[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs April 1, 2008

** ALBANIA [and non]. R. Tirana, 13640 to NAm, checked again April 1 at 1430.
This time it was just barely audible, overshadowed by much stronger CVC Darwin
in English on 13635, despite not aimed this way, but with a propagational
advantage; much different than the day before.

Looking for the R. Tirana English broadcast to Europe at 1845 UT April 1 on
13640 --- only could detect a very weak carrier. I understand it is very strong
in Europe beyond the skip zone, and of course on the same bearing as to North
America, so perhaps on good days it will carry on to here.

Geophysical Alert Message # Solar-terrestrial indices for 31 March follow.
Solar flux 79 and mid-latitude A-index 3. The mid-latitude K-index at 1800 UTC
on 01 April was 1 (6 nT). No space weather storms were observed for the past 24
hours. No space weather storms are expected for the next 24 hours.

Solar-terrestrial indices for 01 April follow. Solar flux 78 and estimated
mid-latitude A-Index 3. The mid-latitude K-index at 2100 UTC on 01 April was 0
(04 nT). No space weather storms were observed for the past 24 hours. No space
weather storms are expected for the next 24 hours (SWPC via DXLD)

Also checked at 2000 for the 13600 broadcast in English to NAm, April 1:
slightly better than at 1845, but still very poor; S9+15 reading but signal and
modulation no match for the local noise level. Could make out some theme music.
Also, a bit of splash from WYFR now on 13615, 315 degrees right at me at
1700-2200 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

No reply from WWRB about closing 9385 at 2300, and April 1 it kept going after
a pause for ID and dead air at 2300, 2301 hymn, 2305 Brother Scare resuming,
until abrupt closing at 2347*, so we are making a little progress? (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. RHC on yet another mixing product, 13620, April 1 at 1437, with CRI
English on 13740 leapfrogging over RHC Spanish 13680 transmission.

RHC colliding with HCJB on 12000: checked again one day later, April 1 at 2246,
Mesa Redonda show // 9820 on 12000, this time equal to or above HCJB, as they
took turns dominating and producing SAH of about 6 Hz, so this is definitely no
accidental harmonic from RHC 6000, but a deliberate expansion of 12000 from
morning to evening, tough luck, HCJB, which at this time was mostly music,
Hammond organ playing minor-key Andean melodies (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** GERMANY [non]. DW Russian, 15420 via Rampisham, 62 degrees, April 1 at 1443
with Russian talk about Germaniya, clip of Deutschland Über Alles, and for good
measure ID as ``Nemetskaya Volna`` (have I got the gender right?), as scheduled
1400-1500.

No sign of WBCQ yet, ex-17495, and I failed to check later in the target day
April 1, but Allan indicated it might take a bit longer to retune everything
due to all the snow piled up. Anyhow, DW and BBC have 15420 rather tied up from
various sites until 2057, so WBCQ usage may be problematical before then. UT I
mean, not year. Please check at 2300 UT Wednesday to see if WORLD OF RADIO is
on 15420-CUSB, instead of 17495, and which edition (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** PRIDNESTROVYE. Radio PMR`s new 6040 isn`t going to be much use here as
summer oncomes, but was able to hear last few minutes of German at 2253 April
1. It improved from poor to fair, no QRM at least, but in the noise which will
only grow on the average. We remain bemused at PMR`s broadcasting to NAm in
German, a language native to neither sender nor receiver (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. 15550 from VOR to S Asia has resumed, as it was a major signal in
A-07; April 1 at 1420 ID as ``Radio Seda-ye Azadi?``, or something like that so
I did not think it was VOR at first, but I see nothing else scheduled; with
news, liners every few minutes. This is a Moscow site at 140 degrees. After
1500, IBB Tinang takes over, not yet heard then (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. 15130, usually dominated by WYFR Spanish, April 1 at 1439
with music and talk mixing, SAH of about 104/minute. This must be VOA via São
Tomé, scheduled this hour in Kurdish, 52 degrees; after 1500 it`s in English.

Good signal here mornings on 9320 from a USA service, such as 1355 April 1. Per
NDXC it`s RFA in Burmese via Tinian at 1330-1430 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: