[HCDX] a new discovery about the Sanyo MCD-S830 portable

[HCDX] a new discovery about the Sanyo MCD-S830 portable

Aside for some Latins the past two evenings in below average conditions, I found something really exciting !

On the back of my analog Sanyo MCD-S830 AM/FM tape recording/playing + playing only and CD player portable, there is a switch called "Beat 1-2-3". As most of you know, when I press play/rec. on many frequencies, I get a BFO-like growl that kills the signal. Well, this is history ! By switching the Beat functions I can tape 580, 585, 670 (which I had to slightly detune to avoid the growl which maked 690 Infos 690 splatter more of a problem on the other hand), 750 and other channels. When the tape recording was repaired in 2003, the frequencies where these "strange noises" appeared moved up a few kHz higher, which is why you can find Venezuela-750 and 670 recorded on the LatinMWDX web-site without any problems. Now, I can make new recordings of these ones again. My question is why this radio has this "Beat 1-2-3" feature on it ? What does that means ? It is quite strange for a radio to have these features, since this radio wasn't initially beaing meant for the DX'er.

I discovered this Sunday night.

I don't know why, but today I'm more tired. Hopefully the red globules aren't jumping back to lower levels after the ending chemistry-therapy. There are a few personal e-mails from 2 or 3 DX'ers and others I didn't answered yet and probably most important at all, I missed school completely today, I did not even attend the last period which was an English class. Tomorrow, I have a scan to determine precisely if the tumour is completely gone. I hope everything will be perfect.

Aside from the "pure Latin American DX" and usual very poor Spain-585 reception, I listened to NYC's SS station on 1380 kHz both yesturday and today just after sunset. Today, was way much better than yesturday when they weren't very reliable. Today it was dominating over WNLA almost all the time with little fading. They always play Nice and Wild's Diamond Girl as an interval signal before the DJ chats with the listeners, the only DX signal playing Latin freestyle one of my favorite kinds of music. I wonder why it never made much of a buzz outside North America, unfortunately, I wonder why. It should have been widely popular in areas like Venezuela where nightlife is very popular and freestyle dance music have lots of Latin roots ! I heard it in Romania on a few occasions, for gymnastics for exemple I remember exercises with Stevie B. music, but I don't recall ever hearing Lil' Suzy or the likes on the dozens of FM pirates I listened in 1996-1997 (not the best period for freestyle, but they played some older dance tracks too like Milli Vanilli, etc.). The short-skip domestic signals fade-in very late, slightly before local sunset, but it's not auroral enough for wall-to-wall YVs, HJs (which aren't too easy here) and other interesting exotic stations, this is clear !

But I still hope to get some interesting Venezuelans later on, at least 2 or 3 signals. I only received Radio Rumbos twice this season, each time with really sub-standard reception and they used to be fairly regular in 2000, rarely really strong and never like RVC-530, YVKS-750 and HJAJ(RCN)-760 which where the best signals that season, but despite local on the 2nd adjacent, they were very nice to listen to. Ecos del Torbes was an interesting target, programming-wise too. I wonder if they still use at least 780 kHz. I never catched them here, only Coro which is very regular this season (more regular than on any other one), though not consistent on a nightly based.

Well, that's it for now !
Have a great evening and be the good DX stuff with you !
Bogdan Chiochiu

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is coming out.