[HCDX] Pan-American logs DEC 2 - DEC 3

Hello to all of you !

For the first time in ages, since I begun the chemo, I woke before 5 in a half in the morning. While conditions were far from spectacular like on the morning of November 3, 2000 when RCN Barranquilla was still audible at a fair level fading down slowly at 1 minute past 6 o'clock, I had fun DXing. It was nice to hear this time the shorter-haul Cuban Rebeldes as late as 1108 UTC on the AM band. An unexpected bonus, shortly after 5 and a half, logged my 4th Nova Scotia station in the form of CBI-1140, mention of Sydney and // CBA-1070. I also did a bit of listening last night too. I heard Progreso on 630 and 640 // with 890. The Isla Juventud CMOA station on 630 kHz can be counted as a separate country, I think. The conditions weren't really auroral, but the solar alert on the playdx list wasn't that great. I expected at least some truly semi-auroral conditions, but it wasn't really the case last night. Still, conditions had to be at least very sligthly auroral, enough for a lack of the faintest trace of Madrid-585 and for allowing the lower powered Progreso on 630 to be heard or some Spanish on 840 (the Doble V station, I think) through WHAS. Still, it was strange, since usually Auroral conditions means no Canadian Maritimes signals and yet I had the pleasure to add CBI-1140 to my log (which I should update soon). Probably this geomagnetic activity was so little last night that the impact was already gone this morning.

I also listened to Shortwave later this morning while working for a French exam and caught RFI on 15.3, Africa Numéro Un with mostly Afro-pops on 17.63 as well as Rebelde still hanging in at 8 in the morning at a threshold and fading level. Most of my SW reception though is hammered by an extremely strong local on 1570 which was heard in the background of all the signals on the upper SW bands. I found, I could have a better reception of Gabon-17630 with just the telescopic antenna on my Sangean CST-818 which is sad.

Venezuelans were very poor unfortunately, so no use reporting them. This was the only other disapointement aside from the slight overload on SW due to my proximity to CFAV-1570 accross the Rivières-des-Prairie river in the south-western Laval area of Saint-Dorothée.

Here is the log:

530 TURKS AND CAICOS,   RVC, South Caicos DEC 3 2257 - noted in passing at a very good level. Growl from a neighbir's computer probably later in the evening. (Chiochiu-QC)

555 ST. KITTS,   ZIZ, Basseterre DEC 3 0305 - Very good at tune-in w/ Caribbean English taking listeners call with soca music played on and off during the calls, then soca tune. Faded down quickly in just 2 or 3 minutes, but come back at 0313 with a sad soca melody at a briefly fair level (that I recorded). Slight to moderate CHLN-550 splatter depending on the fading. (Chiochiu-QC)

600 CUBA,   CMKV, Radio Rebelde, Urbano Norris DEC 3 1058 - Very good and dominant with a really barely discernable co-channel WICC. Adult Contemporary man vocal with guitar followed by a nice time-check "En toda Cuba, la siete de la mañana", instrumental jingle, then man with "¡ Cubanas, cubanos, muy buenos días ! Aquí Radio Rebelde, desde la Havana-Cuba, presentado el primer mayor informativo de la radio cubana. Desde la cinco de la mañana y hasta las nueves, estamos juntos aquí en radio con toda la actualidad de Cuba y el mundo. Profesionales del periodismo y la comunicación buscan la (oficia?) la presencia de sus protagonistas. Soy el 3 de diciembre ded año 2005, es un día de la ??? Latino Americana y Haciendo Radio a travez de todas sus frecuencias en AM, FM y onda corta y a travez de nuestro sitio live rrebelde.cu." then announced it will present the most important headlines, time-check as local 7:02 AM followed by cuban nx to 1106 when it switched to international nx "noticias del mundo". At 1107, the signal faded down quite a bit but still at a pretty good and listenable level slightly stronger than WICC with item about drugs found in Guatemala. By 1109 when woman talked, reception got essentially unusable. (Chiochiu-QC)

630 CUBA,   CMOA, Radio Progreso, Isla Juventud DEC 3 0422 - "Nocturno" pgm of Adult Contemporary music mixing with CHLT Sherbrooke and WPRO Providence, // 640 and 890. 890 had the best signal. Rare ! First time this season ! (Chiochiu-QC)

670 CUBA,   Radio Rebelde, Arroyo Arrenas DEC 2 2255 - w/ political speach made by woman about the unity of the Cubans followed at 2300 by man addressing the people with "Compañeros y compañeras...", roughly the same as the ever-popular "Tovarãs,i  s,i  tovarãs,e" beginning of Ceausescu's speaches. Already good at this early time. DEC 3 1112 - mixing with WWFE, both good and blewed away at 1113 when an unID day-timer signed on with anthem. (Chiochiu-QC)

710 CUBA,   Radio Rebelde DEC 3 0445 - with news summary pgm of the day. This was the dominant signal on 710, and not WOR which only from time to time topped the frequency latter last night. (Chiochiu-QC)

760 COLOMBIA,   HJAJ, RCN Barranquilla DEC 3 0212 - RCN Feliz Navidad jingle. Good, in WJR null. (Chiochiu-QC)

840 CUBA,    CMHV, Santa Clara DEC 3 0305 - Presumed. (Chiochiu-QC)

890 CUBA,   CMDZ, Radio Progreso, Chambas DEC 3 1030 - with talk about the Cuban communist party. Initially very good, then it slowly faded away. Comeback weakly a bit after 6 AM local. (Chiochiu-QC)

910 VENEZUELA,    YVRQ, Caracas, DF / CUBA   CMAF Camagüey DEC 02 0214 - Tropical music briefly audible, then faded out and replaced by a sports game (not sure if baseball or soccer) with mention of Camagüey. (Chiochiu-QC)

Domestic DX:

1140 CBI, Sidney, NS DEC 3 0532 - mention of Sidney during weather forecast in WRVA null. Was // 1070. New ! A pleasant surprise ! Heard while trying unsusccesfully for the Monterrey station. (Chiochiu-QC)
1450 CHUC Cobourg, ON DEC 3 0900+ - in the car while shopping for bread heard this one with sometimes excellent levels, topping the jumble with IDs as being a classic hits and today's favorite station, but didn't heard any music from the 2000, just 60's and 70's music, both rock'n'roll and disco (Bee Gees - Night Fever). One of the few GY stations I heard from over 200 kilometers away in my relatively short DX career and my limited domestic DX listening. (Chiochiu-QC)

Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
4190 Edward Higgins
H8Y 3M9
Pierrefonds, (Montreal's West Island) Quebec, Canada
Sanyo MCD-S830 w/ internal ferrite bar antenna

I wish everyone a great week-end, and plenty of signals !
Be the good DX stuff with you !
Bogdan Chiochiu

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is coming out.