[HCDX] Loggings from Masset, Queen Charlotte Islands 19-23July

SRI LANKA 15475, 0341-, Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation Jul 20 Wonderfully warm programming.  Very old fashioned with wooly audio, and wishing everyone a good Thursday morning.  Greetings to listeners in Bangalore, and also Dubai.  Exclusively western music, including 'I believe in music, I believe in love'.  S5 to S6 signal with some obvious deep fades, but perfectly listenable, even if over 13000 km to Ekala!. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

OMAN 15575, 0349-,  BBCWS Jul 20 Excellent reception with sports report about the British Open and the problem with the hot dry weather.  Apparently to South Asia. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

BELARUS 11930, 0400-, Belarussian Radio Jul 20 After open carrier, jingle at 03:59:30, interval signal once at 0400 and ID...not Radio Belarus or Belaruskaya Radio.  I thought they said Radio Stalitsa, but it sounds in fact more like 'Radio Fax' or the like.  S7 to S8 signal. They mentioned the evacuation of Belarusian citizens from Lebanon!  Time check at 04:12 and ID.  I'm sure they're saying 'Radio Fact' (probably as opposed to Radio Fax). (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

GREAT BRITAIN 11770, 0419-, BBC Jul 20 Ukrainian service heard at good to very good levels with talk of the governmental problems in Ukraine.  500kw via Rampisham.  Parallel to slightly weaker 9895 (300 kw Woofferton) and 9560 (300 kw Skelton). (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

AUSTRALIA 2325, 1311-, VL8T Tennant Creek Jul 20 Very good reception with a call-in car show.  Nothing on 2310 Alice Springs, nor 2485 Katherine. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

INDONESIA 2960, 1318-, RPDT Manggarai Jul 20 A real treat and a regular on the dxpedition circuit with female announcer taking calls in Bahasa Indonesian. Giggling.  S5 signal a good hour after local sunrise.  Some ham type interference.  Not heard the following 3 mornings. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

TAIWAN 9485, 1321-, Shiokaze program Jul 20 Superb reception at S9 + 20 in Japanese today with lists of names over piano. Very weak cochannel, but barely audible so not a problem.  This went on until 13:26:20 and then into their canned ID and information for Shiokaze.  Many mentions of Shiokaze, and Tokyo, tampa and kHz. No mentions of email or www that I could here.  Off precisely at 13:30. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)
See below for their English broadcast on July 21st.

INDONESIA 3345.02, 1333-, RRI Ternate Jul 20 Solid S5 to S6 reception with standard Indo programming with a lone female announcer and into Indo music. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

CHINA 3900, 1337-, Radio Hulun Buir Jul 20 Don't recall seeing many loggings from this station.  S5 signal strength with EZL vocals.  Listed in the ILG as only 2000w, although DBS shows 7.5 kw.  Sounds more like the former. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

INDONESIA 4604.96, 1343-, RRI Serui Jul 20 Nice signal with a male DJ taking calls from listeners.  Mentioned 'Timor'.  Answers his calls with 'Allo', and 'yes' (I think). (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

VIETNAM 4739.71, 1347-, Radio Son La 1 Jul 20 Usual distorted signal with some days much worse than others, and today is pretty bad.  Local language it seems rather than Vietnamese.  Fair to good only. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

INDIA 4970, 1358-, AIR Shillong Jul 20 Inspirational Christian vocal until 13:59:45 when a female cut-in with the end of the program and ID for the NE svce of AIR.  Ad at 14:00.  English programming. Fair only. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

SOLOMON ISLANDS 5019.87, 1404-, SIBS Jul 20 BBCWS at 14:04 with ID at fair to good level, and international news.  Lots of adjacent splatter, all the way from CNR on 5030. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

JAPAN 6120, 1422-, ?RFI Jul 20 Unlisted French transmission with mostly African news at excellent strength.  Many mentions of 'we are all Nigerian', Morocco, Cape Town, etc.  Radio du Monde mentioned at 14:40, so I suspect this is RFI, but my ILG lists RFI in Vientnamese at this time from Yamata.  Transmitter location sure fits.  Off in mid-sentence at 14:55 with no announcement. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

