes to 11:00. Later USB had a Russian fisherman net. At 12:01, Central province was mentioned as well as '3290 kHz in the 90 meter band', and signing off until '12:00 tomorrow afternoon'. Then the PNG anthem, and off at 12:03. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

4604.96 INDONESIA RRI Serui, Jul 21 12:04 - RRI news, with reports from the field. Mentioned Bandeh Aceh. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

4753.45 UNIDENTIFIED ?, Jul 21 04:23 - I have no idea who is on this off frequency at this time in AM mode. Weak but in the clear. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

4775 SWAZILAND TWR, Jul 21 04:15 - Good reception with German religious broadcast. I'm back on the Charlottes for four days. This time, I erected 3 antennae: My original mini-Beverage at 350 degrees and terminated at the north end, 30/210 unterminated 400' miniBeverage, and a 120' random wire at 70/250 degrees. I noted the latter was often best on the tropical bands. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

4890 GABON RFI, Jul 21 04:31 - French programming but barely audible. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

4930 SAO TOME VOA, Jul 21 04:32 - Good signal with VOA English programming. Strongest station on the band. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

4965 ZAMBIA Christian Voice, Jul 21 04:33 - Fair reception and marred by summer static. American sounding religous programming in English. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

5019.89 SOLOMON ISLANDS SIBC, Honiara, Jul 21 10:03 - Pidgin news, with mentions of Honiara, Prime minister, national parliament. ID for SIBC, Honiara at 10:07:30. Voice of Salvation also mentioned at 10:13. Always a real pleasure to listen to them!. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

5025 CUBA Radio Rebelde, Jul 21 04:34 - Not on the air when first checked at this time, but present at a weak level at 10:00 with Buenos dias, and mentions of North America and Cubano. Must be using either a back up transmitter or antenna system. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

7390 RUSSIA Golos Rossii, Jul 21 12:15 - Russian Orthodox programming with a S9 + 10 signal, and then a Russian religious ballad. Still have to get used to hearing religion from the state broadcaster in Russia! Transmitter is in Vladivostok, so accounts for the phenomenol strength. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

11965 ASCENSION IS. Star Radio, Monrovia, Jul 21 21:23 - ID as, 'You are listening to Star Radio from Monrovia on the FM and the shortwave'. S6 signal and in the clear. Easy to follow English. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

World Radio TV Handbook 2005 is out.
Order yours from http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823077942/hardcoredxcom