Re: [HCDX] Dxers Unlimited´s weekend edition for 29-30 March 2008

Radio Havana Cuba

Dxers Unlimited

Dxers Unlimited´s weekend edition for 29-30 March 2008

By Arnie Coro

Radio amateur CO2KK

Hi amigos radioaficionados around the world, and in space, welcome to the weekend edition of your favorite radio hobby program, the one and only that provides full coverage of the more than 84 different ways that you and I enjoy playing with our radios... From the Cuban young radio amateur that is now attempting to repair a 20 years old two meters band handie talkie to try to access ham radio satellites, to the old timer who wrote to me via e-mail saying that he was listening on a homebrew antique replica, a regenerative receiver using the so called space charge detector so popular in Australia and New Zealand in the very early days of radio.I also received a nice report from a Canadian listener that is picking up Dxers Unlimited using his bedside small portable without an external antenna.... Si amigos, yes my friends, you can be sure that people do enjoy this hobby a lot, and even when it seems like propagation is very poor , sometimes you can pick up rare DX, precisely because the poor propagation wipes out some of the high power regular stations that are picked up at your location.... Now let me give you yet another wonderful of how radio has help a lot of persons to live a better life. For people that have poor hearing or are totally deaf, enjoying the radio hobby is still possible thanks to the use of the digital communications modes, that allow keyboard to keyboard communications , without the operators having to listen to any sound whatsoever. You can be sure taht amateur radio is a great hobby that makes possible for people with severe hearing loss or that have totally lost hearing to meet new friends, participate in digital modes contests and share with others their ham radio experience... And as I said right here last week ,for highly qualified engineers and telecommunications technicians , the radio hobby makes possible to perform some very interesting experiments using the amateur band frequencies... some of those experiments have become classics, like the ones made to determine the frequencies that propagated above 25 megaHertz from areas located North and South of the Earth´s equator, when the solar activity was so low that the F2 layer will not support such communications links.

European and African ham radio operators fully documented the existence of what we now know as Trans Equatorial Propagation or TEP , that gives so many nice two way contacts on the 12, 10 and above all on 6 meters, although 2 meters band transequatorial propagation events do happen too.

Stay here on this frequency or world wide web Internet connection, as the weekend edition of Dxers Unlimited will continue in a few seconds... I am Arnie Coro, radio amateur CO2KK in Havana..

You are listening to Radio Havana Cuba, the name of this show is Dxers Unlimited and if you are listening for the first time to this program with your new short wave radio, let me give you a nice welcome in three languages, bienvenido, bienvenue, welcome amigo !!! Its nice to have you join me here and also become part of the the ever increasing group of radio hobby enthusiasts that listen regularly to my program and communicate with me via e-mail, so now let me give you a new e-mail address that you can use to send your signal reports and comments about this and other Radio Havana Cuba programs... it is very easy to send using the standard phonetic alphabet... ready to copy, OK, here we go.

It is inforhc at enet dot cu, now let me say it slowly and using the International Civil Aviation Organization´s phonetic alphabet...

It is India Nancy Foxtrot Romeo Hotel Charlie, the symbol for at , Echo, Nancy Echo Tango... now , just in case there was a little QSB, or fading, let´s repeat the new e-mail address for Dxers Unlimited... or on the air via amateur radio. It is India Nancy Foxtrot Romeo Hotel Charlie, the symbol for at , Echo, Nancy Echo Tango. The e-mail address arnie at rhc dot cu will continue to be active too, but inforhc at enet dot cu will be using a new faster server, so please try to use it from now on.

And here is now one of the most popular sections of the program... The technical topics segment, that today will be devoted, as requested by many listeners , to a panoramic view of the DX-160, a transmitter built with recycled components at very low cost... The idea behind the DX-160 is to increase the usage of the 160 meters amateur band, because recent radio frequency spectrum use analysis made by professional organizations show that 160 meters , an amateur radio band, is seeing very little use, and that amigos is not good, because the 1.8 to 2.0 megaHertz band may soon become the target of spectrum hungry professional users, that believe it will be a very useful band for local digital narrow band links.

The DX-160 will soon be presented at an upcoming technical meeting of the Cuban Radio Amateurs Federation, and I expect this presentation to bring up a lot of interest on that band that at this moment is mostly used by Dxers and during ham radio contests.

---------------

Now more information about the latest analysis of solar activity by experts that is stirring up a debate about the three active sunspot regions now moving across the solar disc.

Some solar gurus say that the sunspots belong to the old cycle, that is cycle 23 that started way back in 1996, while another group of scientists are in doubt, arguing that although the new sunspots are close to the solar equator and have the magnetic polarity of the spots of the old solar cycle, at least two of them could be forming part of the initial events of solar cycle 24.

The argument behind this line of thought is that when sunspots are located near the equator, they may have the same polarity as the ones from the old cycle, but they do belong to the new cycle.

So amigos, it seems like we must still wait a few more weeks or even months until it would be possible to arrive at a definite conclusion regarding the actual start up of the solar cycle...

