[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs April 20-21

** CANADA. CFVP presumed, 6030, C&W music with good clear signal around 0615 Monday April 21, in weekly Martí/DCJC truce. It`s totally obliterated elsewhen (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. So much for my recent remark that R. Martí sticks strictly to its schedule. April 21 at 1226 it was still going on 5980, along with jamming; modulation stopped abruptly at 1230 and OC for another minute until 1231*. This transmission is registered to end at 1200, and I have often heard the DCJC still running on 5980 at least until 1300.

April 21 in several 19m bandscans before and after 1400, RHC was totally absent from 15370. At 1441 I could hear something else on 15370, in S Asian language! Per EiBi A08 this is YFR via Nauen in Gujrati, followed at 15-16 by Tamil (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also VENEZUELA [non]

** EQUATORIAL GUINEA. R. Africa still missing from 15190 at 2118 UT check April 20; just WYFR via Ascension 15195 (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA SOUTH [non]. KBSWR via Sackville, 9650, Monday April 21 at 1240-1242 with last part of ``Let`s Learn Korean``, explaining what ``imnida``, so often heard at end of Korean sentences, means, just what I wanted to know: ``it is``, the polite form of ``ida``. Also pointed out that there are postpositions which make it clear which word is the subject. BTW, in recent item about NZ 9655, I referred to 9650 as CRI, but before 1300 it`s KBS relay (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. RNZI Anomaly Watch: April 21 at 1304, after hearing AM on 6170, tuned up to 7140-7145-7150 and discovered DRM was on during supposed silent period. A few minutes before 1300 I had already scanned 41m and did not hear it then, but AM on 9655 was presumably the weak signal aside Sackville 9650 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGESET)

** SOUTH AFRICA [and non]. April 20 at 1354 on 15410, CVC A Sua Voz, via Chile, was mixing with the previously heard alternating two tones, appearing exactly every six seconds, and at 1359 the SAH was noticeably accelerating from 5 to perhaps 8 Hz, as one of the transmitters was drifting (or settling in?). This is the scheduled DW Amharic service via Meyerton, and the tones are apparently a SENTECH thing analogous to but different from the single tones from Russian transmitters, the exact audio frequency of which varies from one site to another (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. REE IS on 13720, April 21 at 1256, but only heard a few iterations so was not hypnotized before went to open carrier and off; fair signal. This transmission to Europe supposedly runs until 1400 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. BBCWS Spanish via Furman, 9410, Monday April 21 at 1235 was doing its usual music-only fill, this time classical with solo violin, then a movement from Mendelssohn`s wonderful Octet, 1248 something contrasting on guitar, 1251 into a vocal piece. VG signal makes this valuable for the music on SW, but sometimes it`s pop (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. April 21 at 1400 I decided to monitor VOA news on 17530 Greenville; propagation varies widely, but could not detect even a carrier, so tuned up to 17531 and switched on the BFO. Very weak carrier appeared at 1402. Not too unusual for VOA to come up late, missing the top story in its own news (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Tuning across WINB 13570, April 21 at 1443, I heard instead the ``running water`` ute totally atop WINB; fortunately, this thing is intermittent. Once it went off, with BFO on it was obvious that WINB`s carrier is quite unstable, warbling rapidly; and then there was CODAR pulsing QRM too (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [non]. Sunday April 20 started looking for Aló Presidente relay from Venezuela. At 1405, 13750 with very good signal, mentioning ``Venezolana de Televisión`` ID just as I tuned in, but then to RHC IS and theme, back to RHC IS, but it was marred, hiccuping three times after 1408; at 1410 it even went off-key briefly. Was this on a tape momentarily off-speed? 1411 to martial Cuban NA, 1412 more IS with hiccups, then the ``gentler, softer`` Cuban NA version which is more of an RHC theme song. 1413 sign-on announcement as RHC, giving these frequencies: 13760, and from 9 am ``hora normal de Cuba`` [which is not in effect now, instead DST], 13680; 11760, 11805, 12000, 9559, 9600, 6000, 6180, and from 9 am, 15370. Yes! The announcer said `9559`, not obvious to him that this was a typo for 9550! Sounds like this is what should have run only at *1100 for RHC itself.

At 1415, fragment of Fidel speech about Venezuela, ``El Pulso de la Historia`` implying Chávez is his historical successor [as a dictator for life], by way of introducing the usual RHC run-up program to ``A,P``, ``Mundo Siete``, week in review, starting with oil topping $110/barrel.

Recheck at 1432, Mundo 7 still going and now I looked for parallels. Found 11875, 11670 and at 1437, 13680. If on 17 MHz, not propagating. All three were much weaker than 13750. All of them had an echo with 13750, not exactly synchronized, but not exactly synchronized with each other, either. Recheck at 1501, Venezuelan-sounding music but RHC ID, and starting another RHC fill program, ``Somos Jóvenes``.

Too busy to keep checking until I retuned 13750 at 1601, just in time to hear the Cuban (martial) NA ending, and to open carrier, as apparently the service was just signing off. Did Hugo ever appear? Doubtful, or he would have gone on for another 2 or 3 hours. Chávez can stand up his Cuban psychophants with no repercussions. They`ll be back next week for more (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Order your WRTH 2008: