[HCDX] Glenn Hauser`s St. Helena report

I took 5 pages of notes on the RSH broadcast, and did not even hear it from one
end to the other. Including music titles where possible, names of people called
or mentioned, etc. Rather than a minute-by-minute rundown, I will just mention
some important points, especially if not mentioned much by anyone else.

Tuned in at 1801 UT Nov 4 (did I really say it started at 1830 on WOR 1334?),
on the FRG-7 hooked up to the E-W longwire of 75-100 feet, my usual main
receiver. Nothing at all heard on 11092.5, but trouble from a ute on 11090.
Other things to do, so did not try again until 2038:

Now the 11090 QRM was less of a problem, and some music could be made out on
11092.5. At 2040 I switched to the ICF-SW07, which uses only the Sony loop
hanging in the south window, and that was enough to get it better, with USB and
synch detexion available. Even better: the DX-398 hooked up to the longwire.
Now I could tune in 40-Hz steps, but frequency I would be toggling back and
forth, as the signal`s best audio seemed to be somewhere in between the steps.

The Japan segment was concluding at 2129. I took another break, and resumed at
2300 for the last of the European segment. This too wrapped up about 2327, said
about to aim at North America, and altho signal was the best yet now, I was
hoping to notice a definite improvement. Around 2330 the audio went into some
kind of oscillation. At first I thought it might be a problem with a CD player.
AT 2331:30 ID with address, but music breaking up, and dead air for a while.

By 2336 programming was resumed with a greeting from the governor, Michael ---,
who said population is 4000, area about 47 square miles, discovered by
Portuguese in 1502y, and the mandatory mention of Napoleon`s exile; future
plans of airport and hoped-for tourism to improve economy. RMS Saint Helena
calls about every three weeks. Hopes RSH Day will be an annual event.

At 2342 acknowledged ``very nice`` e-mail from gh and hoped I was having good
reception. Explaining the problem around 2330. It had started raining; and as
the beam antenna was rotating toward NAm, the signal reflected off the 1548 kHz
MW tower about 10 meters away, so they had to back off to only 345 degrees. (Is
this something like a VSWR problem?)

Shortly after 0000 UT Nov 5, I noticed that the signal was weakening. Perhaps
the MUF was falling as it was midnight there. 0009 faded down further. By 0030
it had faded up again to good level. At 0039 explained the 2330 problem again,
solved by turning the antenna in different direxion. Later said they had
received 330 e-mails, plus phone calls, faxes, 20 people had been in and out of
the studio helping out during the 7 hours. 2007 will be the 40th anniversary of
RSH, and the 10th anniversary of the SW broadcasts. 0058 closed with a C&W
tune, but I thought the lyrix were about SH. 0100 goodbye, fanfare and march,
Over the Ocean Waves? But the music was cut off.

0103 resumed fragments of music, presumably trouble-shooting the
antenna/rotation problem, still heard at 0107 but then gone.

The people, reception locations, or entities I heard mentioned, times omitted:
Portugal; Oregon; Dan Srebnick, NJ; Robert Ross, Ont.; Tokyo; Chris Brand, UK;
Kerala, South India; Anker Petersen, DSWCI; Montreal; HCJB; WRTH; French;
German; Lars, Denmark; Glenn Hauser; Richard D`Angelo, WDXC, NASWA; Adrian
Peterson, AWR; Arnie Coro; Robert Phillips, Los Angeles; NZ DX clubs; Portland
UK; Silverio Gómez, Catalunya; Andy, 7th grader, new SWL in MA who wanted to
hear his name; VE9WGS; Walt Salmaniw (couldn`t pronounce his name), BC; Dan
Hochfelder, NJ; Todd Roberts, Hilton Head Island SC, near another St. Helena
island!; Raúl Saavedra, Costa Rica; Ralf, DL7DO, Berlin; Tony Ward, VE3NO,
Canada; João Costa, Portugal; Bruce Churchill, CA phone call.

It was a real treat to hear Radio Saint Helena again, and thanks to everyone
who made it possible. Now how about turning on the SW transmitter now and then
when there is local programming, especially news? (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, Nov
6, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index