[HCDX] Some interesting MW logs from this week

[HCDX] Some interesting MW logs from this week

Report from:
Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
4190 Edward Higgins
H8Y 3M9
Pierrefonds, Quebec, Canada
Equipment: Sanyo MCD-S830 AM-FM analog portable w/ internal ferrite bar antenna

Venezuelan local radio:

780 YVNM, Radio Coro, Coro, estado Falcón NOV 21 0312 UTC - Tuned-in to the end of ID announcement, "Radio Coro Siete-Ochenta" singed jingle followed by an old-school cumbia tune. Briefly in at a fairly nice level (though not as strong as a few weeks ago) with local splatter from CJAD-800. (Chiochiu-QC)

Mainland Central America:

600vt Nicaragua, YNLD, Managua NOV 25 0337 UTC - Very tentative ! Briefly in, very poor with lots of Radio Rebelde QRM and WICC barely detectable, playing romantic female Spanish vocal. Windows Media Player don't work anymore (see comments below) which is why I couldn't // it with the Net's stream. This is the only Latin station beside Cuba and the now inactive or low-powered Dominican that can make inland and with the relatively poor conditions I doubt YVQB or HJHJ (the 760 Colombian from the same city as HJHJ was very poor with growl and some residual WJR interference). (Chiochiu-QC)

5 kHz splits:

555 ST KITTS, ZIZ, Basseterre NOV 25 0324 UTC - Man in Caribbean accented English over soca tune "all the other stations, say goodbye to them and Zed Eye Zed in". Regular, present most nights. (Chiochiu-QC)

585 SPAIN, Radio Nacional de España, Madrid - NOV 20 2352 UTC - Faded up to audibility at this time weak squeezed between the 580 and 590 domestics and at 2354 woman mentionated "mundo" in apparent Spanish talk program. Extremely poor reception. + NOV 21 0402 - Could catche the RNE news jingle at an extremely threshold level, the talk was way down in the mud incomprehensible + NOV 23 2307 - Brief fading ups at this time with guitar music. This one is audible often, but always at very threshold levels, because Trans-Atlantic conditions are poorer these days (but it's still great to hear even that considering I live in an inland location and I only use a barefoot portable). A 9 kHz split that is also a 5 kHz one. (Chiochiu-QC)

Stuff from the Canadian Maritimes:

720 CHTN, Charlottetown, PEI NOV 23 1803 EST - w/ electric organ based oldie (sounded like Caravan, a British progressive rock band which used a lot of organ on their debut 1969 album), followed by what sounded like Tom Jones, then "... station ... ... ... ... ... Good Time 7-20 CHTN" ID followed by a mowtown oldie. Initially good with adjacent local powerhouse CKAC-730 nulled as much as possible (quite a lot), but during the apparent Tom Jones song, WGN was getting stronger and stronger. PEI # 2, province completed ! (Chiochiu-QC)

780 CFDR, Yarmouth, NS NOV 24 2213 EST - Assumed w/ female country tune similar to German's "schlager" style. Very strong with the Sanyo perpendicular to the N-S direction. When the radio was aimed E-W, it was still very strong, but bits of WBBM came on this channel. After a couple of minutes, the signal weakened a lot, but it was still strongest on the N-S bearing. What's up with this one ? (Chiochiu-QC)

First of all, despite conditions weren't too good, I still managed to get a few interesting stations. The biggest oddity was last night as RCR-750 was very good and I tried to get Coro on 780. What I got instead was an in-your-face signal from apparently CFDR in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. They were huge and were stronger on the N-S bearing which is strange. Anyone noticed this thing and know why they were received this way ? I'm also proud of catching CHTN-720. At this point I have received all PEI AM stations (there are only 2, this one and CFCY-630).

The bad thing now is that Windows Media Player is not working anymore. Each time I try to play a supported media file or a live stream, I get the following error message "This file is corrupt or not supported by Windows Media Player". I also learned that someone is acceding my computer, certainly due to Lime Wire file sharing system for music download. I didn't used Lime Wire for a few months due to the cancer treatments and the big amount of time spent on DX'ing, but the person that achieved access to my computer did maintain it unfortunately. What I've just done before writing this e-mail is that I've deleted some of the WMP files and I will try to install it again. I also occasionally get some messages like "this program is illegal..." and on one or two occasions yesturday, a blue screen appeared while reading some old interesting e-mails over the LatinMWDX web-site, with a message stating "The computer is instable...". So, we may need to fix it up.

Otherwise, everything is fine. I hope to get some interesting DX this evening and I hope that I'll be able to continue to communicate with great DX'ers, write down tips and logs if the damages to the computer aren't too severe.

Be the good DX stuff with you !
Bogdan

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is coming out.