[HCDX] Ham radio operators provide a social service

Ham radio operators provide a social service

They are a network of strangers who storm the airwaves
whenever disaster strikes. So, how do ham radio
operators work when disaster strikes.

It should have been an evening like any other in
Mumbai, but on July 11, 2006, instead of shutting shop
as usual fortune cookie manufacturer, Zyros Zend found
himself rushing to his friends house. While Mumbai was
still reeling under a series of blasts Zyros and his
fellow hams were passing on vital information like
hospitals medicine needs and increased bus service,
after the blasts

Whether it's a natural disaster like the Bhuj
earthquake or the Maharashtra floods, or an attack
like the Mumbai blasts, ham radio operators are a
vital link between the government and victims. During
times of crisis, hams at the scene of the disaster
pass on information to fellow hams. This messages is
then relayed to the BMC, who deploy their disaster
management teams accordingly.

Hams are a crucial backup, when all lines are down
because their network never fails. Ham Radio
enthusiast, Zyros Zend told CNBC-TV18, "At such a
time, we work on batteries. We don't need telephone
lines, modems etc, we need a piece of wire, an antenna
and batteries. And that's how we can come in as a
backup."

After the violent floods last year, Mumbai hams have
started monitoring satellite images for storm
warnings. Some have even started simulation exercises
to deal with emergencies.

With citizen's initiatives rapidly gaining momentum,
ham radio is a great example of how voluntary
organizations can help in times of disaster. It would
be prudent on the governent's part to take advantage
of the hams expertise, and maybe train more people to
react to emergencies as effectively.

Sangeeta Sarma

http://news.moneycontrol.com/india/newsarticle/stocksnews.php?autono=229545

Regards & 73?s