[HCDX] New EWE Antenna

Greetings;

I worked all afternoon after I got home from church on my new EWE
antenna. I found the old piece of coax I had was "open", so I had to run
a new piece from under the house, install some PVC pipe to run it
through into the ground and over to the tree. Fortunately I had lots of
ground rods at both ends, so I did not have to put those in for the EWE.
My yard is ground rod city anyway. I bury the whole thing just leaving
the ground wire out of the ground.  At the far end of the new EWE is a
complete circle of 5 foot copper pipes in the ground around a tree
sitting in watter most of the year.  I climbed both trees. The first one
somewhat with a help of the ladder and the second one all the way up to
the top of the topped tree. The height of the two sections are pretty
close too. I wired in the plugs for the jack on the matching
transformer. I always have extra made up along with the pots in the
boxes and all. If a cow steps on one, I can replace it quickly.   The
direction is not as "NW" as I wanted as the tree limbs are not in the
exact direction. I would say it runs about 280-285 degrees. My other EWE
runs at 240 degrees. The old one is 22X100X22 and the new one is
25X55X25. I can make it longer if I wish. If I move it over a limb or
two  I can to get more of a NW lobe, but with a EWE, I doubt it would
make any difference.
First impressions. I got it done right before LSS. The 2.5 K  ohm pot
peaked pretty nicely, using the signal generator as a transmitter to
monitor the R8 signal out at the termination.  I had parked the pot  on
the box where 950 ohms was with a line so setting it up there "in the
ballpark" was easy. I decided since I wanted to null the SE, I would go
after a biggie, KXL-750. They are a total powerhouse pest that blocks
750. I do hear UT and AK at times, but KXL is strong here day & night.
It was very interesting, something I have never heard before. I turned
the S350 on and checked out the R8 signal of 750, all I basically heard
was LOUD IBOC hash from KCBS on 750! If I listened close KXL was buried
in a hash! I quickly set the pot as good as I could considering there
was so much skip and groundwave on 750. I ran into the house and quickly
turned across the dial. Just about all Portland stations were in a
jumble. I have never experienced that here especially since many are
directional this way at 70-75 miles! I could not believe my ears! 910
KKSN was lost under C&W station  (presume CKDQ), and a jumble of  other
stations. 970 Portland was not even there, and so on. KEX-1190 was about
the only Portland station I could hear and even they had a couple
stations tearing up the signal. I soon discovered that TAs were again in
and I got 1314 Norway pretty decent in NN and presumed Croatia on 1134
with some Slavic language. 1215 was rock music, but terrible 1210
splatter.
Getting back to the EWE, a bit later on I had KFQD-750 Anchorage S9+10
DB totally dominant over the jumble. Later I did get KXL but KFQD has
been tearing them up all evening. I have not heard KFQD that good since
I had my NNW beverage. CFLD 760 BUrns Lake BC 500 w  was very good and
so was High Prairie AB on 1020 - 400w . This new EWE does get some stuff
the other wires get, but so many channels null the E/SE that channels
can be a total jumble mess. I think this antenna will be a lot of fun. I
can't wait to try it on TPs in the morning!

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside  OR