[HCDX] TocobagaDX #78

TOCOBAGA DX #78
CLEARWATER, FLORIDA, USA
E-mail: tocobagadx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

For the only definitve listing of unlicensed and low power FM, pirates and TIS
stations within Florida and occasionally beyond, visit my "Florida Low Power
Radio Stations" at: http://home.earthlink.net/~tocobagadx/flortis.html and
http://www.geocities.com/geigertree/flortis.html.

© 2006, Terry L Krueger.  Retransmit or quote all or any portion only with full
credit given to TOCOBAGA DX and any attributed source(s).  All frequencies are
in kHz, times/dates in GMT unless otherwise stated.

Some of the below logs were made while to/from the Orlando ham radio convention
at the Central Florida Fairgrounds on SR-50, with Gerry Bishop on 11 February.
Later this day, we linked up with David Crawford for the ethno-pirate DFing war
games.

600 LOUISIANA WVOG, New Orleans; 1834-1906 12 February.  Great signal for only 1
kW, early afternoon local.  Tune-in to "The Hour of Decision" gospel program
with male preacher, TX address, ending with remake version of Frank & Nancy
Sinatra's "Something Stupid (Becuase I Love You)" then male canned promo for a
10:30 a.m. weeday program.  Quick canned "WVOG, New Orleans" into network news
till 1905, more broker gospel stuff.  Alone and good.  (Krueger, Clearwter, FL)

780 FLORIDA (TIS) "Florida State Fair Information Radio" KAZ5520, Tampa;
definitely silent as we passed the Fairgrounds 11 February, mid-morning local--
this being the thirda day of the Fair -- and no blue signs along I-4 any more
(albeit, lots of construction and new road embankments in the process of being
installed).  (Krueger/Gerry Bishop)

810 FLORIDA WEUS, Orlovista; no trace of this in Hillsborough County while
driving I-4 eastbound, 1430+ 11 February.  Recheck in SW Orlando, strong with
canned Scott Shannon "double shot" 60's-70's oldies (Dave Clark 5, John Lennon,
etc.), none of which were actually two-set songs by the same artists.  Canned ID
by man just before 1700.  Amazingly tight pattern, presumably to protect WMGG,
Largo, Florida on 820, and just maybe as an afterthought, ZNS3, Freeport.
(Krueger/Bishop)

1300 FLORIDA WTIR, Cocoa Beach;  No trace of it on 11 February in the Orlando
area, if active, though at least two blue "Tourist Info" signs for 1300 spotted
still standing on I-4. (Krueger/Bishop)

1420 FLORIDA (PIRATE) "Radio Godgive" Orlando; noted mid-afternoon local on 11
February, but antenna no longer located at the building Crawford DF'ed it to
awhile back (just off Lancaster on Winegard).  The station seems to be further
west now, judging from the signal.  Terrible weather and lack of time prevented
re-DFing this one to the new location.  (Krueger/Bishop/David Crawford)

1500 FLORIDA WKIZ, Key West; 1200-1212 12 February.  Tune-in to instrumental
Cuban mx (end of brokered Spanish? Or just filler?) then man "This is WKIZ, 1500
A-M, broadcasting from Key West, Florida. The following is a paid advertisiment
program."  Into snake oil joint lubricant infomercial.  Very strong on sunrise
peak.  (Krueger, Clearwater, FL)

1620 (PIRATE) "Radio Keenanm" Orlando; also noted mid-afternoon local on 11
February, so we decided to pay a visit at their studio just off of the South
Orange Blossom Trail on 45th Street.  But, as Crawford previously detailed, we
did not receive a warm greeting upon entering the unlocked office where the
station originates (upstairs), and high-tailed it out of the neighborhood.
Photographed the antenna on the way out.  (Krueger/Bishop/Crawford)

1620 (TIS) FLORIDA Florida DoT multiple sites on I-4, Polk County; 11 February,
mid-morning local.  The xmtr located in the median near Exit 28 (which has been
in this approximate location for many months) remains active with a short,
fast-cycling male loop, referencing DoT Highway Advisory Radio and I4polk.com.
Big signal for a few miles eastbound.  Another xmtr was spotted near the
overpass at Exit 48, east side, but inactive.  A third near Exit 55 is also
active with man and woman loop, short DTMF tone, mentioning highly useful
traffic updates for the period of December 4-18 (2005).  Actually, I [Terry]
spotted at least a couple of other transmitters along I-4 in Polk, also
inactive, but didn't log the exit locations.  (Krueger/Bishop)