RUSSIA 7220.43, 1444-, Radio France International Jul 20 English program on this off-frequency.  ILG lists Chita in the Russian far east as the site with 500 kw to Asia.  Some adjacent splatter.  Wonder if this is a punch-up error since being so far off frequency is a rarity for Russian transmitters. USB to avoid het. Otherwise very good reception.  ID for RFI at 14:49 on 90.3!. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

RUSSIA 15260, 1622-, Voice of Eritrea Jul 20 listed in ILG as Thursday's only in presumed Tigrinya with impassioned talk by a male.  Fair to good reception. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

MALAYSIA 15295, 1624-, Voice of Malaysia Jul 20 Fair to mostly good reception in the clear in Arabic.  I recall years ago that this was quite a dx catch.  They must have been running much lower power then, and were slightly off frequency.  Bang on now with listed 200 kw according to ILG. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

TANZANIA 11735, 1628-, Radio Zanzibar Jul 20 Very nice reception in Swahili, with 'Zanzibar' heard in presumed ID at 16:30.  Lovely African EZL music.  Salaam eh leykum at 16:30:40. Checked after 17:00 and found a mess of cochannels. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

CHINA 6950, 2108-, CNR 1 Jul 20 Mandarin programming at strong levels and parallel to Radio Free Asia jammer on 7105.  Interesting how despite the middle of summer and daylight path all the way (Shijiazhuang is at sunrise), reception is so strong.  I suspect this is largely in part due to solar minimum. Don't mistake this one for an exotic pirate!. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

CHINA 9600, 2112-, CRI Jul 20 English broadcast at fair to good levels from listed Kashi and 500 kw to Europe, but heard pretty well here.  Parallels heard include 7190 (fair), and 9800 (poor).  7285 is fair also in English but a different program feed than the first two?  Program ID's as 'China Drive on CRI' at 21:38.  Seems to be a local program for English speakers in China (?). (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

CZECH REPUBLIC 11600, 2143-, Radio Prague Jul 20 ID in English from a 'hot, hot, hot Prague'.  Highs of 37 degree C.  Beer and water sales are way up.  Good reception. 9410 is barely audible. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

ROMANIA 11940, 2148-, Radio Romania International Jul 20 An old friend that I haven't heard for some time.  Only at poor to fair level in English...not really good enough to enjoy.  Too bad as Prague is well heard on 11600 at the same time. 15465 is barely audible in parallel. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

SYRIA 9330, 2153-, Radio Damascus Jul 20 Fair to good reception with Arabic music.  Parallel to weaker 12085. About a S7 signal.  I still remember driving across northern B.C. in our VW Westfalia listening to the same station on my Phillips D777 SW car radio at very good levels, thinking I must the only listener in this part of the world!  The transmitter cut for almost a minute at 21:57, then came back.  12085 is marred somewhat by CODAR interference. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

CANADA 9625, 0305-, CBC Northern Quebec Service Jul 21 After Quebec weather, Northern Lights music program.  Good over another cochannel station (either Radio Finland or Radio Fides listed, but probably Finland). (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

SPAIN 9690, 0307-, CRI Jul 21 English programming from China Radio International with various relays.  This one from Noblejas, Spain at good level.  Parallels include Cuba on 9790 (slightly delayed, excellent reception), 13750 (fair, direct from Kashi, China), 15110 (Kashi, poor), 15120 (Beijing, fair), and 15785 (Xian, fair/good).  CRI news program. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

TAIWAN 9485, 13:00-, Shiokaze program Jul 21 Superb reception this morning in English.  CNR was audible before the start of the program, but not a problem (here at least) once the program started.  Fascinating start to the program with their description of the purpose of the program.  By 13:03:45 went into the list of the abducted citizens starting in 1914 birth year.  I rechecked at 13:24 and the years were up to 1979.  The same information as at the beginning was repeated at the end of the program.  When giving the internet information, he says 'dot toe' for dot.  Ends with 'thank you for listening.  See you next time.' Off at 13:29:50. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 4890, 1352-, NBC Karai Service Jul 21 National programming from Port Moresby with EZL (ABBA) music.  After an early start at after 4:00 am, it's nice to lean back, close your eyes and be serenaded by PNG!  3 minutes to 12 time check, and end of program (actual time was on 13:56, ?clocks run a little fast in PNG ;-) . Sign-off with all the MW and SW frequencies, followed by the NA at 14:00.  They always leave the open carrier on. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

SOLOMON ISLANDS 5019.88, 1403-, SIBS Jul 21 Particularly strong signal this morning with BBCWS english news.  Sure wish they had local programming overnight.  They sign-off comparatively early then relay the BBCWS overnight. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

GABON 17630, 1410-, Africa Number 1 Jul 21 Fair reception with African hi-life music. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

IRAN 15085, 1748-, VOIRI Jul 21 German programming at fair level.  Parallel 11855 at good level.  At same time VOIRI in Russian is well heard on 7175. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

TANZANIA 11735, 1756-, Radio Zanzibar Jul 21 Strong S9 to S9+ reception with mild transmitter hum, but otherwise excellent modulation.  Great audio!  A real pleasure to listen to and an example of what broadcasters should strive for!  Tanzania-Zanzibar mentioned at 17:59 then IS (drums), time pips, and then into English (from Swahili).  'The time is 9:00', and into news.  When I rechecked at 18:15 they were no longer in English.  Some splash noted from VOA via Morocco, so LSB best. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

TAIWAN 9785, 2029-, Shiokaze program Jul 21 I haven't seen anyone report their morning transmission.  Not in English today (but was local last night) at fair level.  I believe in Japanese at only fair level with identical Shiokaze sign-on. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 3290, 1332-, Radio Central Jul 22 Fair to good reception on past their normal sign-off at 12:00.  EZL western music. Only other 90 meter PNGs audible were 3305 Radio Western (poor), 3315 Radio Manus (good) and 3385 Radio East New Britain (fair to good). (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

INDONESIA 3345.04, 1337-, RRI Ternate Jul 22 Powerful reception with very poweful modulation, and a female announcer repeatedly saying 'Don't Forget', which I think is the title of the song which they then aired (a local artist)....yes, just as I type this you can hear 'Don't forget' in a song otherwise in Bahasa Indonesian.  Pretty close to a 5-5-5 signal.  Sounds like a live recording from an auditorium since there's a hollowness to the broadcast. Also a male announcer, but the female does most of the talking.  Ternate mentioned a number of times at 13:59.  Still booming in.  No news or ID at 14:00...only a continuation of the same broadcast. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

HAWAII 650, 1316-, KRTR, Honolulu Jul 23 'The all new 650 AM'.  EZL oldies (like 'Feeling Groovy').  In the clear at mostly good reception. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

HAWAII 670, 1322-, KPUA, Hilo Jul 23 Sporting news radio with public affairs announcements.  No positive ID but matches format for KPUA.  Yes!  Nice ID at 13:25 for KPUA.  Then into Sporting news radio feed. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

ALASKA 620, 1325-, KGTL Jul 23 'New York, New York', at fair level.  'Jeff Rollins with you' at 13:28, but no ID, then right into 'It's the right time of the night'.  Local ID at 13:34. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

KAZAKHSTAN 12150, 1353-, Family Radio Jul 23 Slow English scripture reading at very good level.  Listed at this time in Mandarin from Almaty with 500 kw.  Very nice signal! Back into Mandarin at 13:56.  At 13:58 'www.familyradio.com', Family Radio IS. At 14:00 program resumed in Mandarin. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

RUSSIA 12055, 1401-, Voice of Russia World Service Jul 23 Very good reception in English.  To Asia at this time, from Novosibirsk.  Parallels include 17645 (Moscow to Asia) good, 15605 (Moscow to Asia) fair/good, 9745 (Chita) fair under cochannel Voice of Han Taiwan, and 11755 (Dushanbe, Tajikistan) poor/fair with huge splash from BBCWS via Thailand. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.