[HCDX] Dispute Knocks BBC Russia Off Air

[HCDX] Dispute Knocks BBC Russia Off Air

Dispute Knocks BBC Russia Off Air

23/12/2005 11:02 AM
Reuters
A legal dispute has knocked the BBC's Russian service off the air in Moscow,
officials said on Thursday, although the corporation insisted all its
licences were in order.

Konstantin Eggert, Moscow bureau editor for the BBC's Russian service, said
the company which broadcasts the corporation's programmes had lost its
licence, causing it to lose its medium wave transmission in the Russian
capital.

"We officially have a right to broadcast. We were not the ones who lost the
right to broadcast, it was the service provider," he told Reuters.

Grigory Kliger, head of the Oktod operating company, told Moscow's Ekho
Moskvy radio that the license for the frequency had run out and that the
documents needed to renew it had not been ready in time.

Russian news agencies reported that the service provider, which broadcasts
the British Broadcasting Corporation's news in Russian along with
English-language programming, did not have a licence from the federal agency
that regulated programming.

A spokesman for the agency (Rosokhrankultura) told Interfax news agency that
the BBC made its broadcasts without a broadcasting license.

"The BBC only had a technical license from the Communications Ministry, but
it did not have a licence from (our agency)," the spokesman said.

But other officials said the problem arose from a mix-up rather than from
any desire to halt the broadcasts.

The BBC is well-known and prestigious in Russia and its service was popular
in Soviet times for Russians keen to find a Western source of news.

Find this item at:
http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,11965-5182180,00.html

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.