[HCDX] India: DD, AIR service may be hit as employees mull strike

DD, AIR service may be hit as employees mull strike

Work in 220 All India Radio (AIR) stations and the 68
Doordarshan kendras may be hit as more than 38,000
Prasar Bharati employees in these two set-ups are
planning to go on strike.

The employees, represented by several bodies, are
demanding the status of government employees, better
pay and filling up of the 8,000 vacant posts.

The employees are demanding scrapping of the Prasar
Bharati Act to make the body a government unit again,
or amendments in the Prasar Bharati (Broadcasting
Corporation of India) Act, 1990, to ensure they
continue getting the current benefits.

With mounting pressure from staff organisations like
the Akashwani and Doordarshan Administrative Staff
Association (ADASA) and the National Federation of
Akashwani and Doordarshan (NAFAD) employees, the Group
of Ministers (GoM) looking into the financial
restructuring of Prasar Bharati has included some of
these in the agenda for its next meeting.

The GoM, which has met a couple of times in the past
two years since it was set up, is likely to have a
final meeting this month, sources say.

Last month, AIR and Doordarshan employees represented
by ADASA had staged an indefinite hunger strike
demanding salaries equivalent to the rest of the
Prasar Bharati employees.

"The issue of upgrading the pay-scale of around 2,000
administrative staff representing the personnel and
finance departments of AIR and Doordarshan field
offices has been included in the next GoM's agenda,
and we have been assured that our demands will be met
within 15 days. Else, we will resume our agitation,"
said Sangam Thakur, secretary general, ADASA.

But the other faction, NAFAD, representing the rest of
Prasar Bharati, has decided to start an agitation from
May 19. "We will resume our agitation from May 19 by
going on a ?work-to-rule' strike.

This means we will only work according to our
designation and status and not do the additional work
of several thousands of vacant posts," Anil Kumar of
NAFAD said.

According to highly placed sources, some senior
officials of the Ministry of Information and
Broadcasting (I&B) have been deputed to see that no
strike or agitation takes place. "So far, the
secretary and other I&B officials have managed to
persuade the unions not to go on strike. An early
solution to this problem is the only way forward.
Else, the work of DD and AIR will suffer in coming
times," said a senior I&B official.

http://www.business-standard.com/common/news_article.php?leftnm=3&autono=321979
Mobile: +91 98413 66086

      Meet people who discuss and share your passions. Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/bestofyahoo/