[HCDX] Cuba and HFCC

Re: Arnie Coro`s May 6 DXers Unlimited ----

There he goes again, obviously in response to my latest remark about Cuba being an ``outlaw nation``, not participating in HFCC. Or is it? I certainly did not say or imply that membership in HFCC is mandatory! Of course it is voluntary.

Arnie sidesteps the real issue I raise, why doesn`t Cuba participate? It`s obviously the best way, tho far from perfect, to coördinate SW frequency usage, resolve collisions ASAP, and preferably in most cases avoid them in the first place. So Arnie, why don`t you tell us exactly why Cuba chooses not to participate in HFCC?

Notifying ITU as he describes is just fine, but it obviously does not get the job done, as other broadcasters keep showing up on frequencies occupied by RHC, the latest example being Hungary on 5965; and there are several long-standing conflicts, such as Prague on 6000, as Raúl Saavedra has just brought up again. I suspect the ITU bureaucracy is considerably slower than the more specialized single-purpose group HFCC.

If RHC finds the ITU compatibility program is sufficient, then they aren`t using it to its full extent, judging from all the collisions RHC is involved in.

Axually, Cuba is an `outlaw` nation because it wants to be, not because anyone is preventing it from coöperating in the field of SW frequency management. It`s to everyone`s advantage to get their stuff in the HFCC database, and even to resolve inadvertently planned collisions thru first-person interaxion at the twice-yearly HFCC meetings.

Alternatively, each collision could be resolved on a bilateral basis, without any travel, if frequency managers on both sides were doing their jobs. You do need a mindset which allows you to compromise.

Nor do you have to give away any secrets you really don`t want to --- look at IRRS which is allowed by HFCC to pretend it broadcasts from Milan, while everyone knows it`s really Rimavská Sobota, Slovakia.

Cuba`s good friend China participates, and yet engages in even more extensive jamming than Cuba does. And BTW, since Cuba obviously feels it is perfectly justified in jamming counter-revolutionary broadcasts from outside, Cuba may as well register the jamming just like any legitimate shortwave broadcasts. This would certainly help everybody in frequency planning, to avoid such frequencies. Ditto for China.

Why is this any of my business? Because the whole purpose of SWBC is to reach listeners, whose interests I represent. One station per frequency at a time, please (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Order your WRTH 2008: