[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 31

** CANADA. Altho on Monday Oct 30, RCI`s morning broadcast still carried the
doomed CBC programs, The Current and Sounds Like Canada, on Tuesday Oct 31,
RCI`s new production, The Link, was actually aired on 9515, 13655 and 17820.
Tuned in at 1409 to hear an RCI-produced program with Lynn DesJardins, about a
Kurdish-Canadian accused of involvement with the `terrorist` PKK organization.
At 1420 another feature about immigrant entrepreneurs. This is clearly The Link
part I, intended for domestic consumption. At 1450 there was a This Day in
History feature, Jim Craig talking with Marc Montgomery about the Québec
separatist referendum, which barely failed in the 1990s. (TDIH on any station
is a sure way to fill time without having to come up with original material.)

At 1500 Marc welcomed shortwave listeners to The Link, Part II, as he
mistakenly believes part I is not on SW, according to the original publicity
for the project. Took about two minutes to tease the remainder of the hour, and
RCI-produced news ran from 1502 to 1507. Altho it had some actualities, somehow
it doesn`t match the standard we are used to from CBC news. A topic coming up:
could there be riots here in Canada like there were in France one year ago
(another calendar-driven idea); but then first into global warming discussion.

I suppose CBCNQ 9625 had Sounds Like Canada after 1500, but reception was very
poor. Earlier at 1410 they were in Inuktituk as usual, and guess what --- for
the second day in a row, altho I e-mailed Sackville master control yesterday
about it, 15240 again carried CBCNQ instead of R. Sweden in English, when
checked at 1433. I also had checked 15240 in the previous half-hour and then it
was R. Sweden, in Swedish. Something must be misprogrammed in the automation
requiring a human override once they get around to it. Meanwhile, R. Sweden`s
English SW listeners in central and western NAm are out of luck (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** FRANCE [and non]. Oct 31 during the 1400 hour checked the listed frequencies
in 6-162, for RFI in English: nothing audible on 7180 or 9580, but neglected to
check 15615 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. Suara Indonesia, 9525 again Oct 31 was running big open carrier
with hum at 1409 and later during that hour. Why, o why, won`t they just play
back the previously aired English hour from 0800 instead of burning 250 kW for
nothing, except perhaps keeping the transmitter from mildewing (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ITALY. Rai, audible on 21520 in Italian // 17780 which was much stronger tho
squealy, Oct 31 at 1424 as they were closing the 1400 broadcast to Canada,
announcing these two frequencies, IS and off. Can anyone think of any other
external SW service targeted specifically at Canada rather than North America,
or the USA with Canada ignored or assumed to be included? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN [non]. See CANADA

** THAILAND. R. Thailand tentative B-06 English, with azimuths, Udorn u.o.s.;
needs to be confirmed:
0000-0030  9680 256 to SAf
0030-0100  5890 190 Greenville
0300-0330  5890 180 Delano [back to 03 instead of 02 in A-season?]
0530-0600 13770 324 to Eu
1230-1300  9810 132 to Au
1400-1430  9725 132 to Au [collides with DGS Costa Rica, het]
1900-2000  9805 329 to Eu
2030-2045  9535 321 to Eu
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. Like last B-season, VOA Kurdish at 14-15 is audible here on
17750, tho 75 degrees from Morocco; nice for the music segments. Oct 31 at 1427
it was marred by DRM-like QRM, which then morphed into something in analog
French on 17755, but that disappeared after 1430. Both Spain and Korea S are
scheduled on this frequency, but not in French (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. KAIJ again missing from 9340 during the 1400 hour of Oct 31. This
frequency does not appear in the initial FCC B-06 schedule, tho it still has
13815 which I believe has finally been abandoned due to the proximity of R.
Martí, and the DentroCuban Jamming Command on 13820 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

(http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)

Preorder your WRTH 2007:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0953586499/hardcoredxcom/