5010.00 UNIDENTIFIED; 0355-0430 12 February.  Weak with soft music (unable to
really tell if African or something else), no time sounders at 0400, but
language man talk till quick filler music at 0412, more talk, back to music.
Slowly faded out by 0430.  Not the reactivated Dominican, which signed off
earlier in the evening and is on the lower side of 5010.  Madagascar rarely
manages to hit the exact frequency when active, so if not them, who?
(Krueger/Bishop at Clearwater, FL)

6139.78 COLOMBIA Radio Lider, Bogotá;1147-1156 12 February.  Spanish ballads,
man canned, "Desde Bogotá, transmite Radio Lider en cadena HJCU A-M estereo, 730
kHz..."  Xlnt.  (Krueger, Clearwater, FL)

7320 IRAN Voice of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Sirjan; 1944-1956 12 February.
Very good with English service, female commentary, EZL fill mx, weather ("40%
chance of rain... high of 67) for various Iranian regions, with all temperatures
given in Farhenheit, then URL and address.  (Krueger, Clearwater, FL)

9505 CUBA Radio Rebelde;1142-1147 12 February.  Clear but rather weak, and
except for the usual 5025 xmtr, not parallel any other shortwave frequencies.
RHC Spanish on 6000,9550, 11760, 11805, 12000 and 15230 at the same time.
(Krueger, Clearwater, FL)

9705 THAILAND Radio Thailand, Udon Thani; 1402-1416 12 February.  Very good w/
English female newscast, lots of references to rain conditions in various parts
of the county, man at 1408, "This is Radio Thailand English language service"
and back to news topics.  (Krueger, Clearwater, FL)

11735.00 ZANZIBAR Radio Tanzania, Dole;1956-2016 12 February.  Very good copy
with Swahili man hosting short local instrumental and vocal music tracks. Five
long, one short time sounder 2000, Swahili woman ID, talk

89.5 MHz FLORIDA (PIRATE) unidentified; not active on the way to Orlando on 11
February, mid-morning local, but active when passing back to Clearwater on I-4
around Exit 64A and 64B (roughly the US-192, Kissimmee area) with poor signal
briefly.  Fifties and early 60's bubblegum pop, thus suspect "Old Town Radio"
(ex-95.9 MHz, which operates at the tourist shopping complex).  Also, the same
format as formerly active "Rare 60's Radio" on 87.9, 89.3 MHz, and "Old Town
Radio" of 660 kHz fame, circa 1993.  (Krueger/Bishop)

91.7 MHz FLORIDA (PIRATE)  unidentified ethno-Haitian, Orlando; a konpa music
station with no announcements here, as first discovered by Crawford earlier this
day, 11 February.  Quickly DF'ed this to just a couple of blocks from the former
"Radio Godgive" site.  Located at a run-down duplex at Lancaster and Lee Lan (or
Lee Ann, depending on which city street sign is the typo).  The stick is poorly
secured (typical Haitian craftsmanship) to a dead pine tree.  Stereo, but very
bassy.  Photographed the antenna from a rundown mercado parking lot located next
door.  (Krueger/Bishop/Crawford)

96.3 MHz FLORIDA (PIRATE) unidentified ethno-Haitian, Tampa; 2355+ 11 February.
On the way back to Clearwater, located this new one in stereo, but only a
marginal signal with nonstop Kreyol talk show, male host, occasional calls
patched through and most with bad caller radio feedback.  Signal remained about
the same until lost just after the Howard Frankland Bridge approach, westbound.
No Kreyol operations previously detected on this channel in Hillsborough County,
though could be any one of the many other unidentifieds that have briefly popped
up on other frequencies previously, or simply a new one.  (Krueger/Bishop)

96.3 MHz FLORIDA (PIRATE) "96.3 FM" St. Petersburg; the reggae pirate is back on
after at least a couple of weeks untraced.  Noted 12 February, 1258+ with the
usual automated reggae/ska format, stereo, fair in Clearwater.  (Krueger/Bishop,
Clearwater, FL)

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.