[HCDX] CKEC-1320 log

1320 CKEC, New Glasgow, NS FEB 15 1906 - Wx, ads followed my "Fire" of REM, Bon Jovi song, then "Monday Morning" by Maroon 5. Very good reception, almost local-like signal, mostly atop semi-nulled CJMR Mississauga. SINPO 53544 (Chiochiu-QC)

Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
DX'ing from home QTH in Pierrefonds (Montreal's West Island) using the Sanyo MCD-S830 barefoot

First of all, the good news: I beated that damned cancer !! After 2 fakes, the final result was 0.005, not 5 ! I'm really glad, since I was a bit anxious due to that. In fact, I've beated it since November, but I'm still having monthly appointments to make sure everything is fine and since on one blood tests the original result was given as 5 (the maximum being 2), I was a bit worried.

As far as DXing go, this was the only noteworthy reception. Couldn't get TAs last night, despite several tries, albeit not very intensive ones and considering the deep and especially long fades of trans-Atlantic MW signal, I probably have missed some, but not too much. After writing to some friends waiting anxiously the results of the last blood test, I tried to get Norway-1314, but only got overspills from CIWW Oldies 13-10. An index of 0 should bring back what I had on Sunday and Monday evenings when, for those of you not speaking much Spanish for reading my Conexión Digital et al reports, I tentatively got Saudi-594 as well as two 3-seconds brief burst of AA male pop mx audio from Egypt-774, on the Sangean 818 which is better in the late 700s, 800s and 900s than my Sanyo. By the way, during the trip this coming holiday which we'll probably still be Isla Margarita (on the trip agency, we can reserve up to the last minute and according to someone at school the YV islands are more secure than mainland YV-land and there are less problems deriving from Chávez paranoia) I'll only take the Sangean, not my Sanyo which is excellent in the low-end and high-end, but poorer in the 800s and 900s as far as MW is concerned, with me. This radio has better image rejection on FM and after a season long of chemo and AM DX, I need to change my mind with some fresh TEP FM DX, for a brand new listening experience. Aside from trans-equatorial 88-108 MHz Hi-Fi stereo enjoyment, I also expect, since the Caribbean sea is good for DX, some tropo-scatter random signals in and out VIRTUALLY ALL THE TIME, from Martinique and Guadeloupe, from where one of my favorite styles, zouk-love, is coming from on the clear channels. I also wonder if Isla Margarita is close enough to the equator for diurnal Es and if the Sangean CST-818 with it's built-in antenna is good enough for diurnal Es. What are the strenghts of diurnal e-skip reception on the FM band ? From here, I get weak and scattery reception popping in and out from Ottawa 90.7 all the time. Of course, the local radio, the beach, the swimming and the girls will be great too !

Also, one of the CumbreDX moderators, got Laser Hot Hits 6285, probably the only europirate on the air all the time, something that usually indicate good east-west condx which were gived by a very nice CKEC-1320 reception, but nothing really trans-Atlantic. 6285, properly speaking, for me, was full of splatter from a 6280 distorted receiver-generated spur from the extremely frustrating 1570 kHz local on the long-wire and noises from the nighborhood on the 818's telescopic antenna alone. 6220 Mystery Radio also has a spur on it, but a much weaker one or weaker background noise, depending on the way I connect the encoding cable to which the long-wire antenna is finally connected - an empiric system connection of mine, since my physics knowledge is really empirical. I know only some of the basics and some theoretical things.

Be the good DX with you and have a great end of this week's work !
Bogdan Chiochiu
"La jalousie est un grand pieux dans l'évolution spirituelle !"

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.