The good news is that the ionosphere really doesn´t care much to what solar cycle the sunspots belong, so we are seeing much better short wave propagation during the past week due to the enhanced solar activity... Spanish radio amateurs have reported excellent signals on the ten meters or 28 megaHertz band from South America, and here in Havana, I am picking up signals also from South America on the 20, 17, 15 and 10 meters bands.

But the bad news is that it seems like we will again have to deal with an extended period of extremely low solar activity and absolutely quiet geomagnetic conditions...

For those of you that have asked about how to find the information required to fully understand how the TTFD or Tilted Terminated Folded Dipole antenna works. Again let me guide you to the website where the TTFD has been so well researched by L.B. Cebik, who is offering at his website a treasure chest of antenna related information...Ready to copy, OK here we go with the the URL , it is is www.cebik.com <http://www.cebik.com/>, again slowly and in phonetics... Charlie, Echo, Bravo, India, Kilo, symbol for period, Charlie Oscar Mike.... Look for the comprehensive information about the TTFD antenna, and you will find some very interesting comparisons about the performance between different lengths of these unique broadband antennas at different frequencies. The TTFD, as I have said here many times, is a compromise antenna system, a good choice if you can only install a single antenna and want to cover a wide frequency range. I even use a small sized one to provide a scanner with a low cost antenna, that provides excellent coverage between 25 and 100 megaHertz, a four to one frequency ratio.

For example, a 3 meters long TTFD will be your choice if you want to monitor the VHF bands from 25 to 100 megaHertz , and it will work quite well, without you needing to use an antenna tuner..

I have also written a set of step by step instructions on how to make your own TTFD, that can be sent via e-mail as a compact, rather small attachment, so if you really want to test drive the TTFD antenna system for short wave reception, just send me an e-mail to the new address It is India Nancy Foxtrot Romeo Hotel Charlie, the symbol for at , Echo, Nancy Echo Tango, and I will send you the computer file as a compact e-mail attachment...

Si amigos, yes my friends, oui mes amis, this is the weekend edition of Dxers Unlimited and here at the request of several listeners let me repeat the information about the Radio Rebelde´s short wave broadcasts... Radio Rebelde, has stopped the use of the international short wave broadcast bands and is now only operating on the 60 meters Tropical Band, on 5025 kiloHertz with 50 kiloWatts , using a high take off angle main lobe antenna. And another Cuban broadcast related news item, Radio Victoria , from the eastern Las Tunas province, is on the air 24 hours on 1050 kiloHertz, with an excellent antenna system. They are receiving nice reports from medium wave AM broadcast band Dxers, something that is making their chief engineer very happy indeed. Las Tunas province is located to the west of Holguin province, and has several local stations now on the air both on the AM and FM broadcast bands. Now here is our next item here at the weekend edition of your favorite radio hobby program. As said here many times,Cuban radio amateurs are now involved in a revival of home construction of ham radio equipment, including receivers, transmitters, transceivers, antennas and station accessories. The national competition, soon to take place will award nice presents to the best entries on each category. Among the most popular entries are the ones focusing on the homebrewing of rigs for the 160 meters band, that are intended mainly for local communications. My own entry into the national event is going to be the DX-160, a simple, easy to build, rugged and reliable 160 meters band CW transmitter that also has a high efficiency screen grid controlled carrier modulator so that it can be used for local AM phone contacts. The original Arnie Coro´s DX-160 dates back to the 1960´s and I made many nice two way CW DX contacts on 160 meters using it... One of the nicest features of the new version of the DX-160 is that they provide a very nice audio quality, enhanced by the use of the electrect microphones that we are recovering from broken down or obsolete technology electret microphones... The screen grid modulation technology doesn´t use transformers that limit the frequency response, so these rigs sound really nice when heard on widebandwidth AM receivers. Amigos, homebrewing ham radio equipment is a lot of fun, I can assure you, and all two way contacts , the QSO´s made with radios that you have built yourself have a very special significance... and as said here many times it seems like they sound a lot better than expensive commercially built rigs !!!

Try it, and you will certainly agree with me !!!

And now as always at the end of the program here is Arnie Coro´s Dxers Unlimited´s HF plus low band VHF propagation update and forecast... Solar activity is now moving slowly down again... after the three sunspot groups provided a most welcome enhancement to HF propagation. But this period of higher solar activity that even included an M class flare that was the first one of such intensity in a long time, is now coming to an end. So we will see now , once again very low solar activity as we pass trough the equinox ... so, don´t expect much better DX conditions, because the ionosphere will be slowly moving back to a totally flat state... We may see openings on 12 and 10 meters, but 20 meters will be the band of choice for ham radio Dxers... Now the local noise levels will be slowly increasing as the summer thunderstorm season approaches... See you all at the mid week edition of the show, Tuesday and Wednesday UTC days , and don´t forget to send your signal reports , comments about the program and radio hobby related questions to arnie at rhc dot cu, or VIA AIR MAIL to Arnie Coro, Radio Havana Cuba, Havana, Cuba

Order your WRTH 2008: