[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs, April 2-3, 2008

** ALBANIA. R. Tirana, 13600 to NAm, at 2000 April 2, opening with correct new
schedule in English, now quite readable, S9+20 peaks with fades (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NETHERLANDS ANTILLES [and non]. Checked the Bonaire relays to Africa at 2000
UT April 2: 17810 with RNW in English quite weak, but it`s our only chance at
this hour; however, VOA French on 17895 was quite a bit stronger, why? I
suspect it`s Greenville instead. What has become of the RNW/IBB relay
exchanges? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SERBIA [non]. IRS on new 6185, English to NAm at 0000, April 3 just caught
closing at 0028 with IS, off at 0030*. Was fair, and atop presumed XEPPM, aside
huge Cuba/Brasil collision on 6180. Back on at 0100 15 degrees further west,
and checked at 0103: poor signal, undermodulated/muffled, and QRM from presumed
XEPPM; meanwhile 6190 and 6195 seemed vacant! Yes, except for Berlin on 6190 if
that is active. Serbia could easily use 6195 at 0000 and 0100 (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY [and non]. After having no signal at all on 7325 at 0300, March 30,
when the new VOT relay via Sackville should have started, I did not get around
to checking again until UT April 3. Strong signal came on at 0259:30, but no
familiar IS, just some unknown music, timesignal which was 4.5 seconds later
than CHU, and immediately into talk over music for 3 minutes. It sounded like
Turkish, and ``Türkiye`` was mentioned, but it could have been a related
language. 0303 into pop music only which could well have been Turkish. So
Sackville is broadcasting the wrong feed! Trouble is, looking thru the TRT A-08
schedule, I don`t find any Turkish, or any other language than English during
the 03-04 hour, to any target area!

At 0312 confirmed that the direct English frequencies were OK, altho much
weaker, 5975 to NAm, and 7265 to Asia eclipsed by strong Arabic music on 7270,
which must be Cairo, English until 0330, but much better modulation than we are
accustomed from them. Meanwhile, the 7325 signal was getting weaker and fading
by 0320, still just music, as I suppose the skip was lengthening and the MUF
falling. WBCQ 7415, the closest SW station to Sackville, was already weak at
0300, but CHU 7335 was still holding up well. Let`s hope VOT can get this
straightened out with Montreal and Sackville (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

This item is updated and expanded from previous report, so replace it with:

** U S A. WBCQ on new 15420! April 2 at 1420, Brother Scare intonations could
be heard underneath DW Russian via Rampisham, with a SAH of maybe 10 Hz. BTW,
at 1428, BS mentioned a camp meeting scheduled for April 19! Don`t we all know
the awful things that have happened on this date in history? The last days are
nigh!

Just as I feared, 15420 is hardly a clear frequency for WBCQ, unlike ex-17495.
You might think DW at 62 degrees from Rampisham to Russia would not be a
problem back in CNAm, but you would be wrong. DW puts plenty of signal over
here off the back, like many UK transmissions. WBCQ was gaining a little as
time went on, but totally useless with all the QRM. Recheck at 1506, when DW
has supposedly switched to UAE site at 345 degrees for another Russian hour,
that one also aiming toward us, still a big collision.

DW is also scheduled on 15420 at 17-19 in Arabic, 325 degrees from Rwanda, and
19-21 in Arabic at 310 degrees.

Collision remained until DW closed at 1559:30. Then BS self-QRMed, as Alex
Scourby was trying to convey a Bible verse mixed with entirely too loud
Overcomer theme music. But now no interference audible, in one-hour break 16-17
before DW resumes in Arabic at 1700.

BBCWS is also listed for 15420 via Seychelles at 13-17 to Africa, but not heard
here with the other stations going [but collision heard in England by Noel
Green at 1630].

However, after 1700 UT switch to Word of the Spirit broadcast, WBCQ in the
clear, no QRM audible if BBC or DW were really on 15420. Not rechecked until
1827, when 15420 was dominated by DW Arabic, via Rwanda. Traces of QRM under,
presumably WBCQ. DW not as strong now as it was earlier in Russian via UK, but
still owns the frequency.

DW transmission break at 1857-1859: WBCQ barely audible with NM preacher. Then
DW came back in Arabic stronger than ever, as expected with beam change from
325 to 310 degrees from Rwanda; WBCQ totally overcome. At 2000 recheck, no
break this time, and DW Arabic continued very strong at S9+22 and by now no
trace of WBCQ audible.

After 2100, DW finished, and WBCQ finally has frequency to itself --- rather
weak but audible without QRM.

WBCQ, new 15420-CUSB, Wednesday April 2 at 2310 with World of Radio 1401 in
progress; fair signal, no QRM. Certainly improved as expected over ex-17495.
WOR 1402 was not quite finished at this hour, so usually it will be the
previous week`s show aired at this time.

Seems to me WBCQ should have got the vacated KTBN frequency 15590 instead, and
inactive WRNO could keep the traditional 15420, which they could then worry
about if they ever get on the air.

Checking on the ATS-909, there was more audio from WBCQ on USB than LSB, but
LSB not totally suppressed (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1402, DX LISTENING
DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: