[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs May 5, 2008 pt 2 of 2

** ALBANIA. R. Tirana, 13600, in English to NAm, was just introducing final musical segment when I tuned in May 5 at 2021, until 2028* Turned out to be the only European signal making it thru on that band, SINPO 25333, so congratulations are in order. SF=68, K=3 at 21 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Solar-terrestrial indices for 05 May follow. Solar flux 68 and estimated mid-latitude A-Index 11. The mid-latitude K-index at 2100 UTC on 05 May was 3 (25 nT). No space weather storms were observed for the past 24 hours. No space weather storms are expected for the next 24 hours (SWPC via DXLD)

** MOLDOVA. I was not expecting to hear much besides WBCQ on 7 MHz as early as 2008 UT May 5, and that was pretty poor, but there was also a US preacher with apparent Bible reading in English on 7430, at least as strong as WBCQ but with flutter. This chex out as YFR via Kishinyov, scheduled at 20-22, 500 kW, 309 degrees toward us but intended for W Europe only. SF=68, K=3 at 21 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RWANDA. DW, Germany in Arabic still on 15420 via Rwanda, May 5 at 1739 check; much stronger at 2004 recheck after 1900 beam change from 325 to 310 degrees (and perhaps coincidentally improving propagation). By 2056 re-recheck it was easily the strongest station on the 19m band, except for Greenville 15185.

I had the BFO on to seek LRA36 (no luck) and back on 15420 discovered that the DW transmitter is unstable! One could hear a slight wavering in BFO pitch. This might have been blamed on my FRG-7 receiver, except there was no such wavering on RCI 15235, and furthermore I heard the same thing on another receiver, and further2more, the same wavering appeared on DW`s next frequency, 15205 which came on at *2059 and then into English, and further3more, the same wavering was on the // DW English frequency from Rwanda, 11865, but not on other 25mb stations. What could cause this? Perhaps an unreliable power supply at Kigali?
All the frequencies were loud and clear in AM mode, and you would never know there was such a problem without the BFO on.

Remember, DW Arabic at 1700-2057 is scheduled to move from 15420 to 15445 starting Saturday May 10, and all will be on the better beam for us, 325 degrees. Will WBCQ then resume 15420 as planned for A-08, ex-17495 where we still heard it today? But there would still be a collision with various BBC sites between 1300 and 1700, not as big a problem in NAm as DW has been, and WBCQ wants to run this transmitter starting at 1300 with no frequency change for the next 10 hours (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VATICAN. Finally May 5 I set an alarm to remind myself to check for VR`s little English broadcast which appears on none of their schedules; is it still going in A-08? Yes! So since it continues reliably, it should be added by those keeping track of all broadcasts in English.

Waiting on 9600, false-start carrier a few seconds after 2311, then back on to stay from 2311:30 with English talk, but about what I am not sure as reception was poor to fair and I had other things to check in the meantime. This lasted until 2314, into IS preceding Vietnamese eastward from Santa Maria di Galeria at 2315.

So this English broadcast lasts 2.5 minutes from 2311 and a half until 2314 UT daily, or maybe a full 3 minutes from 2311 with no false start; or slightly less if you subtract the ``Laudetur Jesus Christus`` ID just before IS. In the clear this date, no het from XEYU 9599.3, which has gone missing again (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Order your WRTH 2008: