[HCDX] LW reception 12/17

For over 20 years, living in Va. Beach, VA, Atlanta, GA and now the
Outer Banks of NC, I've twiddled down the LW band almost every time
I've turned on my radios. I've had everything from 100 ft longwires
to slopers to loops. Never once heard a LW broadcaster and only a few
regional beacons. Last night, tuning down the band around 0500 UTC
there was Europe 1 booming in on 183 khz, Medi 1 on 171 khz and
France Inter on 162! Even stranger, signals were fairly easy to hear
on the Sony ICF-7600 using only the internal loop. Nearly audible
signals were just under the noise floor for the UK and Luxembourg. I
know this had to be the result of enhanced conditions..was 12/17 a
good T/A night for MW DXers? I was lucky enough in October to log my
first TA's during those enhanced nights!

I stayed on Europe 1 and have enough for a report--anyone know if
these guys QSL? Didn't see any recent ones on the web or in any of my
club publications!

Russ Lay
Nags Head, NC

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is coming out.