[HCDX] Pan-American DX heard last night

Hello to all of you !

Conditions last night were very slightly better than in the past couple of days which resulted in the following receptions:

530 TURKS AND CAICOS,   RVC, South Caicos DEC 21 0303 - Gospel music; good to very poor at this time. (Chiochiu-QC)

555 ST KITTS,   ZIZ, Basseterre DEC 21 0302 - Caribbean programming at a fairly good level with some minor CHLN-550 slops (Chiochiu-QC)

890 CUBA,   CMDZ, Radio Progreso, Chambas DEC 21 0259 - Canned theme song with canned ID "Radio Progreso, cadena nacional; La onda del alegria transmitiendo desde la Havana, Cuba, primer territorio libre en America" followed by time-check and the Perspectiva political program. Quite good at this time (Chiochiu-QC)

Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
4190 Edward Higgins
H8Y 3M9
Pierrefonds (Montreal's West Island), Quebec, Canada
acq@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(514) 685-0714

First of all, it was a little bit sad to learn about the death of enthusiast and veteran DXer Bjorn Malm. I really miss him. It was such a big challenge to listen to brand new radio stations without knowing what to expect on the basis of other's experience. Also, he was able to pick up Bolivia-1590, a country very difficult to listen to on mediumwave from any part of the world. I really appreciate the .WMA audio files he took the time to prepare on his web-site. He joined LatinMWDX just a few weeks ago and didn't even had the time to contribute. May the good angels bless him !

Secondly, when you look at my logs, you will notice there aren't many details for RVC-530 and ZIZ-555; it's because I listened to them for just a few seconds. Conditions were very poor, but better than yesturday when, with the exception of Rebelde-670 and RVC-530 nothing even half-decent from the Caribbean or Venezuela could be heard on MW here.

On SW, I missed both Medi Un 9575 kHz and Brazil-6180 and RTB-5030 has been unusable. Right now, condx are only VERY slightly better on SW too with Brazil-6180 poor to fair with fadings, but nothing on 5030 or 5025 kHz. I may initiate someone at the AM band DX hobby soon, so I'm hoping conditions will get better in the next couple of days.

I added a very few more corrections on my article about how and why to DX Venezuelan MW stations. If any of you is interested in receiving a copy in private e-mail, please let me know. I wonder if it's a good idea to publish it on

Last, but not least, have succesfully passed my French exam; a great mark on grammar and certainly a great mark on the argumentative composition against the selling of the water too. One last exam to go tomorrow and the holidays are here !

Be the good DX stuff with you !
Bogdan

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.