[HCDX] DW RADIO now transmits 45 minutes for Belarus

DW RADIO now transmits 45 minutes for Belarus:

Deutsche Welle extends its radio transmissions for Belarus. From 1st August
2006 the transmission time will be increased by 30 minutes to 45 minutes in
the context of a new morning programme.
DW Director General Erik Bettermann: "Against the background of the
political situation in Belarus, it is our intention to set an example."
After the controversial presidential elections in March and in view of the
desolate media situation in the country, it has now become even more
important to provide the people in this state bordering on the EU with
uncensored information from Europe. "We want people to be able to form
their own opinions, and we are putting the emphasis on credibility and
sustainability," says Bettermann.

The Russian programme of DW RADIO has been broadcasting a 15-minute
information programme to Belarus on short and medium wave every day since
October 2005. The transmissions are in Russian and Belarusian. The new
30-minute offering can be heard via shortwave and satellite from Monday to
Friday at 7.00 am (Minsk local time). In addition to which, texts and audio
are archived on the Internet at (www.dw-world.de/belarus).

This expansion means topics from the areas of culture, industry and
commerce, education and youth can be included in the programme in future,
"and more content can be delivered in Belarusian", says programme chief
Cornelia Rabitz. She says that the Belarusian programme, which is also
broadcast over the Internet, is encountering more and more interest. "In
the last six months we have succeeded in setting up a reliable network of
correspondents in Belarus. This enables us to obtain and broadcast
exclusive information from Belarus," says Rabitz. The tried and tested
infrastructure of DW ensures that the programmes are of a high professional
standard.
(31. July 2006)
(<http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,2115769,00.html>http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,2115769,00.html)

Best regards,