[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 26

** CANADA [and non]. It seems we have managed to head off the DentroCuban
Jamming Command and Radio República moving to CHU`s 7335 at 23-04 UT weeknights
as planned. T-systems thought they had to leave A-06 frequency 5910 because of
Ukraine in B-06; however, RUI will not actually be on 5910 but 5820! RR could
just stay on 5910 but may go to 5970 instead (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** FRANCE [non]. RFI, 6120, was back to usual English broadcast Oct 26; already
at 1359 I could make out English announcement giving their website, and in the
clear with opening and news after Singapore closed at 1400. No mention in the
first few minutes that a strike had disrupted programming the day before, as
Mike Cooper has found out from AFP (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GERMANY [non]. DW English, 9700 via Rwanda, had lengthy feature on
Greenwich, Oct 26 after 0530, but this frequency cut off abruptly at 0557
before it was finished. T-systems schedules do specify certain frequencies as
closing a few minutes early, but apparently DW ignores this in the studio, and
leave their listeners hanging instead of wrapping up programs early enough to
match actual transmitter usage (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUAM. Much more music from AFN on USB: Oct 26 at 1250, 5765 was playing C&W.
Why are they doing this, when there is so much talk radio that they can only
squeeze in fractions of various talk shows under the best of circumstances on
the talk stream, which is much better suited to USB on SW? (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. Suara Indonesia, 9525, Oct 26 at 1324 again with crosstalk from
another RRI service, presumably Prosatu as the day before. Around 1340 one of
them was doing Qur`an briefly. Busy with other things after 1400 so did not
check whether the same pattern as the day before repeated (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH [non]. Shiokaze, 9485 via Taiwan, has not been very audible
lately, but Oct 26 at 1326 made out an ID in Japanese, so apparently the
semihour was not in English this Thursday. Maybe Friday (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. XEXQ, 6045, Oct 26 at 1252, ending William Tell Overture,
mixing with SAH, but atop something in Chinese. 1259 recheck, Voice of Russia
IS, and 1300 seemingly more in Chinese. This usage of 6045 by VOR is not on any
schedule I can find. We can only hope it goes away in B-06 so we can finally
hear XEXQ in the clear; but I`m not counting on it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. RNZI analog audible again on 7145, Oct 26 at 1403 with weather
around the country  (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. VOT, 15450, Thu Oct 26 with Live from Turkey. No phone calls today,
unless before I tuned in at 1301. The two hosts conversed, and played a brief
interview with the newly-appointed US Special Envoy to Counter the PKK, Joseph
somebody. He said no country had supported Turkey more than the US against the
PKK, tho the Turks have found that support wanting. 1307 and 1312 played two
musical pieces. Never heard a phone number mentioned or invitation for anyone
to call.

1317 one of the hosts plugged his Sunday VOT program ``The Language of Music``,
which goes into the complexity of Turkish music, and how poetry and literature
relate to it, founded on the ``Ottoman language``, very powerful. Then
mentioned that supermodel Naomi Campbell has visited Turkey, and was arrested
for some misbehavior, tho she was being paid big money on a modeling assignment
(I later heard she had been charged with assault in the UK). 1320 wrapping up
and into a few runs of the IS. Usual fair reception with some flutter and hard
to catch every word. From next week, will be Thursdays at 1350-1420 instead and
on 12035, 11735.

Another Live from Turkey is on the Tuesday 1830 broadcast on 9785, which I did
not try to hear Oct 24, but brought up the webcast. One way to find it is under
VOT at
http://www.publicradiofan.com/cgi-bin/statsearch.pl?country=Turkey

(I am usually engrossed in the wonderful BBCR2 music shows at this time, The
Music Goes Round, and The Organist Entertains, but this time I remembered LfT
and paused BBC on the Real Player.)

On this edition, hosts said that unusually, the phone was ``ringing off the
wall``; nevertheless, the only caller on the air was Christopher Lewis from UK,
whom they had not heard from for quite some time, and were glad to contact
again. (He won a trip to Turkey in August.). Main topic there was how low
minimum wages are in the UK, and elsewhere, immigration problems, etc.

I suspect the hosts have mixed feelings about doing a call-in/out show at all,
since one said the architecture of the VOT building requires them to run down
the hall to another room to answer the phone! On neither show did I hear them
give a phone number or encourage calls, tho quite possibly they did it once at
the opening, which I usually miss. They seem to be clueless about how to run a
real call-in show and encourage participation. Like giving the phone number
frequently, or e-mail address, in each case spelled out very clearly --- if
they can even get e-mail while live on the air. The could announce a topic of
discussion for starters, not always about current events or politics, something
funny or novel.

Anyhow, they plan to keep doing the LfT shows, and from B-06 the Tuesday
edition will be at 1950-2020 UT on 6055, even less likely to be audible in NAm.
Another nice thing about listening to the webcast is that the ``transmitter``
stays on during the 10 minutes of the lovely piano-variations IS which follows
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 5730, some kind of utility pulsing noise, which might be taken
for jamming, mixed with occasional ``birdcalls``, 1250 UT Oct 26 Any ideas?
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

http://mail.yahoo.com

Preorder your WRTH 2007:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0953586499/hardcoredxcom/