[HCDX] Pacific Radio Heritage News #8

---------------------------------
***Pacific Radio Heritage News***
---------------------------------
***November/December 2005*** Issue No.8
---------------------------------

1. The story about Christmas Island Radio seems to be attracting lots
of new hits the past week or so, for some reason! If you haven't read
it yet, it's at www.radioheritage.net and is the story of the Pacific
Christmas Island, not the Indian Ocean one. Another Christmas story
is WVTR's 1945 Xmas with lots of old photos from this Tokyo station.

2. In 1939, Chinese operatic star Louise Kwan made a dramatic appeal
via shortwave radio to her lost son and parents in China. The
broadcast came from W6XBE at the San Francisco Exhibition, the
station later better known as KGEI. Read Adrian Peterson's latest
column at www.radioheritage.net for the full story.

3. Thanks to Des Davey of New Zealand, we've added Vol.1 No.1 of
'Radio and Hobbies in Australia' magazine to our research library.
This includes an item about the opening broadcast of W6XBE from
Treasure Island, San Francisco Bay. Learn more about this popular and
entertaining magazine, coming soon in: From David's Desk.

Save US$200 Xmas Special.
We've taken US$200 off the price of the full set of 12 gold
Australian Vintage Wireless medallions. This offer ends at 11.59pm
PST on Friday, December 23 2005 unless stocks exhausted earlier. Just
US$495 secures your own set, one of only 300 originally available
worldwide. Read testimonials from happy buyers and get your set today
at www.radioheritage.net. Save US$200 Xmas Special.

4. Interested in hearing some audioclips of Pacific radio stations? We
recommend Dave Kernick's website: www.intervalsignalsonline.com for
some nostalgic and contemporary sounds. Dave used to work for BBC
Monitoring, and has over 3500 Real Audio clips currently on line.
On-line audio at www.radioheritage.net is now planned for the first
quarter of 2006.

5. In April 1919, an Australian coastal trading vessel, the Riverina,
tested very early radio equipment before sailing from Sydney. We've
had a query about these broadcasts and if you can help, please
contact us. Was the transmitter tested earlier, maybe before it was
placed aboard the Riverina? Frequency? Power? Type of transmitter and
equipment used? Information about the vessel Bombala which sailed a
few months later and also had early radio gear aboard is also invited.

Great Holiday Season Gift Ideas under $15 @www.radioheritage.net
Art of Radio Japan 2006 Calendar $5.99, Art of Radio Japan 100%
cotton value T-shirt $13.49, Antique Radio Trader Radio & TV Price
Guide 2006 $13.59, Secrets of Podcasting $13.59.
Free Shipping on selected items. Prices in USD. Save time with us.

6. The Art of Radio Japan Exhibition hosted by the Embassy of Japan
[Wellington, New Zealand], is officially opened by the Japanese
Ambassador on November 30. It then runs December 1 2005-February 28
2006 at the Japanese Information & Cultural Centre, Mezzanine Floor,
Majestic Centre, 100 Willis Street, Wellington. Hours: 9am-5pm
Mon-Fri. A childrens art competition runs January 17-February 17
2006. If you're visiting Wellington over the exhibition period,
you're very welcome to enjoy this light-hearted and quirky look at
local Japanese radio on the 80th anniversary of broadcasting in
Japan. You can also enjoy the popular on-line version at
www.radioheritage.net.

7. Our popular serial 'Story of KFSG' has ended with Part 6 now
on-line. This Los Angeles radio station helped 1.5m needy folks
during the Great Depression, won a citation for war bond sales in
WWII, and finally ended transmission in early 2003. Enjoy the story
now on-line, as well as Parts 1-5. Look out for our new radio serial
coming soon at www.radioheritage.net. This is about 2KY Sydney.

Great Holiday Season Gift Ideas under $25 @ www.radioheritage.net
Passport to World Band Radio 2006 $15.61, Art of Radio Japan cotton
canvas tote bag $19.49, World Radio Television Handbook 2006 $19.77,
Brass Button Broadcasters $24.95, Gift Package of 1 hours research
$25.00. Free Shipping on selected items. Prices in USD. Save $ here.

8. Nearly 90 locations are listed in our new guide to Armed Forces
Radio Japan, from the early mobile units on southern Kyushu to the
various camp stations of the late 1950's. Includes rare WLKE and FEN
logos, as well as links to our trilogy of WVTR Tokyo stories. WVTR
Xmas 1945 celebrates 60 years ago heritage radio. As usual, if you've
been involved with AFRS-FEN or have memorabilia and memories to
share, please contact us. On-line now: AFRS Japan.

9. Bruce Portzer's PAL [Pacific Asian Log] of 4300+ mediumwave
stations from around the region has been updated again for November.
This is the searchable version, very easy to use, and very popular.
Coming soon is PAL Shortwave. In the meantime, visit the PAL page
today for full broadcasting details of Asian-Pacific AM radio.

Great Holiday Season Gift Ideas over $25 @ www.radioheritage.net
ARRL Handbook 2006 $39.95, Art Deco Australian Vintage Wireless
Limited Edition set of 12 gold medallions. $495. Save $200 Xmas
Special. Usually $695. Free shipping on selected items. Prices in USD.

10. Look for the 'more stories' tagline in our 'Latest Stories'
column, and you'll go through to our easy to use stories index. This
lists all stories now on line, with brief excerpts, and details of
location and station. This index expands regularly as content grows.

11. A little more VU2ZP Bangalore content has been added, including a
unique wall hanging mural map of AFRS 'India Burma Network' stations.
A wonderful example of the response to our call for memorabilia from
China-Burma-India AFRS stations, and again thanks to Patricia Dabbs
in Georgia. In: From David's Desk.

Testimonial: 'I'd like to say how pleased I am with my recent
purchase of two sets of the fabulous radio medallions. The quality
and presentation of our rich radio history depicted by the medallions
goes way beyond the call of any dedicated historian. Yet, without
Steve's expertise and preservation of the industry, we as collectors
would have little.' Neale Korff, Radio Collector, Perth, Western
Australia. Complete set $US495, save $US200 @www.radioheritage.net.

12. Pitcairn Island has an unusual radio heritage we're pleased to
share. On-line now is a rare photo of Floyd McCoy's ham shack for
VR6AC on the island in the mid-1950's. Adrian Peterson's next column
gives a unique insight into shortwave broadcasts from the island in
the 1930's, with details of how radio saved the islanders lives more
than once. And, we've found some early photos of the RNZAF shortwave
station on the island in the 1940's. For a true bounty of Pitcairn
radio memorabilia, keep an eye on www.radioheritage.net.

13. We recently came across a 1940's item from Sydney's 2CH with
details of all the programs on air, including Bob Pollard's '2CH Hit
Parade'at 8pm on Mondays, followed by 'Hits of the Day from the USA'
at 9pm. We've been looking for the oldest evidence of an Australian
'Hit Parade' or 'Top 10' program for some months, and it looks like
2CH from the late 1940's is the best seen so far. If you know of
other 'Top 10' type programs from the 1940's or even 1930's, and have
station memorabilia or newspaper clippings about them, please let us
know.

14. There's still a bit of a backlog for new content coming on-line,
but our webmaster is now back on his feet! We've got a number of
projects running and volunteers with a few hours to spare and
internet access from anywhere in the world are always very welcome.
Just drop an email to info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and tell us how you'd
like to get involved.

15. On-line research is always helpful, and specific areas of
interest to us right now include antique and vintage radio sets from
Australia, New Zealand, China and Philippines, AM-FM radio in the
Philippines, the current Low Power FM scene in New Zealand,
historical amateur radio operations, early maritime and aviation
broadcasting [up to 1950] from any Pacific islands.

16. Our media releases and previous newsletters can be downloaded
on-line, as well as easy forms to register memorabilia with us and
remember us in your will. Get Involved: left-hand menu options on
every page.

We're a registered non-profit charity. Your financial support helps
preserve and promote the Pacific's radio heritage. We have no
financial support from any government, broadcaster or commercial
sponsors. We've committed all our personal funds to allow work on
this project to begin and move forward, and your donations of time,
materials and funds continue to encourage us and maintain free access.
Important: Please use the same email address you received this at
otherwise we can't remove the correct one!  Our mailing address is PO
Box 14339, Wellington, New Zealand. Other contact options are at
www.radioheritage.net. If you've received this newsletter from a
friend and want to be added to our list, just visit
www.radioheritage.net and click 'Membership'. It's obligation free.

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is coming out.