[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 15-16

** CANADA. The second hour of Sounds Like Canada is well worth hearing today
Monday, as on RCI at 1505-1600, 9490 (wrong frequency again instead of 9515),
9625 (CBCNQ), 13655, 17800 and Eastern zone CBCR1 webcasts: first half,
interview about the Canadian Telecommunications Hall of Fame; second half about
the late Lister Sinclair, of Ideas.

Or catch the Central zone webcast from Winnipeg at 1605 UT; Mountain zone
stations at 1705; Pacific at 1805.

Audio will probably be availablized later at
http://www.cbc.ca/soundslikecanada/

Shelagh said Ideas itself would have a 3-part tribute to Sinclair
Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday this week (Glenn Hauser, circa 1540 UT Oct 16, dxldyg
via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. You`re on the wrong frequency again Monday morning, 9490 instead of
9515 for RCI/CBC. Suggest you just leave it there today until 1600 UT sign-off
for those who are listening to the tribute to Lister Sinclair (Glenn Hauser,
OK, around 1540 UT to Moncton Master Control, via DXLD) First noted when I
tuned in at 1417. The same thing happened last week, forgetting to change
frequency from the R. Sweden relay earlier in the morning (gh)

** CHINA. Firedrake, JBA, Oct 16 at 1425 on 10450 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** CZECH REPUBLIC [non]. Monday Oct 16 compared the R. Prague transmissions:
15350 via Canada had Mailbox at 1405-1409, music break and 1411 Letter from
Prague, which I assume are Sunday features. 7385 via WMRI was not // and
presumably the Monday program off the WRN feed. If WRMI can get today`s show to
relay, why can`t Sackvillle? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** EGYPT. 15670, Oct 16 at 1438, fair carrier, but weak distorted audio only at
talk modulation peaks. Slightly more modulation making it thru at 1504 recheck.
This is typical of Cairo on several frequencies, and this one is scheduled in
Pashto from Abis at 1430-1600. Can`t imagine anyone willing to listen to this
in Afghanistan, only in Oklahoma as a curiosity (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** FRANCE [non]. RFI English still going Oct 16 at 1400 check on 6120 via
Japan; usual weak signal here. After a week, perhaps we can depend on this
continuing and need to note only if it disappear or convert to Vietnamese
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LIBYA [non]. V. of Africa, 17850 via France, Oct 16 at 1435 was mostly open
carrier. When I turned it up and strained, I could detect some very weak
modulation in English. At least there was no hum this time! (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. Once again RNZI analog missing from 7145, Oct 16 at 1402, but
DRM still running on 6090-6100. I wonder if they are starting to phase out the
antiquated AM service? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PHILIPPINES [or non?]. Lively Mandarin service on 7400, Oct 16 at 1415,
which I guessed was CNR-1, but EiBi says:
7400 1400-1630 PHL FEBC Manila M FE i
Did not get an ID, so that`s what it must be --- or is China now jamming FEBC
too? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. The big buzz from BSKSA allowed me to detect their otherwise
unintelligible signal on 21505, Oct 16 at 1433 during bandscan (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. More garbage from the IBB Greenville transmitter on 11930 with Martí:
Oct 16 at 1454 I found dirty spur at modulation peaks only, no carrier,
covering roughly 12105 to 12125, i.e. 185 kHz away from 11930, which itself was
buried in heavy jamming, but unlike previous spurs, this one was no fun to
listen to, even for the highly motivated. Then looked for matching spur 185 kHz
below 11930, and sure enough, there it was around 11740-11750, and QRMing VOA
Korean on 11740 Philippines. How about at double 185? Yes! Also audible tho
very weak around 11550; should have been 11560, so the 185 figure is only an
approximation as there was no carrier to pin down. Nothing heard to match that
on the high side (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 6081.5, approximately, rapid clicking noise at 0520 Oct 15
interfering with VOA English via São Tomé, 6080. Can`t find anything else which
would be a likely jamming target. Could be spur from one of the pile-on
DentroCuban Jamming Command transmitters on 6030 against Martí (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Defunct Gene Scott is being heard on some new frequencies from
unknown source. Oct 16 from 1420 past 1600 on 9975, with no IDs on the hour.
After 1608 it was Melissa preaching instead. Very strong signal here and surely
from US station? Exactly // WWCR 13845, Cahuita 9725. Whence could it be? KVOH
is registered for 9975 at other times, but its one transmitter was on usual
17775 at 1603 check. All WWCR transmitters accounted for on 15825, 13845,
12160, 9985. Nothing on the WHR schedule about this, which has been known to do
unexpected things before. Possibly KAIJ, which ought to be on 13815, but masked
here by Martí 13820.

The SW info at http://www.worldwideuniversitynetwork.com/index.html is worse
than useless, not giving exact times and obviously not updated for years,
showing e.g. 15460 from Costa Rica; and ``11778`` from Anguilla.

To add to the confusion, at 1420 when I was noticing strong signals on both
9985 and 9975, the latter was not carrying DGS, but some wacky talkshow pushing
gold & silver, while 9985 was talking about cancer.

Raúl Saavedra was also hearing DGS on 9895, Oct 15 at 2330 instead of R.
Nederland! When I checked after 2400 it was gone.

But there`s more. Somewhat before I realized 9975 was DGS, Oct 16 at 1423, I
found DGS audio on 10475. It was a fairly strong signal, 10 over S9, but weak
modulation and fading, and quickly confirmed by // 13845 and 9725. This smax of
a mixing product or spur, perhaps originating with 9975, wherever that is, 500
kHz away; or it could even be coming from Costa Rica. Trouble is with all these
DGS transmissions is none of the stations insert local IDs! Except WWCR used to
do so, but I never heard one on 13845 between 1459 and 1503 (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Here`s another frequency inside a SWBC band with 2-way Spanish
SSB: 15182, or maybe 15182.5, in the skirts of BBC Arabic from Rampisham on
15180 at 1445 Oct 16 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

http://mail.yahoo.com

Preorder your WRTH 2007:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0953586499/hardcoredxcom/