[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 6 (more)

** CANADA [and non]. Is anyone else getting a carrier on 18127? I was at 1940
Oct 6, fading a little, and also audible outside in the yard, so doubt it is
from some device in the house. At times seemed to be traces of modulation on
it. While pondering this I heard SSB QRM on the side from hams, including at
1944 on 18123, CQ 17 from VE7DQA. He mixed phonetic systems, with the D
sometimes Denmark, sometimes Delta; the A sometimes America, sometimes Alfa.
But Q was always Queen --- apparently could not bring himself to say
``Québec``, hi. Also had someone on 18125, I think from Italy (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ETHIOPIA [non]. Oct 6 at 1926, found lo-fi monolog in uncertain language on
15565. Background noise from time to time as if not recorded in a proper
studio, and sent over phoneline, still going past 1932. 1954 recheck, cutting
to vocal music, also lo-fi; 1956:30 YL mentions democrasi and Ethiopia,
addresses in Amsterdam and Los Angeles 9000-something, website, but fade
between www and .org! A few seconds before 1959 went into theme song or anthem,
but cut off abruptly at 1959*. I knew I would be able to identify this later,
as in EiBi:

15565 1900-2000 We,Su CLA V.o.Dem.Path Eth.Unity AH EAf /D-w
15565 1900-2000 Fr    CLA V.o.Dem.Path Eth.Unity AH EAf /D-j

So, non-abbr`d, it is Voice of Democratic Path of Ethiopian Unity, in Amharic,
and on this Friday via Jülich, Germany, while on Wed & Sun it is via Wertachtal
(the sites subject to change, I imagine) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** GABON. I really must tune the 18-21 MHz range more often, even tho it is
mostly empty. Oct 6 at 1934 I found a rather strong steady signal on 19160,
with only slight fading, peaking at 20 over 9 --- but considerably
undermodulated and with some ``generator hum``. Hilife music, quickly confirmed
as Africa Number One by // 9580, where the signal was much inferior. 1946 ANO
ID and put phone caller on the air briefly in French, 1948 back to music; 2000
four-pip timesignal, ID, news with stingers every few seconds.

This second harmonic seems to entail considerable power, 500 kW being the
rating on the fundamental, so if it`s only 1 percent that would still be 5 kW,
e.g. Suspect the MUF was just right and signal was riding the OWF, but you`d
never know it from the almost dead 21 MHz band. Some African relay sites were
also coming in well on 17 MHz, however.

I didn`t recall this ever being reported from North America, so searched DXLD
for previous hits on 19160 --- there are five of them, all from 2006, and all
from various parts of Europe, in 6-147, 6-137, 6-112, 6-074, 6-069. So in the
style of Mediumwave Circle, I can attempt to claim a ``North American first``.

Now they`ve been tipped, many others should hear this easily. 9580 is supposed
to be on the air straight thru from 05 to 23 so you can pick the MUF peak time
for your path. This was a bit surprising, as late as 20 UT, 21 local in Gabon,
well after dark (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MOROCCO. RTM, 15345, Oct 6 at 1924 with muezzin, and for once, no het from
Argentina, either off or not propagating. 1925 pause for YL announcement, more
muezzin, and still singing past 1932; good signal  (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Since I have been unsuccessful in hearing WBCQ on 18910-CLSB for
quite a while, I should note that on Oct 6 at 1930 it was inbooming louder than
WYFR on 18930 or 18980, with monotonous YL preacher (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

http://mail.yahoo.com

Preorder your WRTH 2007:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0953586499/hardcoredxcom/