[HCDX] foreign MW DX logs for Saturday Night

[HCDX] foreign MW DX logs for Saturday Night

Report from:
Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
4190 Edward Higgins
H8Y 3M9
Pierrefonds (Montreal's West Island), Quebec, Canada
Equipment:
Sanyo MCD-S830 with ferrite bar antenna
Sangean CST-818 with long-wire in our interior yard

Trans-Atlantic DX:

585 SPAIN,   Radio Nacional de España, Madrid DEC 4 0049 - "transmite Radio Nacional de España...FM...veinti-ocho" ID followed by gypsy pop music then woman with listener phone. The woman asked the listener "¿ Como estas ?". Poor, but quite easy to understand for a few minutes. + DEC 4 0205 - caught the end of the news, followed by "Radio Nacional de España, informativo" canned ID with instrumental news jingle in the background, then promo. Faded out shortly after the promo. + DEC 4 0241 - SS rock, then feature about Spaniard children. Faded away at 0245, but did comeback at 0251 with nice tropical pop female vocal, man presenting the songs "Radio Nacional...vamos ahóra escuchar música de..." then introduced a romanian-like song, really similar to the style of "muzicã popularã" which means music of the people. Couldn't catch the name of the two songs unfortunately. Poor with deep and long fadings, but fairly good peaks at times with relatively minor adjacent splatter from CKRS/WEZE-590 and CFRA / others - 580. (Chiochiu-QC)

Pan-American DX:

530 TURKS AND CAICOS,   Radio Visión Cristiana Internacional, South Caicos DEC 4 0131 - Jingle followed by a great funky gospel Spanish tune. Excellent, way over computer growl from the neighborhood ! (Chiochiu-QC)

555 ST KITTS,   ZIZ, Basseterre DEC 4 0155-0204 - with program of ugly drunk-like singers and children-like calypso tunes. Man with time-check and program announcements between the really mediocre tunes. Good at times. (Chiochiu-QC)

670 CUBA,   Radio Rebelde, Arroyo Arrenas DEC 4 0116 - "7 por 6 contra la isla" mark noted during baseball game. Huge signal in WSCR Chicago null. (Chiochiu-QC)

Shortwave DX:

6185 FRANCE,   RFI to Romania DEC 3 2230-2300 - program about Christmas, samples of French songs with female announcer in Romanian from the city of Avignon. Very good peaks, fading; excellent just before 2300. First DX in Romanian in ages ! (Chiochiu-QC)

Despite the Wensday report of moderate solar activity, I was able to hear some half-decent reception of RNE-585, a station I always enjoy to listen to for both the program content and the distance involved. But on the other hand, CKEC wasn't noted on 1320 at all yesturday and my attempts on hearing Norway-1314 were once again without even the faintest result. Madrid is on a lower latitude than New Glasgow, NS, let alone Kvitsoy, Norway so who knows. Still, most of the effects that the moderate solar activity had over the Earth vanished yesturday, as illustrated by some day-time skywave such as WWRL in Saint-Jérôme before 3 PM and the ability to have a nice Trans-Atlantic catche.

Conditions toward the Caribbean weren't too bad, but the quality of the music played on ZIZ was really mediocre and no South Americans were heard. If I didn't had this awful extremely strong and overmodulated local on 1570, I could get here in Pierrefonds, WWRL-1600 from New York City very regularly with exotic Caribbean music slightly similar to the one played on ZIZ-555, but way much more melodic reagge, R&B and much less songs that have nothing to do with quality music. Well...

On SW, I was very happy after the Romanian dinner to hear DX in Romanian on 6185 with an RFI program on a frequency not listed in the PWBR while trying for Brazil. However, African signals were poor and Guinea Equatorial on 5005 wasn't to be heard at all.

Recordings of the funky gospel tune heard on Caicos-530 as well as some of the signal peaks on Spain-585 are available for those interested in them.

Be the good DX stuff with you and a good week at work for everyone !
Bogdan Chiochiu

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is coming out.