[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs May 11-13

** AUSTRALIA. May 12 at 1400, found pop instrumental music on 13775, 1402 into Chinese, no jamming, fair to good signal. First checking PWBR `2008` the only listee is RFA Palau, jammed in an `other` language, but surely they would have news on the hour. As usual, only updated online listings would later identify this properly. Aoki and Eibi say: CVC Darwin at 1000-1500 in Mandarin. And RFA is not using 13775 at all this season (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BRAZIL. In DXLD 8-056, and 8-057 MOLDOVA, I mentioned CRI relay via Brasil on 9665 at 0200, but just noise and distortion. Mauno Ritola asked me to confirm whether this was really the case, since in Finland all he hears is VOR via Moldova.

Yes, CRI relay on 9665, presumably still Brasil, is definitely there. UT May 13 I did not get to check at 0100, but at 0240 there was only VOR Moldova // 9480 Germany. And that was very much bothered by much stronger 9660 NHK Bonaire in Portuguese.

Recheck 9665 at 0259: S9+20 open carrier, 0300 into CRI IS and opening in Spanish, but very undermodulated. As far as I could tell it was not too distorted, but muffled. There was a fast SAH, maybe about 15 Hz, with presumed Moldova, which is still supposed to be on with VOR English to NAm after 0300 (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. Firedrake check May 12 at 1356: 12050, 12040, 11990, 11805- under RHC, 11785, 11665, 11605, 11590-which went off at 1400. At 1400, 12050 was open carrier, not sure Firedrake or target, while 12040 was still running FD. At 1411, FD back on 12050, and 12040 FD with a SAH. Also FD VG at 1409 on 15285. This was not an exhaustive search for all audible FD, but at 1413 also found generally weaker ones on 11510, 9450, 9605, 9845, 9930; and at 1416 on 14410, as I did make a point of bandscanning the non-broadcast MHz segments up to 18 MHz. The last surely against Sound of Hope, fortunately staying above the hamband (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** COLOMBIA [and non]. 6010, La Voz de tu Conciencia, HJDH ID just as I tuned in, May 12 at 0643. Lo audible het with XEOI, annoying collision, as both were about same strength, LVC continuing with some stealth religion talk, while R. Mil was trying to keep Mexican music alive (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. You can have a bunch of high power transmitters and a big array of antennas, but still not manage to get the modulation for them reliably from the studio to the transmitters. Weakest link syndrome.

May 11 at 1322, and still at 1335 recheck, found the CRI relay frequency 9570 on the air with carrier only, no modulation.

At 1400, 13750 was starting up the Aló Presidente service, but kept dumping off the air briefly every few seconds during the attempted frequency announcement, then starting Mundo 7 runup show; I listened no longer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GERMANY [non]. DW Russian via Rampisham, May 12 at 1408 on 15420; no sign of WBCQ here or on 17495, but latter could easily still be on and not propagating. See also U S A (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. See GERMANY [non]. Rechecked at 1720: 15420 now clear, but WBCQ still on 17495 with usual religionist declamations predominating on this transmitter, reduced carrier and more modulation on the USB than the LSB, but enough on the LSB to be listenable in that position too, if one ever wanted to. Allan Weiner indicated to me the WBCQ move back to 15420 has been delayed (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Oscillating tones jammer, May 12 at 1316, hard to tell whether it was aimed at 11635 or 11640. Aoki has two possibilities during this hour, tho neither is a*terisked as jammed: RTI in Amoy on 11635, and V. of Wilderness, Korean, religious-clandestine to North Korea via Irkutsk on 11640 (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: