[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 9

** GUAM. Thu Nov 9 at 1332 came upon 9615 which was just going from Chinese,
into English lesson presented entirely in English for those already
semi-fluent, as the teacher admitted she did not speak much Chinese. Woman went
on and on for five minutes of introduction --- does she do the same in every
broadcast of this program? And at 1337 finally got to the first expression to
be explained, ``the die is cast`` which has nothing to do with death. Fair
signal but clear. At first I guessed it was KNLS, which has used 9615 before,
but axually it`s listed as the AWR Mandarin service from KSDA (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH [non]. With the timeshift in CNAm, I am less likely to be
hearing Shiokaze at 1300, but I was wondering whether they had made a B-06
schedule change. Finally Nov 9 I checked at 1325 and hear nothing on 9485 where
it had been for some months, including English once or twice a week. Ron Howard
looked at their websites http://chosa-kai.jp/index.html and
http://senryaku-jouhou.jp/shiotsuu.html and found that this has moved to 9730
while the 2030 broadcast in Japanese has moved from 9785 to 9645 (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. VOT`s Live from Turkey, Thursday Nov 9 started at 1348 with its
theme music, this time hosted by a M&W. Gave phone number only twice at the
outset; I think it was 90-312-411-896. Started listening on 12035, but then
found 11735 had a much more solid signal, however with the usual WYFR Spanish
QRM from 11740. Mentioned that tomorrow would be a holiday commemorating
Atatürk with sirens. At 1355 another M voice talked about doing voice-over for
documentary on Turkey`s Red Crescent aid to tsunami victims in Aceh and Sri
Lanka, for which Turkey does not get the credit it deserves, but instead one
hears about its shortcomings. Did not get the names of the presenters, but once
thought I heard Sedef mentioned, so maybe one of them was Sedef Somaltin,
a.k.a. frequency manager. At 1405, break for a song in Turkish, followed by
discussion of US elexion results. Never heard any callers, not even David
Crystal.

11735 is supposed to be 95 degrees to Asia, and 12035 at 310 degrees to Europe
(and NAm further on in same direxion), both from Emirler site. See my previous
speculation about why 11735 is putting a better signal in here than 12035, the
opposite of what would be expected. Have they swapped antennas for these two?
Or is reception at this hour better by long path than short path?

Also, since we have had two reports recently of Emirler transmitters producing
leapfrog mixing products, we ought to look for VOT during the 1330 hour in
English also on 11435 and 12335 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index

Preorder your WRTH 2007: